Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

盗み聞き - eavesdropping, tapping

1 Like
  • 鱈腹・たらふくeating/drinking to one’s heart’s content

• 鉄格子・てつごうしiron bars
    Note that 格子 undergoes rendaku, even though it uses on’yomi.

• 賭け事・かけごとgambling

• 奇策・きさくclever scheme, bizarre plan, perplexing strategy

• 気さく・きさくfriendly, amiable, openhearted

• 脆い・もろい1) brittle, weak, fragile, frail; 2) tender-hearted, sentimental, easily moved
    Commonly spelled using kana.

• 悪党・あくとうvillain

• 耽る・ふけるto indulge in, to be engrossed in, to be lost in
    Commonly spelled using kana. Commonly used as a V2.

• 読みふける・よみふけるto be engrossed in reading

• 思いふける・おもいふけるto be lost in thought

• マリも・marimo, moss ball

• もっこり・bulge (particularly one of the “rabbit in your pocket” variety)
    Some of you may already be aware of the mascot known as まりもっこり. For those of you who aren’t … enjoy:

Let me see hold up…能 as in the Noh play. I already know the Kanji but I see this means that as well mhm hm…

1 Like

上がる・あがるto rise/to go up

Uh…how do you blur out hiragana? Also is that a rule that we must do so?

How: Select the text you want to blur, and then go to the cogwheel at the top right of the editor and select „Blur Spoiler“.

Why: It’s not mandatory, of course! But if you blur the reading and meaning, you basically turn it into a tiny quiz for that word, which makes it all the more interesting (at least for me :sweat_smile:). But if you don’t blur it, that’s of course fine as well.

2 Likes

Yay, the thread lives! Been saving up for a few days :stuck_out_tongue:

• ブタ・1. (in oicho-kabu) a hand worth 10 or 20 points; 2) (by extension) a terrible hand of cards

• 滓・カスdregs, leftovers, by-product
    Commonly spelled using katakana.

• さもなくば or さもなければ・otherwise, if not, or else

• 人望・じんぼうpopularity

• 不死身・ふじみinvulnerability, immortality, insensibility to pain

• 木っ端・こっぱ1) wood chip, splinter; 2) worthless thing/person

• 微塵・みじんparticle, atom, smallest piece

• 木端微塵・こっぱみじんbits and pieces, fragments and splinters, (to) smithereens

• 背後・はいご1) back, rear; 2) background (i.e. background information)

• 杖・つえwalking stick

• 松葉杖・まつばづえcrutch(es)
    So called, apparently, because a typical crutch is bifurcated, making it look a bit like a pine needle.

• 股・また1) crotch, groin, thigh; 2) fork (in a river, road, etc.)
    Kanji etymology: Seely+Henshall and Yellow Bridge both suggest semantic 肉 (“flesh, body part”) + phonetic 殳.
    Wiktionary, meanwhile, suggests an ideogrammic compound: 肉 (“flesh, body part”) + 殳 (“action”), pointing to the thigh as an active part of the body. You know, for walking and stuff.
    I’m leaning a bit towards the first explanation, but I can’t deny that the second is more memorable…
    Mnemonic: Gloss 2) is presumably the explanation for the name of a cat with a forked tail.

• 二股・ふたまた1) two-timing, seeing two people at the same time; 2) bifurcation; 3) fence-sitting
    Not sure if gloss 1 is intended as a pun or simply a natural extension of gloss 2.

• 修正・しゅうせいcorrection, amendment, revision, fix

• 円筒・えんとうcylinder
    Keyword mnemonic: What is an “ent o”? Why, it is a tiny ent that has been hollowed out, leaving a cylindrical shape, kind of like penne pasta. Imagine yourself eating a bowl full of tiny, cylindrical ents as Treebeard cries in the corner.
    Ent-o’s - they’re more bark than bite!

• 轡・くつわbit (the part of the bridle put in a horse’s mouth)
    Kanji mnemonic: Wiktionary suggests that this is an ideogrammic compound of 絲 (“rope”) and 軎 (“carriage part”). However, it’s easier for me to remember it as a cart (車) connected to a mouth (口) by two two strings (糸). The 轡 is what goes in that mouth.
    Reading etymology: くつ is an old combining form of くち, leaving us with くつ + = くつわ.

• 猿轡・さるぐつわgag (used to silence somebody)
    轡 is usually spelled using kana. 猿 seems to be spelled in kana some of the time but not always.

• 縄張り・なわばり1) cordoning off; 2) territory, turf, sphere of influence

• 灼熱・しゃくねつ1) becoming red hot, scorching heat, incandescence; 2) running hot (emotions), burning (passion, enthusiasm, etc.)

• 執着・しゅうちゃくfixation, obsession, tenacity, attachment

• 焦がす・こがすto scorch, to burn, to singe, to char
    Transitive equivalent of 焦げる.

• 寡黙・かもくuntalkative, taciturn, reticent

• 誘き寄せる・おびきよせるto lure, to entice

• 化身・けしんavatar, embodiment, incarnation

• 空白・くうはく1) blank space (in documents); 2) void, vacuum

• 愚者・ぐしゃfool, nitwit

• 館・やかた1) mansion, palace, castle; 2) roofed structure on a boat; 3) house-like structure on a cart; 4) a temporary shelter
    Etymology: Apparently comes from 屋形 (“house-shaped”).
    From my reading of this Wikipedia article, it seems that the word 屋形 was long used to refer to fortresses and castles that were primarily intended for military use, rather than residences. However, as the role of the samurai changed during the Heian period, the meaning of the word shifted.

• 執事・しつじbutler

• 迫真・はくしんrealistic, true to life

Ah, neat; I also knew the kanji but not that it could be used for Noh, so I’m stealing this knowledge :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve always known the term Joyo Kanji, I’ve seen it written as 常用漢字 for the first time… Let’s say it was a revelation :rofl:

4 Likes

Watching the anime 少女革命ウテナ taught me several new words~

革命・かくめいrevolution
黙示録・もくしろくApocalypse; Revelation (book of the Bible)
薔薇・ばらrose (usually written using kana)
生徒・せいとpupil; student; schoolchild (I knew of 学生 ofc, but not yet knew 生徒)

• 生徒会・せいとかいstudent council
  • 生徒会長・せいとかいちょうhead / president of the student council

花嫁・はなよめbride
交換日記・こうかんにっきExchange diary (never knew these existed)​

Wikipedia:
An Exchange diary is a notebook shared between friends, who take it in turns to write in their thoughts or other comments. Exchange diaries were especially popular in Japan in the 1990s in elementary and junior high schools, particularly among girls.

Also I just had some more lessons from level 18:

禁句・きんくtaboo word
文句・もんくcomplaint

1 Like

Verb i-form + どころ
the way one ought to do sth. / how sth. should be done
Expl.: この本の読みどころ このほんのよみどころ
How this book should be read.

It’s the first sentence on the cover of the book 驚きの「歴史雑学」(おどろきの「れきしざつがく」)
I found this expression very useful.

4 Likes
  • 判別・はんべつdiscernment, distinction, discrimination

• 細工・さいく1) craftsmanship, handiwork; 2) trick, artifice, tampering

• 粉微塵・こなみじんin very small pieces
    Similar to the 木端微塵 from my previous post.

• 執念・しゅねんtenacity, persistence, implacability, obsession, vindictiveness, spite

• 執念深い・しゅうねんぶかいvindictive, spiteful, vengeful, persistent, tenacious
    Interestingly, this is the third 執 word I’ve come across in the past few days … all of them from JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure.
    Most of the example sentences I’ve seen use 執念 in quite a negative sense; it seems to refer to an unhealthy obsession, rather than just being passionate.

• 躱す・かわすto dodge

• 襤褸・ボロ (noun) rag, scrap, tattered clothes; (adjective) run-down, shabby, junky

• ズタボロ・in tatters, wiped out

• 死相・しそうthe shadow of death, the appearance of a person approaching death

• 抜け作・ぬけさくfool, blockhead

• 圧迫・あっぱくpressure, oppression, suppression

• 屈服・くっぷくyielding, succumbing, submission
    Collocations:
    圧迫に屈服する = to give in to pressure
    道理に屈服する = to listen to reason
    権威の前に屈服する = to grovel before authority

• 奥底・おくそこdepths, deep place
    Collocation: 心の奥底 = bottom of one’s heart

• 動揺・どうよう1) trembling, shaking; 2) agitation, losing one’s composure, feeling shaken

I went to Jins for a new pair of glasses, and they gave me an eye exam. Afterward, the employee said 「乱視です」but I genuinely thought he was saying 「ランチ」He saw my puzzled look and said “astigmatism” in English. About an hour later (still mulling it over in my head), I remembered 遠視 and 近視 from WK, and realized “ranshi” must mean astigmatism. When I saw 乱, it all made perfect sense…

1 Like

大きさ・おおきさ・size

1 Like

Picked up 業火 (ごうか) last night while playing an RPG called Hajimari no Kiseki (創の軌跡).

Hellfire; the flames of hell; raging fire; Buddhist term for a fire that consumes an evildoer. :open_mouth: Fair to say that you probably won’t hear that one in 日常会話…

Also was quite tickled to learn that 強 and 弱 can be added as a suffix to an amount (of time, for instance) to mean “a little more than” or “a little less than,” respectively.

一時間弱: “just under an hour”

4 Likes

明々後日・しあさって・in three days’ time; two days after tomorrow

2 Likes

I will not count WK grammar :smiley:
So the last word, or better- kanji for an action, not really a full word, is a kanji for something “silent”…
黙 (だま)
Found it while searching random words that might be connected to name of anime 聲の形 (Koe no Katachi).
(So since I hear “だまって” or “だまれ” in anime a lot, then I thought it might be nice to learn kanji for this one.)

1 Like

土砂降り (どしゃぶり) - downpour, and
梅雨 (つゆ) - rainy season/monsoon Very interesting kanji that I wish was taught on WaniKani.

From Nihongo Switch podcast which I’ve been enjoying at work since learning about it here. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
  • 跡取り・あととりsuccessor, heir

• 遅かれ早かれ・おそかれはやかれsooner or later

• 差・difference, contrast, variation

• 強調・きょうちょうemphasis
    Example sentence (from a 日本語の森 video):
    「わりに」は差が大きいことを強調します。 「わりに」 emphasizes that the difference is big.

• 皺・しわ1) wrinkle, crease; 2) ripple
    Example sentence (from JoJo): よく見ろ。皺がねぇだろう。 Look closely. No wrinkles.

• 射程・しゃていrange (of a rifle, missile, magic spell, etc.)

• 距離・きょりdistance

• 隔てる・へだてる1) to separate (by distance, time, etc.), to isolate, to divide; 2) to have in between, to be separated by; 3) to alienate, to estrange
    Transitive analogue of 隔たる.
    Example phrases (from Weblio):
    Gloss 1) 区域を隔てるしきり a partition that divides an area into parts
    Gloss 2) 世代を隔てること the condition of being separated by generations
    Gloss 3) 心を隔ておくこと the condition of keeping one’s heart closed

• 分け隔て・わけへだて1) distinction; 2) discrimination, favoritism

• 反省・はんせい1) reflection, reconsideration, contemplation; 2) regret, remorse

Both of the kanji are taught. It’s just the vocab that’s missing. And the completely irregular reading.

2 Likes

Today I’ve learned 皮肉。

The reason why “skin meat” equals “irony” and “sarcasm” wasn’t given in the explanation so I looked it up:

(quoted from here: )

it comes from 皮肉骨髄 “skin meat bones marrow” attributed to the Bodhidharma of Chinese Chan / Zen Buddhism. Bones and marrow came to take on the meaning of essential, skin and meat became synonymous with superficial. From there, 皮肉 was also used as a word for criticizing faults/defects (which stems from not recognizing the true nature of something.), which seems to be its primary current usage, e.g. the JDIC dictionary entry for the derived 皮肉ひにくる says:

皮肉る
to speak cynically or with sarcasm

Although 皮肉 is sometimes best translated to irony, as in the fixed expression 皮肉なことに, e.g.

バイトを辞めたんだけど、皮肉なことに、年中他の仕事でずっと忙しかった。

I quit my part-time job, but ironically was busy with other work all year.

I think 皮肉 works best for cynicism/sarcasm or dark/pessimistic irony, rather than the lighthearted variety of irony.

3 Likes
  • 非難・ひなんblame, criticism, reproach
    Homophone with 避難. I wonder if authorities run 非難訓練 so that they can quickly deflect criticism when a disaster happens.

• 仕留める・しとめるto bring down (an animal), to shoot dead

• 痰・タンphlegm, sputum
    Commonly spelled using katakana.

• 猛禽・もうきんbird of prey

• 金融・きんゆうfinances, circulation of money, credit transactioning, loaning of money

• 金融危機・きんゆうききfinancial crisis
    Example: 2008年の世界的な金融危機

• 貧困・ひんこんpoverty

• 陥る・おちいるto fall into
    Etymology: 落ち入る
    Examples:
    穴に陥る (fall into a hole)
    罠に陥る (fall into a trap)
    経営難に陥る (run into financial troubles)
    貧困に陥る (be reduced to poverty)
    混乱に陥る (fall into disorder)
    鬱に陥る (fall into depression)

• 資料・しりょうmaterial, data, documents, resources

• 一次資料・いちじしりょうprimary source

• 紛れる・まぎれるto disappear into, to be lost in, to be mixed in with

• 紛れ・まぐれfluke
    Commonly spelled using kana. Note that the reading is not quite the same as in 紛れる.
    Etymology: From an alternative reading of 紛れる (まぐれる). One source suggests that this comes from 目 (め) + 暗れる (くれる) - “eyes get dark” ~ “cannot see” -> “to become lost”.
    まぐれる isn’t found on Jisho .org. I presume that it’s an older form of まぎれる, but I’m not 100% certain.

• 紛らわしい・まぎらわしいeasy to mix up, confusingly similar, ambiguous

• 感涙・かんるいtears (from being deeply moved); tears of gratitude

• 噎せる・むせるto choke (i.e. on food, drink, smoke)

• 咽ぶ・むせぶ1) to be choked; 2) to be choked up (i.e. from tears)
    Example: 感涙にむせぶ ~ to be moved to tears