Meaning of ダチ

While I was familiar with ダチ being short for 友達, and so is jisho

or any other definition I could find, it seems that google trad is not…

Is this a really unfortunate error in google’s algorithm (and if so, does anyone has any guess on how/why ?) or is there another, more slang/underground, meaning I’m unaware of ?

I would rather avoid a nuance faux-pas when using it…

3 Likes

Yes. Because (a) it’s Google translate, so that’s half the issue right there, and (b) users can suggest “corrections”.

7 Likes

I had no idea this was an option. Why wouldn’t they have humans manually checking every single entry that comes this way?

I suppose that an argument could be made for the use of that word among certain groups to be synonymous with “dude”, but that absolutely shouldn’t be what comes up as the first translation (or really come up at all, with how specific you’d be getting).

2 Likes

Because it’s google and they hate anything that they can’t solve through an algorithm … if only they could solve how bad all their algorithms are with an algorithm

4 Likes

Didn’t know you could suggest translations either, that can explain a lot.

And yea, may be the problem stem from english to japanese using the wrong dataset… Over fitting of some sort

1 Like

Yep, on the translation side in the bottom right corner it’s the pencil-looking icon in the center of the icons.

2 Likes

That’s exactly the argument that’s being made, but yeah, it should not be the default option.

if algorithm_is_bad();
then make_it_better;
endif

6 Likes

Damn, you’re good! Have you ever thought of working for google?

6 Likes

The problem with your code tho:
def algorithm_is_bad():
  return False

Actually, that’s probably a feature, not a bug.

2 Likes

Whether the translation is correct and whether the translation could lead to faux-pas are two completely different issues.

def algorithm_is_bad = remember to let her into your heart

3 Likes

I’m going to listen to Hey Jude next time I have to debug things (aka tomorrow).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.