"Maths in Japanese" (Math and CS book club)

I should’ve participated in this since I’m a math professor and I’ve worked with Japanese students before. Sadly, I’ve been going through teacher burnout. But I’d certainly be interested in participating if this gets revived!

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Please take some time for yourself first :slight_smile: If you like, have a look into our “home thread” to connect to some mind liked durtles. Just recently some interesting videos / youtube channels have been shared over there.

As for this thread: it will stay open for self-paced readings and asking questions any time within “10 years after the last reply” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s easy to feel guilty when you miss out on something that would be for you, but please don’t give too much thought to it. I’ve experienced it a bit myself as a student and it really overwhelms you. Wishing you the best on your recovery.

As a math major I’m interested what type of field you’ve been teaching/researching.

3 Likes

Thanks, both of you!

I’m a community college prof, so I tend to focus more on teaching than research (lately, stuff like Universal Design for Learning and the neuroscience behind learning). In fact, for my Master’s project, I chose nonstandard analysis because I thought it would make beginning calculus easier to teach. Then I realized I’d have to explain to these students what ultrafilters and hyperreal numbers are and I was like, “OK, maybe I should just stick to what Newton said!” :sweat_smile:

Please feel free to hit me up if I can ever be of any help, by the way. Due to some personal stuff that arose along the way, getting that degree was quite a challenge for me. It’d be my pleasure to make any student’s path easier than mine was!

7 Likes

I actually went back and finished my bachelor degree this year. Thinking of doing a masters after gaining some work experience.

I’ve done some non-standard analysis in a logic course. It’s cool, but it does have quite a bit of work to build towards it. After all that work you do get a super powerful apparatus, but yeah it’s called non-standard for a reason :sweat_smile:.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Presumably it’s the Java part that made them cry. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sounds unfair. I’d go with “Template error messages when using C++ data structures”.

4 Likes