Meaning of 実 as "fruit"

Thank you @JenK
I understand the technical problem. You can always add a special mention of the other reading/meaning, so people will be informed, just won’t be able to practice it on wanikani. It’s perfectly fine to make choices, it just seems like you have ghost references to those alternative readings/meanings but you don’t address them directly on any of the pages they roam. I hope you find a solution.

3 Likes

interesting that this came up the same day that 水曜日のカンパネラ released a video for
キャロライナ and one of the lines Utaha sings 「小さな赤い実付けました」Probably the first time i’ve heard this meaning for 実 before so a new meaning added for me.

1 Like

For me it’s the first meaning coming to mind. But it is strongly linked to a story I read, いちょうの実

1 Like

I actually remember forehead being part of the mnemonic for this one and just recently noticed it isn’t anymore. I think they didn’t mention it has a different reading though.

BUT I remember at least one or two words do mention different readings for different meanings, e.g.:

“Hint: The readings and meanings for this kanji match up really nicely. ぞう is always for elephant and しょう is always for phenomenon. Remember it like this, the elephant is the zombie and the shougun keeps everyone from finding out about this phenomenon.”

4 Likes

Wait What?! How does the actual review process works for this? This is so meta :nerd_face: what a phenomenon. You could probably just go with :elephant: but the meaning and reading aren’t being checked to see if they match , so the system can’t tell if you for instance wrote しょう as a reading and then elephant for the meaning.

2 Likes

I am not sure on how you would add ひたい for 頭 but, What about adding the vocab 木の実 for the み reading? Whenever I see 実 written as 実 it’s usually in the ~の実 style which could be added as Fruit of~ Or if in the style of 木の実 it’s always like a berry, or a fruit from a tree. It could get wordy as a vocab but it would then introduce the “fruit” meaning.

4 Likes