MIA or WaniKani

Just to be safe here, it’s ぼっとう ;).

1 Like

thanks! :slight_smile: corrected.

I’m not sure what you’ve decided on yet for your study method, but if you decide to start out with a lot of immersion (active listening) please make sure you’re doing it “properly” in that you’re actually paying 100% attention the whole time you’re listening. When I first heard about active listening from MIA I was excited because I was like, “whoa, I can help improve my learning by just listening to anime without subs!” So what I did was I started doing 2-3 hours of active listening a day, sometimes up to 4 hours depending on how much time I had. The problem was, of those 2-4 hours of active listening, I’d say I only got about 20-40 minutes of pure “active listening” in. To be honest, I may have even got less than that. The rest was me passively listening. I found myself a lot of the time zoning out, thinking of other things, etc., meaning I wasn’t actually giving 100% of my attention to what I was watching.

So, if you decide to active listen early in I really suggest you make sure you find something that works for you. If you find yourself zoning out then I suggest taking a break or resituating yourself because it’s very important that in order for you to get the full benefits of active listening that you pay 100% attention, otherwise you’ll be wasting a lot of your time that could be used elsewhere in your studies (in my opinion). Of course, it’ll still benefit you, but not how it’s supposed to so I think you’d be better off putting your time somewhere else whenever you feel like you begin to zone out.

1 Like

My own two cents for anyone concerned - I have learned a few languages by immersion, Japanese reading is the first I’m studying manually.

I grasped a bunch of random vocabulary from watching anime/Japanese speech before learning any kanji. While the WK method is not “immersing” me in kanji in everyday life, I still get a similar “intuition” feel when going through reviews and speeding up - both for the Japanese reading and the vocabulary meaning (not translation, but meaning, and I struggle to put it to English sometimes).

Noted, thank you!

1 Like