Mildly confused about 混乱する

Wanikani normally doesn’t (or never does) distinguish whether a する verb is transitive or intransitive.
From other sources, I got the sense that a する verb normally takes on the form of a transitive verb because する itself is a 他動詞 (other move verb).

However, 混乱する (to be confused), is clearly intransitive, self move verb (自動詞), right?

Or are する verbs just a totally different species that can’t be categorized that way?

Am I getting this right, or am I totally 混乱する?

You can have both transitive and intransitive verbs with する. Some dictionaries indicate those as 他サ変 and 自サ変 respectively. 混乱する is intransitive.

1 Like

It depends on the usage of する. Some things like においがする or 音がする are intransitive. So it’s not so simple as just saying する is one or the other.

And yes, with a する verb you can’t always predict the transitivity.

挑戦する (to challenge) is intransitive.

敵を挑戦する ✕
敵に挑戦する ◯

So yeah… just have to check a dictionary or examples.

3 Likes

This covers pretty much the exact thing you are asking.

I wouldn’t imagine someone saying “self move” and “other move” is unfamiliar with Cure Dolly, but I guess it’s not impossible…

1 Like

I for one had never seen this before and find it rather disturbing.

4 Likes

That’s an appropriate response.

3 Likes

Well the words in Japanese 自動詞 and 他動詞 literally are self move and other move, so I wasn’t a hundred percent sure if they knew or not so I figured better safe than sorry.

1 Like

ya the presentation of the information is kind of hard to get past, but the information in the videos is so good I just have gotten use to it.

3 Likes

Yes, you’re right! I started using those terms after watching her vids. The direct descriptive words, “self” and “other” make so much more sense to me than the abstract transitive and intransitive.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.