Minor Menu Updates

(See comments immediately above…)

3 Likes

I like your effort!

However, I’m personally not a fan of hiding navigation behind a burger nav. It’s not a good pattern. In recent studies 40%+ people don’t use it, and many sites who did have one at some point have since reverted back.

See Spotify, Airbnb, Evernote, to name a few.

Also see https://medium.muz.li/3-good-reason-why-you-might-want-to-remove-that-hamburger-menu-from-your-product-69b9499ba7e2

2 Likes

Small thing, but for the search icon you have the cursor: pointer style on the inner span instead of the outer span, so you can hover over / click the edge of the icon without the pointer cursor appearing.

1 Like

I don’t see what the advantage of this change is supposed to be. Like, sure, I’ll get used to it, lots of other websites are doing it, it won’t be a horrible disaster or anything; but, at the same time, it seems to me that the change is literally just one of making useful functionality mildly more mentally draining to locate in the interface. The downside may be relatively minor, but I don’t see any upside. What intended upside am I missing here that’s supposed to justify the change?

1 Like

Hiding the search allows the kanji/radicals to move up a not-so-insignificant amount.

As for “Account”, it does look cleaner… plus I get to look at my gravatar.

3 Likes

I know this would take time but I would love to see a quiz feature to include translating one of the example sentences using the words we have learned. This would help us with reading practice instead of just focusing on the individual words. Just a thought :grin:

How would you verify that your translation is correct?

I was thinking having it simply be a multiple choice type question. That way you are getting context and it would still help with reading practice which could also help with memorization.

I just thought I’d let y’all know that Firefox detects gravitar as tracking content and thus blocks the avatar from loading. I am still able to interact with the menu, however the icon (the avatar) to click is invisible, so it’s rather difficult to fish around to the menu.

EDIT: for clarification I don’t have any plugins (like ghostery) installed, Firefox by default blocks gravatar

3 Likes

we hid the search bar by default and added a search icon that triggers/focuses it to the menu

Does this mean there will be a way to show it by default? I use search a lot so this change is fairly detrimental to me. I’m also not a fan of the fact that when clicked, the search icon causes the bar to show in a place that shifts almost the entire contents of the page. It feels like it would be better to expand the search bar inline with the menu items instead of moving the rest of the page.

2 Likes

can you please explain how i can gain access to this “user script” you mentioned ? i am using wanikani on a desktop computer *(mac) and if you have a link to a youtube tutorial or a clearly written text explanation on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated :wink:

1 Like

I guess this one is for you then:

The script I referred to is called “WaniKani Stroke Order”, it can be found on Greasyfork. (The above article explains everything about it.)

If you are interested in more userscripts (there are literally hundreds out there), you can search this forum for “Userscript”. Some people even compiled long lists of the best scripts.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thank you very much nicole :wink: i just hope i can wrap my non tech mind around the process needed to make this happen :wink:

2 Likes

i honestly dont know how i figured that out but it seems to be working ? *now im curious about what these other mods do ?

1 Like

seriously. i am super appreciative for your advice, i was just looking into the more complex kanjis on wanikani and it seems like they are all clearly illustrated now this script has been installed, i would hate to spend thousands of hours, learning thousand of written characters the wrong way. hopefully other people here will also gain from your generous advice :wink: cheers

2 Likes

Im fine with changing the “Account” button into simple icon, its common UI found everywhere. But whats the point in hiding the search bar? I thought the change would be once you hover or click on the search icon it would expand and you can type on it, this way it would save up some space and looks more modern. But what Im seeing is clicking the search icon will simply reveal the search bar that we currently have

Another thing, why can I upload an image for the forum but have to use gravatar for WK? I found this to be really annoying honestly

2 Likes

Now that you’ve found userscripts, there are sooo many more you’re bound to find interesting. Read section 7 of this guide My Journey of 368 days (+ The Ultimate Guide for WK 📖 )

1 Like

The search bar currently takes up around 40 pixels of screen height.
That may not sound like much on a mid-large desktop screen, but it is quite a lot on phones and tablets.

1 Like

Yeah I find it funny how the wk website and forum are like completely separate. You have a different user profile for each.

I think it’s because they are. Wanikani is a custom platform but by the wanikani team, but (as far as I know) the forum is a customised Discord Discourse instance built by someone else completely.

Although the wanikani team might want the accounts to be shared, this is likely to not be possible.

1 Like