Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Yeah, I already knew about いやす from my girlfriend, who uses いやされる to talk about seeing those kinds of pleasant or soothing things, like lounging cat videos or something.

Want to express homesickness without katakana, but you resent that Koichi tricked you into learning 里心? Try 郷愁 (きょうしゅう). It appears more times in the BCCWJ than 里心 AND ホームシック combined.

7 Likes

I just came across
夜伽 “attending” a man all night long
悶絶 passing out from pain/agony

Needless to say, that book was fun times galore.

2 Likes

上手

I’ve known the word for a while, but just learned the kanji.

1 Like

Somehow 癒やし is odd to me in that 卑しい means a totally different thing.

Just remember いや… which is negative to me…

BTW, I remember 癒やし from 癒やして that I have seen before in Twitter and in a 同人誌 title.

Also BTW, 癒し系 is a relatively new word to me. I only have heard of 萌え.

1 Like

The other day, I find the word 執行猶予 in a manga. Also, I don’t understand the word indictment one bit.

1 Like

乱交

I’m sure this one will come in super useful.

Sorry.

2 Likes

You learned うわて?

Thanks for the explanation! I couldn’t quite tell from the examples I had. The usage difference makes total sense.

Indictment is basically the government does a pretrial process to see if they have enough evidence to make it worth actually trying someone for a crime. So for example, say a policeman shoots an innocent person. The government would start by holding an indictment trial in which a judge and jury decide if they think that what the policeman did can clearly be proven to be a crime or if there were any reasons it might not be a crime or might be at least in reasonable doubt. Then, if the government thinks they have a strong enough case, they issue an indictment, which is basically a formal charge for doing some crime. Then, the person is actually tried for that crime in a whole separate process. Suspension of indictment would be when such an indictment trial can’t go forward because the person being indicted is missing or some change in circumstances makes the indictment no longer practical. Sorry for the paragraph, hopefully that makes sense. What manga were you reading??

Yeah, in the link, rfindley explained it quite clearly.

Maki’s father just doesn’t want her to become an idol. He wants her to study for uni.

1 Like

Oh, whoops, did not follow the link. Sorry. The manga looks relatively interesting.

Also, to jump back to topic, 霊孤-れいこ I am not exactly sure what it means, having not found it in the dictionary I usually use, but it seems to be something along the lines of a spirit orphan from the story and the kanji.

1 Like

日帰り (ひがえり) - one day trip :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I was listening to this great song and following the lyrics to it posted in the comments, when I came across ファフロツキーズ, which is one of those katakana words you can’t figure out, even if you know English. I looked it up, and apparently, it’s the name of the weather phenomenon when animals fall from the sky during a fierce rainstorm.
O_o
It makes sense though considering that the song’s called “Rain.”

2 Likes

I realized recently while doing my reviews and I came across 戦車 that I can read the words 戦国時代. Mindblowing.

2 Likes

cough

戦車 is really cool though. It’s another fine example of the Japanese keeping things straight forward.

1 Like

If only they could have done that for the rest of the damn language.

何気ない
I thought I could use 気軽 but I thought to look it up just to check and it looks like 何気ない is more what I was looking for.

1 Like

I love the super literal ones like that. Very easy to remember!

2 Likes

You’ll probably like 地獄

The word, not the range of levels…or place…

1 Like

It’s a bit more esoteric, but it makes sense. I can’t say I’m a fan of words like 先生. Luckily I was already familiar with the word but those kinds of words I find harder to memorize.

I also suspect I will enjoy the pain of those levels. I’m loving the “painful” levels so far.