Mnemonics? I'm offended!

Oh.

It was my mistake to have made that last edit then.

1 Like

Actually I have a better idea:

Can we stop assuming that she’s actually offended? She has gone through life encountering many more offensive things than “women like children” and yet she hasn’t quit life yet.

Also, people will find excuses to just quit doing something they don’t like, in this case learning Japanese. She might say that she’s offended, but that’s just a way of saying “I’m not interested in Japanese any more and am just looking for any reason to quit.”

1 Like

Welp this is going well

10 Likes

Ah yes, absolutely.
You say yourself that “triggering the SJWs” shouldn’t be a competition, and I totally agree, life is too short to waste time on pissing each others off.
But unfortunately, some seem to do the opposite, competing to be triggered by everything, and OP’s story is certainly a rather absurd case of it.
I m not quite sure how humanity could ever dissociate the idea of women, who are biologically engineered to spend 9 month with a child growing in their belly and then giving birth to it, with children, but it seems some are trying to for reasons I can’t fathom.

3 Likes

Probably because the biological process of having children is separate from liking them. They coincide for most who choose to have them, but not all. Furthermore, it comes bundled with the notion that the woman will sacrifice years of her time, usually far more than the male partner even if time spent breastfeeding or preparing milk is taken out of the equation, which limits her ability to advance in the workforce and provide for herself and her offspring. This tends to form a reliance on her partner or family/friends.

Then there’s those of us born female who would sooner toss the kid in a wood chipper than spend a day parenting. Just can’t stand kids. And because of those old stereotypes, we get certain ideals constantly forced on us by family. All of the expectations, or at least what’s asked about, is about when a partner will be found and when grandchildren/great-grandchildren will be around. Sorry, but I will be the one defining my future and I’d rather people didn’t perpetuate harmful concepts that could interfere with my eventual world domination.

12 Likes

Then why are you doing it? lmao

I was biologically engineered to sire children, but I don’t have any yet :thinking:
life sure is mysterious :hugs:

1 Like

Oh, I totally agree, but “most women who choose to have children like them” like you said, is enough for the zeitgeist to exist.
I won’t get into the social debate about child raising and professional life much, because that’s not really the point here, but I’d like to point out that the bundled notion you describe isn’t necessarily negative, and as a matter of fact has only begun to be perceived as such in some corners of progressive societies. Still, for many women (and many husbands), raising a child and spending most of your time with them is a wonderful thing, far more than career advancement or similar activities that, let’s face it, we often don’t do out of choice.
I mean, it’s nothing surprising that many Japanese women leave their job the moment they start a family.
Anyway, this went a bit off-topic but I just wanted to bring up that point, that child-raising and the sacrifice of time associated with it isn’t an inherently bad thing and that it saddens me it is perceived as a burden more and more these days. Many fathers would kill to spend less time at work and more time with their kids, too.

But I’m not? I don’t go out of my way to troll on Huffington Post or something like that. I don’t have any negative interactions with people whose views I don’t share just for the fun of it.
Here I’m just having a polite discussion about a topic I didn’t even start. If for you, it qualifies as “triggering”, then see my point above.

I know you’re being sarcastic, but really, it’s not, and you’re missing the point.
The fact remains women are much more involved in the child-bearing process than men, hence why the image of women worldwide is inherently correlated with birth, child-raising, and parental love, etc. That’s the reason why a mnemo such as “women like children” comes to mind naturally and could only be considered offensive by a real stretch of the mind.

7 Likes

Jesus. How can one be offended with a mere mnemonic

7 Likes

I don’t have any problem with the mnemonic personally. Indeed, saying “women like children” is a generalization, and like all generalizations, should be taken with a grain of salt.

I agree with what you say about parenting and how it’s not a bad thing. Parenting is often a wonderful thing.
However, I’d also like to point out that deciding not to have kids is also not a bad thing. I don’t think anyone should feel pressured to have children, it should be a personal choice. The home environment will be better if neither parent feels like they had children just because they had to.

When you say that women liking children is common sense, it sounds like you’re trying to offend people, even if that isn’t your intention.

Life isn’t mysterious? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Whoops, that’s off topic, sorry. I’ll avoid being sarcastic this time. :laughing:

Yes, the worldwide historic image of women is that they stay home and raise the children. And that’s a very important role! However, things are changing in modern society - now we can choose which roles we want to fulfill, instead of having them required of us by the community. If a woman decides not to have children, she is no longer harming the survival rate of the tribe by failing to add to its population. If a man is a stay at home father, he is no longer harming the survival rate of the tribe by reducing the chances of a hunting party bringing back fresh meat.
Modern women can choose to be mothers, or choose not to, and both choices are equally valid. That’s why I can understand how “women like children” could be offensive - it sounds like it’s invalidating/judging the women who don’t like children.

Anyway, I hope that this mini essay was an interesting read. I’m going to go back to making stupid jokes now.

More like “mnere” mnemonic, amiright?
Wow, your avatar and username fit your comment perfectly xD

13 Likes

japanese people believe in the same myths. when they hear you’ve been living here for x years, or that your wife is japanese, then that settles it.

the thousands of hours of struggle, the energy put in, all that is wiped away by the magic of having a japanese spouse.

but how could i be offended by that, if westerners are just the same? it is what it is.

3 Likes

Aren’t those just weebs? :thinking:

Anyway I’m not getting into this :upside_down_face: I just wanted to make that horrible absolutely amazing joke.
AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaand I’m out
original%20(3)

6 Likes

I’m so sorry for you. I got similar shit from my mom.

1 Like

this story is about as believable as the down with cis meme

but it sure is fun to see who believes in the sjw boogeyman here

8 Likes

Also, not all parents like children. That’s also a harmful stereotype.

10 Likes

@Iwasneverhere anf @Vjeshitza I’m sorry that kinda stuff happened to you :confused: That sounds awful

I never thought the day would come but I’ve found a meme I haven’t heard of before ^^

2 Likes

Me, I like Children

of Bodom! @MikaelBaka

5 Likes
1 Like

Well I didn’t realize what thread I was in, @plantron. lol

Anyways, I don’t see why you’d get so offended by a memory aid, if anything that feeling would help you remember it better anyways. The point is memorization.

5 Likes

speaking of harmful stereotypes, never let anyone tell you boyfriends don’t love their girlfriends

4 Likes

This thread really does have it all, doesn’t it? Arbitrary bashing of millenials, throwing around the term “SJWs” and acting offended at the idea of people being offended by things
 only thing that would improve it if everyone started posting in nothing but smug anime girl memes.

10 Likes