CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 10

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 13

LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: Fullfilled

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: Keeping up with reviews during exam season

3 Likes

Current WK level 4 (at start of Feb)

In one month I hope to be level 7

Current resources:
Japanese From Zero (book 3, ch 4); Japanese for busy people (book 2, ch9); basic kanji book 1; wanikani

Current weakness / opportunity to improve
Listening and speaking

• I’ve started listening to learnJapanesePod, and trying to repeat the dialogues
4 Likes

PROGRESS teselacion POST #1:

WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 3

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL: 6 or maybe 7

GOALS

LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: I achieved to join WK and start using it efficiently alongside KameSame and Bunpro for grammar.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: Finish up to Lv. 6 in WK to demonstrate myself that I can be consistent in my learning journey.

RESOURCES

CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES:

• FAVE: WaniKani and KameSame for vocabulary and kanji study, anime (using animelon) and music for immersion and listening
  • LEAST FAVE: Bunpro, it is just kind of tiring to use, maybe needs a little polishing in the UI.

TRY NEW RESOURCE: I want to check out a Japanese grammar book I have in my Amazon wish list but I’ll have to wait until my paycheck arrives :stuck_out_tongue:

JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Little to no knowledge on grammar, my vocabulary knowledge is all over the place and this is my third language so I keep thinking in Spanish/English when I want to translate something instead of Japanese.

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Start to immerse more in the language to actively use it as I start learning more vocabulary and grammar.

HELPING OTHERS

TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Consistency. I’m someone who usually quits if I don’t see fast results, as this is how my parents raised me TwT but I’m trying my best to unlearn this bad habit of mine and doing a little more effort to be patient and achieve my goals by making them realistic instead of daydream-like hehe :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Progress Hantsuki #3

WANIKANI LEVEL: 19

Next month’s Wanikani Level: 21

Previous Goal Achieved? : Yes and no

• Leveled up to 19 (leveled up once a week)
  • Started 2年生 Kanji Drill but haven’t finished
  • Finished Pokemon Special Vol 1
  • Didn’t finish 夜カフェ① but started and finished 恐怖授業転生 1

March’s Goal:

• Reach level 21 (now switching strategies to completing vocab before progressing to radicals and kanji lessons)
  • Finish Kanji Drill for 2年生 after reaching level 18
  • Finish Pokemon Special Vol 2
  • Finish 夜カフェ①
  • Finish 恐怖授業転生 2

• SRS - Wanikani
  • Reading Practice - Pokemon Special manga
  • Reading Practice - 夜カフェ book
  • Reading Practice - 恐怖授業転生 manga
  • Writing Practice - 2年生Kanji Drill
  • Listening Practice - Rewatching anime without looking at English subtitles (or using Japanese subtitles when possible)
  • Listening/Speaking Practice - Interacting with my husband; Genki 2 study group on Second Life

FAVOURITE RESOURCE: (Why?)
For review purposes, I want to give a shoutout to the Genki 2 Study Group on Second Life because practicing with other people and having a native speaker on hand who takes the time to offer feedback and help us communicate what we want to say by providing the right words and explaining the difference between the grammar points are fun interactive ways to study without it feeling like studying.

I could also depend on my husband for explanations and the right words when I need them too, but if I constantly did that all day, it would be a headache for him I’m sure. I would liken it to every Japanese person I meet wanting to use me to practice or learn English - even though it’s my job and I enjoy it (versus most English teachers who choose the job because it’s convenient and would rather avoid interactions involving teaching English during their downtime), I’m sure I’d get tired of it real fast if I felt like I was a 24/7 teacher.

Also in regards to the study group, even if we’re at different levels, we probably all know something that the other person doesn’t, whether that’s vocab or grammar, kanji, etc. Plus, helping out other people is great practice to making sure you know the material as well. If you can teach it, then you know it. My problem is I speak Japanese without thinking about the grammar anymore so I forget what some of the rules are. It’s like making common English grammar errors - people know what you’re trying to say, but in a test situation, you would be marked down.

LEAST FAVOURITE RESOURCE: (Why?)
I like 恐怖授業転生 because it’s episodic so you can technically skip around if some stories are dull, but my completionist side finds that hard to do. I still read the manga because I can for free until around volume 7, but the predictable patterns in the story make it less exciting after volume 1.

THIS MONTH’S NEW RESOURCE I WILL TRY:
I tried reading 獣の奏者 and it was a lot more difficult than I imagined even with full furigana, so I’m going to try キノの旅 next.

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS:
I didn’t get much writing practice last month so I’ll make that a focus this month.

HOW I WILL IMPROVE THIS WEAKNESS THIS MONTH:
I’ve been meaning to write a letter to my host family, so I think that will be my big project this month. This month’s kanji drill should help a little as well. ← I haven’t finished these two things, so I’ll do them this month.

TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE:
It’s okay to change strategies and/or backtrack if a resource or native material is too difficult to tackle for you at that time. Sometimes it’s a little frustrating, but being able to change strategies and make it a goal to read something or approach a resource later after having finished “x” is important to make sure you can keep progressing. If you push yourself too much to use or understand something, if it becomes too much of a chore, you’re more likely to avoid it entirely.

For me, I wanted so badly to read 獣の奏者 but knowing how much it took me to read a couple pages versus 夜カフェ was a bit disappointing. I put off reading the other books I have (even 夜カフェ when I finally got my own copy) thinking I’ll pick up 獣の奏者 again soon. I could’ve also started キノの旅 while I was debating what to do, but instead I wasted a lot of potential spent reading a book vs. the book I wanted to read.

And the problem wasn’t I wanted to read 獣の奏者 more than the others. I wanted to read all 3 equally, but I had checked out 獣の奏者 from the library. And knowing how long it took to get it and that I had a deadline to have it read and returned by made it unfortunately a priority. I didn’t want to be in the same situation as I was with 夜カフェ having only read halfway and needing to return it. And since I was also reading two manga at the time, I felt like maybe I could’ve finished on time if I had just read that one book only.

At least thanks to the Read Every Day Challenge, I stuck to the habit of at least reading a chapter from one of the manga, so I’m not kicking myself too much. But I wish I could’ve just admitted it was time to call it quits so I could get more book/novel reading practice with another book.

4 Likes

Progress Post #3

WK level: 35
Previous goal level: 35 :tada:
Next month’s goal level: 38

Last month’s goals:
:white_check_mark: Clear review backlog on Bunpro
:white_check_mark:/:x: Watch a video from Comprehensible Japanese each day. (I forgot about a third of the time)
:white_check_mark: Get a bit of extra reading in on weekends

This month’s goals:
Evaluate Anki mode for WK
More Comprehensible Japanese
Regularly reading a web novel on my own

Current Japanese Resources:

SRS - WaniKani, BunPro
Content - Comprehensible Japanese , Vtuber clips and tweets, Syousetsu

Current Japanese Weakness:
Grammar

How I will improve this weakness this month:
I finished my review backlog on Bunpro and started back on the N3 points. I was expecting to forget more than I did, so now it’s just a matter of tightening things up as I progress through this section. Ideally I’ll have all of the N3 points added in about 2 months and then I’ll pause grammar lessons for a while.

I think a fan translation I was reading has died (or will die in the near future). I had tried reading a bit of it on my own half a year ago and had mixed success. Going back to it will make a good compliment for Bunpro, but I’m not sure what a comfortable pace will be yet.

I saw someone that was a bit down on themselves for struggling with WK. Don’t worry about it. Getting kind of vague out of context flash cards is pretty much the worst case scenario.

3 Likes

PROGRESS PetiteChose #4

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 40

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL : I would like to reach 43

Previous Goal Achieved? :
Not at all.
For Wanikani level, I will reach level 41 tomorrow.
For listening practice, it is very complicated to find interresting material that I can understand. Fortunately, my teacher is helping me. He makes me listen to an audio book and repeat after, more slowly. He also provided me the text and audio of that book.
For reading, still haven’t started a book, I really lack motivation for that…
However, I finally started using Anki. I found a good deck online for N2.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:
-Practice listening. I will keep looking for Youtube video, but I think I will try audio book with their written version. That might be interresting.
-Practice reading. I think I will simply stuck with Shinkanzen Master since I definitely lack motivation for books.

RESOURCES:
Still happy with Wanikani, Italki/Asao and Sou Matome.
I still play games in Japanese and started Anki (hoorray !).
I also received my Shinkanzen Master for N2 reading.

FAVE:
Still Asao and Italki, the best investment in my life. Sinkanzen proved to be effective for reading when I passed N3. Games, though, it’s wheter too hard or too easy for N2 hahaha.

LEAST FAVE:
Anki. I just don’t like it. I have no choice if I want to learn vocab, but still, it’s not so well made when I compare it to Wanikani.

TRY NEW RESOURCE:
I have to start my Shinkanzen Master for N2 reading.
Find a Youtube channel or podcast.
I think I will try audio books and find the related written book. It might be good practice !

Still speaking
And still also need reading/listening practice for N2 that is comming way too soon.

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE:
I think audio/written books might be good practice for listening and reading. I have a feeling that I will be more motivated than just reading it. I will listen to it in the train for example, then read the parts I don’t understand. Hopefully it will give me motivation to just read books, let’s see.

Try to make your study an habit. I am experiencing a lack of motivation lately and at least, Wanikani and lessons with teacher became a strong habit so it’s easy to do even though I am not motivated. Now, I need to make reading a bit an habit as well so it becomes easy. At least, my games are in Japanese so I didn’t cut off all reading resources.
Also, I want to add one thing about Wanikani. Lately I had 200 review every morning and it was a nightmare. So I decided 2 things : first, slow down my pace a little. I did less lessons to reduce my apprentice (I had 180> and decided to keep them at 100<) so it took more time to level up, but my accuracy went up. I still have bad days, but my good days are now much better than before. So keeping a low apprentice number is actually a thing. I know everyone talks about it here on Wanikani, but after experiencing it, yeah. Keep apprentice low, it really helps.
Second, I try not to do all my reviews in the morning. So now, I don’t wake up with 200 items all in the morning and I can do small reviews 2/3 times a day, which is more confortable.

3 Likes

#PROGRESS POST #: 3
#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 12 (yahoo!)
IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 13, but it took me 30+days to get off of 11, so who knows

#GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: My goal was to finish level 11 (done!), figure out how to use a Japanese dictionary (started), and type Japanese characters in English language posts (didn’t touch it). I have read the Tofugu essays on how to use Kanji dictionaries (wow that’s not easy), and have opened up jisho.org–so, progress.

THIS MONTH’s GOAL–still figure out how to type Japanese characters in English posts, and keep going with level 12. Maybe actually use jisho.org?

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Same as last month.
HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Same as last month.

#HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: This month, my only advice is “one rung at a time” as someone else described it on another board. Looking up to see how far you have to go can be as disheartening as looking down and seeing how far you have come. :wink:

3 Likes

Progress Darielquinta #1

Current WaniKani level: 3

In one month, I hope to be level: 5

This Month’s Goal:
This month, I want to continue to spend at least 30 minutes per day using WaniKani and reading my textbooks. I plan on doing most/all of the reviews once they are available. Thankfully, I’m at the point where I don’t have too many reviews yet, so I’ll be able to manage this. I also get a surface level understanding of grammar with the Tae Kim book.

• WaniKani
  • Tae Kim
  • Japanese From Zero
  • Genki 1
  • Duolingo

Fave:
WaniKani is my favorite because the system that is uses. It’s so much fun when I do my reviews every day and I feel like I know so much Kanji now lol.

Least Fave:
Genki 1 is my least favorite because it’s feels boring at times, which, considering its price, sucks. I want to read some more of it this month so maybe my opinion will change?

New Resource:
My voice. I don’t speak the Kanji/sentences out loud when I’m using WaniKani/Duolingo which is really bad. This month, I’ll try to create a habit of speaking the words out loud (no promises though).

Speaking and anything to do with grammar/creating sentences.

How I Will Improve This Weakness:
Getting into the habit of speaking Japanese and maybe using Bunpro? I’ve heard other people use it but I’ve never heard of it before.

Tip/Advice For Learning Japanese:
I first started learning Japanese in 2018, but I eventually stopped because I spent my time doing other things. I decided to come back to Japanese when I took Japanese 1 in 2021 because it made learning Japanese a lot more fun to me. Now, I’ve been a lot more consistent than I was four years ago. My advice would be to make learning Japanese a fun experience (like watching anime for 100 hours). If you treat it as if it’s a job, then you probably won’t get much out of it overall. See you all next month! :smile_cat:

6 Likes

PROGRESS teselacion POST #2:

WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL : 6

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL : 8 or maybe even 9

GOALS

LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: OMG it was such a rollercoaster, I was constantly shifting between “i’m never going to learn this” and “goddamn why was I even struggling??”. I had fun, learned a lot about how my memory and learning works, I feel like I’m accomplishing my goals on time and actually am able to use what I learnt!

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: I want to see if it possible to reach level 9 this month, I am going at a somewhat fast pace but comfortable still! I also want to start reading more actively, so I purchased two books from Amazon JP (Kitchen and Tsugumi by Banana Yoshimoto, best author uwu)

RESOURCES

• FAVE: WaniKani and KameSame for vocabulary and kanji study, anime (using animelon) and music for immersion and listening, nothing’s changed, except I can understand a thing or two now!
  • LEAST FAVE: Self-digging vocabulary while reading, damn! It is kinda hard D:

TRY NEW RESOURCE: These books I just bought:p I also want to buy manga, as my main interest is reading!

JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: I still struggle with grammar, but immersion is kinda helping on this, so I guess I’ll just keep going! hehe

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: I need to read an actual grammar book TAT, like, yeah, immersion helps but I need the theory so I learn the why and how instead of the what.

HELPING OTHERS

TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Definitely, I stick with my previous advise! Please, be consistent. I do not know how but apparently having a regular schedule and doing your reviews on time ACTUALLY WORKS!! haha, I really am enjoying myself and get all excited when I learn something new, so being consistent on this has become easy! I’m already 49 days in and hope to learn more and maintain my streak!

5 Likes

PROGRESS Laser #3

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 34

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL : 36

LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT:
Actually for the two last months: The only thing I managed to do is keep going with wanikani. Aside from that…unfortunately not much going on due to busy life :frowning: only other rescuer is podcasts

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:
Life is not going to get less busy the next weeks and as japanese is not my main priority I will be fine with a slow, steady progress. However, I would really like to start reading again. I finished my graded readers some time ago and that kind of cut off my reading streak.

RESOURCES:
Nothing new: WaniKani & Podcasts

FAVE:
Podcasts, since they are my connection to the language as it is used.

LEAST FAVE:
none, time is too limited to do stuff I don’t like.

TRY NEW RESOURCE:
Nothing new.

Speaking, because I don’t do it at all.

Not now.

Don’t stop, even if you have other stuff going on at the moment. Just do a little bit every day!

2 Likes

I’m a couple of weeks late checking in - oops :sweat_smile:

Last month’s target was to get to WK 7, and I just hit level 10 (March’s target), so I’m going to say that I’m a bit ahead of where I expected to be.

Target for April is level 13 (I know I’m going to have less time for Japanese practice in the coming weeks :confused:)

Current resources.
JFBP 2 - currently starting ch 12;
JFZ 3 - starting ch 7;
Basic kanji 500 vol 1 - I’m on ch 8 of 22; but I think I’ve covered a lot of the coming kanji on WK, so it’s mostly for writing practice.

Listening - LearnJapanesePod, works well on a commute or when I’m walking the dog;

Reading - Absolute Beginner Book Club - Happiness, finished Chapter1 this week. It’s really good fun, and although it’s a lot of looking things up (for me, anyway), the forums are great and very supportive - can’t recommend it enough.

Other.
I’ve been watching some of ‘Cure Dolly’ grammar lessons. I found them helpful, but I know it would be beneficial to go back over them again (where does all the time go???)
Study logs - reading other peoples has been really helpful and motivating; started my own, and it’s also useful.

Reading Ch11 of JFBP 2 today, I was really chuffed (pleased / proud of myself) that I could read all the kanji, and even write in some kanji where they had hiragana.
I had got to this point in the book in May ‘20, but I couldn’t read any kanji then (and my Japanese practice crashed and burned shortly after that), so this is me 2.0 :rofl::partying_face::tada::rofl:

3 Likes

Progress Hantsuki #4

WANIKANI LEVEL : 22

Next month’s Wanikani Level : 23

Previous Goal Achieved? : Yes and no

• Leveled up to 22 (passed the original goal of 21)
  • Finished 恐怖授業転生 2
  • Didn’t finish Pokemon Special Vol 2
  • Didn’t finish 夜カフェ①
  • Didn’t finish 2年生 Kanji Drill

Not written in original goals but:

• Finished 恐怖授業転生 3
  • Finished 恐怖授業 1
  • Finished 恐怖授業 2
  • Finished ハピネス(1)
  • Finished ハピネス(2)
  • Finished ハピネス(3)
  • Finished 絵本 佐賀のがばいばあちゃん

April’s Goal :

• Prioritize review (particularly level 21) and level up once when ready
  • Do Kanji Drill for 2年生
  • Finish Pokemon Special Vol 1
  • Finish 夜カフェ①
  • Finish 恐怖授業転生 4
  • Keep up with the Intermediate Book Club (佐賀のがばいおばあちゃん)

CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES :

• SRS - Wanikani
  • Reading Practice - 夜カフェ book
  • Reading Practice - 佐賀のがばいおばあちゃん book
  • Writing Practice - 2年生Kanji Drill
  • Writing Practice - Translating lesson plans into Japanese for 担任先生 at 小学校
  • Listening Practice - Rewatching anime without looking at English subtitles (or using Japanese subtitles when possible)
  • Listening/Speaking Practice - Interacting with my husband, teachers at work, nursery school teachers; Genki 2 study group on Second Life

FAVOURITE RESOURCE : (Why?)
This month I read 絵本 佐賀のがばいばあちゃん which is the picture book version of the novel(? non-fiction book?) version of 佐賀のがばいばあちゃん. It’s much shorter at 27 pages compared to the 200+ page book, but it focuses on telling a simple story of the author’s experiences in rural Saga with his grandmother and highlights some of the more forgotten words/objects that children today aren’t familiar with. It was a very cute picture book with kanji and furigana - probably geared towards 6th grade in the way it was written, but with the furigana the author intended it to be accessible to all ages. I’ve been reading it to my daughter so she could get some exposure to other areas of Japanese culture, and I’m looking forward to reading along with her when she gets older (and can actually try to understand what’s going on).

LEAST FAVOURITE RESOURCE : (Why?)
I read ハピネス(1) with the Absolute Beginner Book Club (or rather, read ahead). It was a really fast read compared to the other books I’ve read, and that’s mostly because the illustrations tell more of the story than the text (resulting in less dialogue than generally most manga). In the end, I finished it pretty much in one go, even though I was planning to read along and discuss it with the book club, but it didn’t really hold much interest to me to want to keep up with the discussions.

I wouldn’t say it was disappointing, but it’s not really my cup of tea so I just read it to mark it off and went ahead and finished volume 2 and 3 soon after (since I got all 3 for free on Bookwalker anyway). It didn’t really leave me with the desire to want to complete the series (even just reading it through in English) so I would say it just wasn’t meant for me.

THIS MONTH’S NEW RESOURCE I WILL TRY :
Not necessarily a resource, but since I’ll be going back to work and need to update my lesson plans, I’m looking forward to changing the Japanese versions and using some new vocab that I’ve learned since I’ve been away. I think it will be much easier for the HRTs to understand me too if I use words commonly used for their grades.

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS :
Besides writing, peeking into 佐賀のがばいおばあちゃん more, I realize how dependent I tend to be with the furigana in the other books I’ve read. Even when I think I’m reading the kanji and not looking at the furigana, sometimes it’s just hard to miss since it’s right there. I’ve tried not zooming in (since the furigana can be super small that sometimes you need to zoom in to read it), but there’s always some kanji that’s super detailed that requires a zoom in to confirm it’s really that one and not something else.

HOW I WILL IMPROVE THIS WEAKNESS THIS MONTH :
I guess just spending more time on resources that have little to no furigana. It helps if I can find a reader that’s at my level (3rd-4th grade) but without furigana. But typically the books geared to the little ones have furigana so kids of all ages can read it.

The forums can be a great place to find shiny new resources and methods try or even just read about other people’s stories of failure and/or success to give you ideas on what to try, but there are times when the community can be a hindrance to your learning process if you lose track of doing what you need to be doing to make progress vs. writing about it or reading about it from others. Sometimes it’s important to know when to step away when you feel like you’re not getting much done.

Even though the community and all of its members are great, and there’s a lot of great ways to keep yourself accountable so it’s addicting to return time and time again to see if people are watching you and cheering you on, that same energy can backfire if you spend all your time calculating stats or writing advice or reading other people’s advice or updating your goals, study logs, etc.

It’s important to keep a balance and remember that at the end of the day, you want to make some kind of progress to your actual studies. If you don’t have time to participate in the community AND read a few pages in your book, you should consider which one has more value for you at the end of the day (even if the former might be more fun for you than the latter :sweat_smile:).

4 Likes

Progress Post #4

WK level: 36
Previous goal level: 38 :x:
Next month’s goal level: 36

Last month’s goals:
:white_check_mark: Evaluate Anki mode for WK
:x: More Comprehensible Japanese
:x: Regularly reading a web novel on my own

This month’s goals:
Clear review backlog

SRS - WaniKani, BunPro

Everything

How I will improve this weakness this month:
That fan translation I was reading did call it quits, so I’ll be plodding my way through that to supplement my normal studies. However, I also ended up taking a break for most of March so April will mostly be catch up. I know from my previous stats it’ll take about 2-3 weeks to clear up the backlog so that doesn’t leave much time for actual new material this month.

Katakana is super easy to neglect. However, it probably pays the highest dividends for comprehension. It’s everywhere and frequently takes a keyword slot in normal sentences. Don’t be the person that can read random kanji, but fails to comprehend things like this example below.

I'm embarrassed at how long it took for me to get it

If you’re not familiar with this channel, it’s plugging their online merch ltt store dot com.

5 Likes

Progress Darielquinta #2

Current WaniKani level: 5

In one month, I hope to be level: 6 (maybe 7 if I’m lucky)

Last Month’s Goal Achieved?:
I was just barely able to reach my goal of reaching level 5. I spent more time than I wanted to in Level 4. At least I now have a better knowledge of what the difference between 見 and 貝 is. I was able to achieve my goal of spending 30 minutes a day in WaniKani. My reviews have definitely been ramping up, but it’s still manageable. In terms of textbooks and speaking Japanese, I completely forgot so I’ll be sure to incorporate them into my schedule this month. A great event that happened last month is that I got my first year (of many) of the WaniKani subscription! :partying_face: I hope I’m well into WaniKani by the time that I renew it.

This Month’s Goal:
This month, I want to take advantage of more of my resources other than just WaniKani, Last month, I mostly used WaniKani to learn Japanese. Even if WaniKani can be really fun (at times), I need to confront topics that I’m having trouble with, like grammar and speaking Japanese.

• WaniKani
  • Tae Kim
  • Japanese From Zero
  • Genki I
  • Duolingo

Favorite Resource:
Surprise surprise, it’s still WaniKani. Other than what I said last month, I love the emails that it sends every time you level up since It’s very motivating.

Least Fave:
Considering I didn’t read a lot of it, I’m going to keep Genki I in here. To be fair, it’s being used by my Japanese teacher right now, so I can say that I’m learning from the book (indirectly, if that makes any sense).

New Resource:

This month, I’ll try to create a habit of speaking the words out loud (no promises though).

Somehow I predicted that I wouldn’t lol. Honestly, it’s out of my comfort zone to just speak Japanese out loud (unless there’s no one in a ten mile vicinity) which is something that I definitely need to work on. Unfortunately, it’s too big of an insecurity to work on currently.

There’s no new resource I plan on using other than the ones that I’ve been neglecting last month.

I already mentioned it in the last post, but I am not that good at grammar, a fact that I’ve noticed more last month. I feel like I have trouble memorizing the grammar points, and using them in practice is another thing. For example, I’m still not sure what the difference between na-adjectives and i-adjectives are.

How I Will Improve This Weakness:
I’ll be using Bunpro more often in order to engrain the grammar points into my brain. My trial might be running out though, so I’ll have to buy a subscription.

Tip/Advice For Learning Japanese:
Listen to what everyone else here is advising! I know, a bit of a cop out, but everyone else in this thread is a ton more knowledgeable about learning Japanese than I am, so definitely listen to what they’re saying. Another tip would be to be consistent! Make a schedule! Trust me, you’ll see the difference between doing WaniKani whenever you feel like it versus a doing WaniKani at a preset time everyday.

I’ll see you all next month!

4 Likes

PROGRESS PetiteChose #4

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 42

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL : 45

Wanikani level : No, I should reach level 43 within 3 days
Listening : Still haven’t found anything that fits my needs and liking, except for the audio book that I listen every week with my Asao teacher. I will say this goal hasn’t been achieved.
Reading : Yes, I have a good path of almost one text a day from Shinkanzen Master Series.
THIS MONTH’S GOAL:
-Well, I still want to find interesting listening resources, so I don’t give up on this goal.
-Going trough Anki decks I made from Koohi Cafe so I can read books without too many frustration :slight_smile:
-Keep going with Shinkanzen Master Series.

RESOURCES:
I still use the sames as last month :
Wanikani, Asao, Italki. I started using daily Anki and Shinkanzen Master for reading.
I also started using Koohi Cafe to make an Anki deck so I can read a full book without feeling despair every page I turn. This one feels very promising.

FAVE:
Same as before, Italki, Shinkanzen, Asao. That’s why I keep using them.

LEAST FAVE:
Anki is still here. I don’t like it but I still think I can get some results out of it.

TRY NEW RESOURCE:
Still looking for a nice Youtube channel hahaha.
And I plan to pick up audio books for each book I read (I recently joined a book club, though I am still waiting to receive my book)

Still speaking
And vocab/listening for N2.

For speaking, my Asao teacher makes me read texts out loud. That’s terrible but it kinda works. Maybe I should consider doing some more on my side, but reading out loud alone feels stupid.
For N2 vocab, I started doing regularly my Anki reviews. For listening, the inevitable is coming, next month I will start listening to N2 exams.

TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Just keep going. Slowly is better than nothing.

3 Likes

#Progress post #: 4
Current Wanikani level: 13!! I just made it today which is why I came to post!
In one month I hope to be: Level 14. I think I figured out why I was taking so long and can speed up.

#GOALS:
I haven’t done any of last month’s goals, so, yeah. I need to go read (and implement) the “how to type Japanese words” posts.
I wanted to find a kid’s book from one of the other threads and start reading, but even the absolute beginner, children’s books they were using were still beyond my vocabulary. Plus the up/down thing is going to be a mess. When I was a kid waaaay back when, they had records ::cough:: with some of the books, so that you could play the record and “when Tinkerbell rings her little bell” you know it’s time to turn the page. So if mom couldn’t read you the book the person on the record would read it and you could still follow along and map the words to the sounds. I would LOVE something like that for a Japanese kid’s book, just so I can hear it read in time with reading it myself.

5 Likes

PROGRESS teselacion POST #3:

WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL : 7

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL : 9 or 10

GOALS

LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: jESUS TAKE THE WHEEL IM BEGGING. Little did I know, I was going to have one of the weirdest and emotionally draining months, which meant me not being able to concentrate in japanese as much as I wanted. I still tried my best but definitely slowed my pace a lot.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: I have been trying haha but now I really need to start prioritizing my dream of reading a book TwT. I will try my best to learn without feeling burned out!

RESOURCES

CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: nothing has changed c:

• FAVE: WaniKani and KameSame for vocabulary and kanji study, anime (using animelon) and music for immersion and listening, nothing’s changed, except I can understand a thing or two now!
  • LEAST FAVE: Self-digging vocabulary while reading, damn! It is kinda hard D:

TRY NEW RESOURCE: These books I just bought:p I also want to buy manga, as my main interest is reading!

JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: So, idk how but my grammar has improved but is still pretty messy:p so pretty much grammar is my weak point

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: I’ve been trying to read more stuff and try to figure out structures myself, but I’m saving for a book that teaches me a little more formally!

HELPING OTHERS

TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: PLEASE learn grammar from the very beginning! I’ve used twitter a lot recently to immerse myself a little, but knowing a bunch of kanji with no structure obviously is HARD. Also, don’t feel intimidated by kanji, it is actually pretty fun and exciting being able to understand when reading something! In my case, being able to spot one or two words in anime and dorama is so !!! if you know what I mean :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Target for April was level 13, and I hit level 14 on the last day of the month, so a little bit ahead of plan.
Target for May is to reach level 16 (at current pace of 10~11 days per level, 17 would be too much of a stretch (plus, moving to Japan in 3 weeks)

Current resources:
JFBP 2 - I’m currently working through chapters 13~15, final unit; but I know I need to go back and review the grammar points in previous modules. Also looking up grammar when I get stuck ‘reading’ is helping.

Writing: Almost no practice with Skritter, and ‘Basic Kanji 500, Vol 1’; but it’s not my biggest priority.

Listening: I’m still listening to LearnJapanesePod on my commute, or when talking a walk. I’ve also started working through the notes to make sure I’ve understood the dialog and practice drilling it (first 6 or so episodes). Also listening to ‘Japanese Ammo’;

Reading: Finished my first manga in Japanese :tada:, ハピレス with Absolute Beginner Book Club (When I say reading, I mean using the dictionary and vocab list a LOT, but it’s been fun and motivating to read with other people). I’ve also got to the end of Chapter 1 of よつばと!, a previous ABBC read. For that one I got the physical book, man some of those furigana are a real eyesight test :joy:

May challenge: Speaking practice (I may not have much choice in this :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

#PROGRESS POST #:

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 2

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 4 ! Im trying to take things as slow as possible so my memory can take everything in ! I’m doing like 7 and under lessons a day so that my brain isn’t overwhelmed .

#GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: my first progress post

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: improve my katakana and hiragana writing ability ! i can type and understand them pretty well but my writing is chicken scratch…

#RESOURCES
WANKikani
genki
anki core 2k/6k
bunpro
kim’s guide
news podcasts
netflix j dramas, currently on boys over flowers
anime ! currently rewatching my fave irresponsible capn tylor
kana drills most everyday

• FAVE: tv immersion !
  • LEAST FAVE: having to compensate for my bad handwriting by nearly cutting down trees with the amount of paper i use

TRY NEW RESOURCE: im looking at some typing drilling resources and starting my journey to my first visual novel in 6 months

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: conjugating verbs , wa and ga as well.

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: using bunpro more , doing some genki drills, etc
#HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: if you are similar to me and are dealthy afraid of having to review too many words at a time, one thing i learned from the community is to get at least review all the last level’s things to guru before going at it with lots of lessons !

3 Likes

PROGRESS PetiteChose #5

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 44

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL : 46

Nope. Due to personal reasons, I had less much time to do Japanese. I was not able to do Wanikani properly for a whole week and I am late with the book club I joined since I didn´t read at all for a week either. That is super frustrating and these personal reasons won´t solve any soon, so I have no choice but to slow done everythingm even though JLPT exam is coming soon.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

-I want to keep pace with the book club. I will try this week to read a lot and get back on track. But I will also need to try to go a bit further as I know the end of this month is going to be pretty hectic…
-Still in search for japanese youtuber. I am also considering Netflix, especially since they added Hajimete no Otsukai (how I love that one).
-Also getting back on track with Shinkanzen Master to make sure I will be ready for N2 (though I don´t really expect to pass, but still want to try my best).

RESOURCES:

I still use the sames as last month :
Wanikani, Asao, Italki.
I keep going with Anki daily and Shinkanzen Master for reading.
I kinda stopped my Anki deck for Koohi cafe, but I plan to start again soon as the vocab list was well made to my opinion.

I have added new resources as well :
-Hajimete no Otsukai on Netflix. This show is all that I needed. It is cute and funny and super easy to understand. I can watch few episodes without getting a headache and I could even add that it is a relaxation time, rather that practice time.
-Book club. One of my best decision lately. The intermediate book club fits just right and keeping pace is totally doable (not easy though). This is really challenging for me as I am used to JLPT reading style that is so much different. For JLPT reading you just need a general understanding of the text as they ask you pretty straightfoward questions. But with a book, you want to understand everything. You want to understand the feeling, being able to vizualize the sceneries and so on. This is a very different type of reading. Though, I am late this week still cause of those personal reasons :frowning_face:

FAVE:
New faves of this month are :
-Hajimete no Otsukai
-Book club

LEAST FAVE:

Stiiiiiill Anki. Always.

TRY NEW RESOURCE:

Still in search for a Youtube channel.
I want to start listening to JLPT N2 exam as JLPT is coming quite soon.
Audible. When I get to read a book that is available on Audible, I will definitely go fot it.

Still speaking
And vocab/listening for N2.

Still reading texts out loud with my Asao teacher. Also, if I pass N2 this summer I will exclusively take speaking lessons online to improve that part.
Still SRSing vocabs as much as I can.

Okay, this advice won´t be anything new for people here but. Joining a book club is the best decision I made and anyone who wants a further understanding of the language or just practice reading shoul read books. And joining book clubs is even better because you can discuss books with others. So when there are parts that you don´t understand you can ask around and you get good answers. Moreover, having a schedule and everyone reading along with you adds some motivation. So this is something I highly recommend.

3 Likes