Missing common readings

Hi,

I’ve been studying Budo for many years, and “left” and “right” are well fixed in my head: ひだりand みぎ.

In WK the reading for 左 is さ and for 右 it’s ゆう.

When I look these up in my Nihongo dictionary, these WK readings are rare and almost impossible to find.

Why doesn’t WK provide the common readings for these (hidari and migi) in addition to the short ones it does provide?

Thanks!
Russ

They will be introduced as vocabulary items

https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/左
https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/右

14 Likes

WK only introduces either some common onyomi or the most common kunyomi initially, then the rest you only learn through vocabulary. In general, memorizing all of the readings is considered unproductive by most people, so WK just wants to give you what you will see the most.

Edit: @Kumirei how did you like my post like half a second after I posted it? :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I still had the page open 251446983644938240

4 Likes

But you wouldn’t have had time to read it? What if I included some anti Kumirei proganda hidden in the

DESTROY KUMIREI! TAKE CONTROL OF THEIR ACCOUNT!

middle of one of my posts? It would look strange to like that then.

8 Likes

I’m an avid reader 295787090669469698

7 Likes

These aren’t words on their own. They are readings that appear in compounds, and they aren’t particularly rare.

14 Likes

Just to add a little something, you won’t get marked wrong if you enter the kunyomi reading (みぎ/ひだり) on one of the kanji reviews, you’ll just be prompted for the onyomi (ゆう/さ). Same for future kanji where WaniKani wants the kunyomi and you happen to provide the onyomi.

2 Likes

Kanjis are not words. They are kanjis and as kanjis they have readings that are used to make words. What you stumbled on is the difference between kanjis and words. Are you familiar with the concept of on’yomi and kun’yomi? If not I suggest you take a look at this explanation.

5 Likes

Welcome back @russellr! I also took a long break!

The readings you are talking about are the onyomi. Meaning you’ll use those readings in words that are a compound of two kanji.
左右 - さゆう - Left and Right
左派 - さは - Left Wing
vs
左 - ひだり - Left

ひだり and みぎ are the kunyomi for those kanji.

No さ and ゆう are not common readings for 左 and 右, and you may not ever really need to know those readings, but wanikani is trying to help best prepare you for seeing a kanji in any position you will see it. For example if you picked a different kanji, like 日, you will see both the onyomi and kunyomi a LOT so it is best to learn both. It’s just luck of the draw that みぎ is so much more common than ゆう.

Remember that usually the pink items are asking for the reading used in compound words, onyomi, the chinese reading.
And the purple if the kanji is alone is asking for the kunyomi, the japanese reading.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the answers. It makes more sense to me now.

13 Likes