Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

確信犯:Crime of conscience, does also have a colloquial meaning of “premeditated crime; act carried out while knowing that it should not be”. As usual, a word I probably wont use but eh.

1 Like

I just recently learned 気を付けて for “be careful”, and started up watching the new season of My Hero Academia, and wouldn’t you know I heard it in that first episode? It just popped right out at me magically.

4 Likes

Given the nature of the show, you’ll be hearing it a lot. :wink:

3 Likes

Aiming for longer words now for some practice and after 民間放送局 a while back, I have 2 more:
交通機関 - public transport
教育制度 - education system

1 Like

Might not be the exact last word I learned but 履歴書 came up maybe a day or two ago in vocabulary and just now I was reading NHK Easy and saw the headline 「履歴書に男性か女性か選ぶところがなくなる」and felt really impressed with myself that I could perfectly understand it. Not that this specifically is like a huge accomplishment but it was a moment of realizing that I’m actually learning this!

Not a word, but a phrase:

Thanks to @pragmata さん。

1 Like

レッサーパンダ @theghostofdenzo thanks.

Red Pandas are a superior animal, so everyone needs to know how to say their name!

3 Likes

Here’s one I don’t live by…

腹八分に医者いらず。

I don’t disagree, although it’s a shame it sounds like Lesser Panda. :wink:

My entry:

迷宮

めいきゅう - maze, labyrinth

2 Likes

It is “Lesser Panda”, and that irritates me. That’s taken straight from English.

Basically, westerners discovered the Red Panda first, and just called it “Panda”, probably from the local word for it. Then they discovered the Chinese version and went “Oh, this looks kinda like a panda, let’s call it “Giant Panda”. And I guess so we don’t confuse them, we should call the other one “Lesser Panda”.”

2 Likes

I recently learned ばれる - to leak out (a secret), to be exposed (a lie, improper behavior, etc.)

I didn’t know this but apparently this term is often written in katakana (バレる, バレ), I think for emphasis. For instance, I saw this in an article about an idol’s dating situation being exposed: 彼氏バレ (boyfriend exposed).

I kept trying to figure out what the katakana could mean before looking it up and learning about ばれる!

1 Like

You mean

腹八分目に医者要らず

And yes, I don’t live by this one either :sweat_smile:

I’ve never noticed 腹八分目に医者要らず before. Till you posted it I’ve seen plenty of 腹八分に医者いらず and maybe skipped over the other. I saw it the first time from a native speaker in PSO2 as 腹八分に医者いらず and had to google it. I can’t argue one way or the other if it is correct. Maybe a lot of people typo it?

https://kotowaza.avaloky.com/pv_eat13_01.html

http://meigen.ko2ko2.net/kotowaza/life/0152.html

1 Like

社会の窓: Jean zipper.

From anime (呪術廻戦):
泥棒猫(どろぼうねこ)Thieving Cat/Adulterer/Homewrecker :joy:

2 Likes

教育委員会 : Board of Education
Was told that the BoE decided something recently and I had to memorize the word to let other teachers know about it as I was having to leave early from school to attend the sudden meeting.

3 Likes

開業医 - general practitioner

Was looking for “opening a business” phrases, but instead found this!

1 Like

Ah, that’s the beauty of WK. I’ve never seen that word before but I can read it and figure out what it means. Yay! :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve been starting to notice バレる a lot after recently learning it, like here in this Yuta-video

“やべー、これ馬鹿ばかバレる”

Interestingly, the word he couldn’t recognize – 驚嘆きょうたん – we actually learn at level 31 in WaniKani!

1 Like

From a FB group about Japanese vocab:

あき or 秋 is autumn, and あきかぜ or 秋風 is autumn breeze.

I also learned 午前 and 午後 but I keep getting them mixed up. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes