Milking much?

Anyone who says they didn’t feel the same way at the beginning is a dirty li… uh, has selective memory. :smiley:

1 Like

Well, I certainly didn’t think it was a moneymilking scheme. I was just frustrated because I wanted to do more.

I think we all curled the monkey’s paw on that wish, though.

1 Like

I actually didn’t feel that way at the beginning. Maybe it’s because I actually read the guide so I knew that’s how things were supposed to work :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Your first day on Anki won’t be different, it’s just SRS … If you look from the end, 6000 words and 2000 kanji are not too shabby in one year, no matter how you did it :slight_smile:

1 Like

:musical_note: パンツが着火 !

I’m joking. I said that wrong - I think we all felt it was a bit slow, not that Koichi was milking us for money. :slight_smile:

You’d be the first

7 Likes

If you thought you were going to get instant access to everything after you got a subscription, you can send them an email at hello@wanikani.com and explain the misunderstanding, they might give you a refund and cancel your subscription.

But if you wilingly paid for something that was free to begin with maybe remember that before you accuse someone of trying to “milk money out of you”.

1 Like

分りまして。Actually, I was supposed to be in Japan Sept 4 - 18 but Jebi beat me to it and damaged the airport I was heading for. So, my plans got postponed to next month. :-). Anyway, ありがとう for bearing with my bellyachin’. :slight_smile:

raised eyebrows uh, whatever. :slight_smile:

When I first started Wanikani, I asked a similar question because I was frustrated that I couldn’t speed it up.

I took advantage of that frustration though, to make WK go as fast as it would let me, so I finished in a year :slight_smile:
That was 2 months ago and I’ve still got plenty of reviews rolling in… down from a daily average of 400 to 300 though.

With three weeks, you can learn all the kana quite easily, which will certainly help. Aside from that, focus on common expressions, as @jprspereira suggested, and learn to recognise place names you’ll be visiting. Maybe look for a phrasebook.

1 Like

In addition to what everybody else is saying about phrasebooks and whatnot, the urban/touristy areas of Japan (Tokyo in particular) are very English-friendly. There’s English-signage everywhere. My sister studied abroad in near Tokyo, and I’m pretty sure her Japanese got worse because there’s no real pressure to use the language.

Edit: I didn’t see this mentioned elsewhere in the thread: it takes ~3.5 days or so to guru an item with 100% accuracy starting with level 2. Level 1 intervals are shorter, but I don’t remember to what degree.

About 3.5 days?!?! You mean that lesson two won’t be unlocked until then? banging head on table

It takes more like 2 days and a bit at the first levels because the intervals are shortened, but yeah. The later level on WK is 6d21h at best and you unlock the second set of kanji in it after guruing the first set of radicals. Strongly advise you to take the advice given and focus on something more appropriate short term since you can’t bypass this or accelerate it further.

And I hope you enjoy Japan!

It means that you will reach level 2 at that time and have unlocked everything on level 1.

You should have some kanji soon.

Hopefully you’ll keep up after a few lessons. It’s daunting to see 200+ reviews after a short break.

Thanks everyone. 8 more hours. Baby steps! Baby steps!

3 Likes

At level two it’ll start picking up pace. I think I have reviews every 1-4 hours minimum with 56 kanji and 86 vocabulary learned so far with 1,450 reviews completed, per the image below. I also signed up recently so this is only ~9 days, meaning you should definitely be able to get a handful of kanji under your belt before your trip.

I haven’t read all the comments in this post so dunno if you’ve addressed this, but keep in mind that you can learn kanji on WK but you won’t necessarily learn how to communicate. If you have a trip that soon, be sure you’re also using other resources to learn basic conversational and navigational phrases in order to make your trip easier.

1 Like

I also read the guide haha, and while I’d love to wait less, it was pretty clear to me why this is a thing, and that in the long run it’d be beneficial.

Also… doesnt the subscription section specifically state don’t subscribe before getting past the first three levels, because its a waste? I feel like I remember seeing something like this.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw that, but I’m like a little kid trying to plug quarters hoping to get it going faster! :smiley: