Meaning explanation and reading mnemonic for 張る

In the meaning explanation for ()る it says:

"not to be confused with the type of stretching you do after a workout"

while the reading mnemonic reads:

"Imagine yourself trying to stretch (or better yet stand up and do it). Every time you stretch you start to laugh uncontrollably. HA (は) HA HA HA HA HA. Go ahead and laugh like that out loud while you stretch, it will help you to remember this reading."

Is it just me or does the mnemonic seem designed to make you think ()る means the type of stretching you do after a workout? Might be worth changing it to avoid confusion.

11 Likes

I feel like stretching after a workout is like this:

Whereas the stretching the mnemonic is describing is like this:

stretch-and-yawn

Which aren’t quite the same thing.

Though whether either of them applies to 張る is possibly a different matter.

1 Like

I would think the mnemonic is talking about the kind of streach that you do when you wake uo in the morning or standing after sitting for a long time.

Streaching after exercising releases lactic acid that builds up in the muscles during exercise. It causes the muscles to relax and helps prevent soreness and injury. It is a total different kind of stretching.

To clarify, the contrast being made in the meaning explanation is this:

“the verb version means to stretch over something, to spread out, or to be taut, not to be confused with the type of stretching you do after a workout.”

So “the type of stretching you do after a workout” seems to refer to “stretching your muscles/body” in general. i.e. the word doesn’t refer to stretching your body unless you’re stretching/spreading it out over something or pulling it taut.

I believe that to make the distinction between stretching in the morning and stretching after a workout Japanese uses the words 伸ばす and ストレッチする respectively.

1 Like

I would make a mnemonic on what it is, rather than detailed imagery to what it isn’t. For example,

Imagine yourself trying to stretch a model figurine. Every time you stretch you start to laugh uncontrollably. HA (は) HA HA HA HA HA. Nonetheless, instead of it getting stretched, it gets torn apart to thousand shreds.

4 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up, I’ll let the content team know about it.

Update: We’ve changed the mnemonic now to avoid the ambiguity.

6 Likes

Imagine yourself trying to stretch your favorite toy figurine, seeing just how far you can stretch it. With every stretch, you start laughing uncontrollably, HA (は) HA HA HA HA HA. Seems a bit cruel. Are you okay?

Always fun to have more mnemonics where we are apparently deranged maniacs.

2 Likes
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.