Missed my chance to burn the moon!

Yep, all those lesson 1 words are slowly getting burned, if you hit the right keys on the keyboard that is :slight_smile:

16 Likes

I feel sorry for you, the pain you must feel after missing that burn… OUCH! And now you have to wait for 5 months again until you get your next chance?

3 Likes

Ask @CarmenCaesar for help setting it on fire

5 Likes

this is why i use doublecheck oml

4 Likes

I hope it goes quicker :slight_smile:
Then again, it also feels good to answer correctly, so maybe it’s not a complete disaster :slight_smile:

1 Like

Worse is when you get farther and you miss “humiliate” because it wouldn’t accept “humiliation”.

3 Likes

That’s what the redo button / plugin is for.

2 Likes

Oh I definitely have it for that reason. It’s a kanji! It doesn’t have a tense!

3 Likes

I understand, but I do not want to get tempted to abuse such a feature. It’s a bummer but I will do my best and achieve the burned moon one day! #JapaneseMindset

5 Likes

Very wise words, my friend (I originally wanted to write “mf” instead of “my friend” but then I remembered what mf actually means lmao)

2 Likes

I have a slightly different take of this. Even though you are “abusing” it. Every time you see it is still exposure. So that when you see it in the wild, your like, “oh yeah!”.

WaniKani is never going to get you to native reading level because it tests you outside of context. Native or fluent readers are able to read and comprehend quickly because as they are reading their brain is making guesses about what should or could come next based on the context they are reading it in.

I look at wanikani more as exposure and then expect that learning to be cemented by native content. So if there is one vocab I forget or one kanji I forget except in context I don’t worry too much. When I need it, I’ll learn it quickly because of WaniKani.

Just different approaches.

2 Likes

In the future, you can close the browser to essentially reset all the words / kanji you haven’t finished yet.
If I get something wrong because of a typo or some such thing, that’s what I usually do.

1 Like

I do the same (basically only for radicals), I simply just reset the browser, but then again sometimes I don’t, because you reset the ‘temporary correct words’, which makes me annoyed. anyways on the topic of burning items, when do you get your first thing burnt because im halfway though level 14 and my burned counter is still at 0

Assuming you get an item correct every time it appears then it takes about 6 months to burn an item

2 Likes

oh that makes more sense, i thought level 10 was like a universal level were you would start burning items (as said in one of the wanikani forums/emails), but i guess for my case is was just going fast

1 Like

Absolutely would have just exited out so it doesn’t save it lol. Had to do that many times from mistyping things that would have been burned.

Like, I have 20 burned items but thats because ive been doing mostly reviews since i started in May, I don’t wanna go to fast with lessons cos I’m waiting until the year-end sale to get the forever premium. I guess it just depends on how many lessons you’re doing and how much stuff you’re trying to remember at once.