Master List of Study Logs

just adding to the masterlist

i started wanikani at the new year and it’s been fun keeping up with a study log! i hope you check it out („• ᴗ •„)

:cherry_blossom: taiyousea’s study log :dango:

8 Likes

I needed accountability so I made a log and added it :melting_face:

Here’s to weekly updates and hoping I am consistent

3 Likes

Added mine. I wonder if it’s worth separating active, completed (hit level 60) and inactive (incomplete, last post before 2023) study logs?

2 Likes

That would be a lot of admin for a very casual list.

Also, not entirely sure what you mean that hitting level 60 would be “completed”. While there are people who hit level 60 and then stop coming around, there are others (for example: me) who are still here, still learning and my study log is very much not completed. (And level 60 does very much not mean being fluent and ready to never study anymore… :sob:)

4 Likes

Added mine on here too~

3 Likes

I do agree it’d be a lot of admin to sort out the list but it is quite lengthy and hard to parse through. Sorting inactive vs active would be good and active level 60 would be good in a separate list because it can help people gauge where they personally are in their language journey. I agree that level 60 doesn’t mean fluency but knowing who’s completed WK and seeing where they are beyond WK can help others that are starting and see what to focus on. BUT that’s all food for thought. :person_shrugging:

This list was started in 2019, a simple list of links to study logs with no sorting, not even alphabetical (maybe it was alphabetically sorted once, but not now and not when I added my log a year ago).

No matter how good the intentions, any sorting except for alphabetical (although even that would be a question between title of the thread and username, and that could change because both of those can be changed) will result in some judging. And when there is judging, there is value added or subtracted. Intentional or not.

And for realz guys, 60 is just a number. 60 says nothing about Japanese ability. There are people who’ve gotten to 60 and are still N5. And others who are N1 at 30 or some other random level that isn’t 60.

If you guys think it would be valuable to have a list of study logs that is sorted for active/inactive and possibly other criteria, I think in this case it might be better to start a new one. There are a lot of study logs here, and none of them added their link with the expectation that someone in the future would sit judge over their log to decide if they were “advanced” in Japanese enough to be put in the post-60 slot, or whether they posted to their log often enough. Heck, probably 90% of the links on that list are to study logs that are inactive.

If it is all for finding active study logs, there are other ways to find them. Just scroll through a list of recent camp fire topics and Japanese language. Find the first 20 (or some other number) logs on both lists, and there you go. Read through some of them, and you’ll find yourself some fun logs to follow that were updated recently. Do this every so often and you’ll have caught every currently active log and been able to decide if it will be of interest to you.

Perhaps that feels like a bit much effort, then start a thread and see if people are interested in being added to a study log list that will add an inactive label to any study log that doesn’t have an update once a year or whatever interval seems good. And if you want more criteria, let people sign themselves up knowing those.

Study logs are something we create for ourselves. They can be quite personal, so suddenly having someone else make judgements about them (when you didn’t sign up for having it publicly labeled)… well, it feels very off to me.

5 Likes

The is no way to say that a log is inactive, other than clicking into them and being over time criteria.

Perhaps no one who dare call a log inactive and move the link down/out, other than the log writer themself. (Which themself may also be inactive.)

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I never added myself here. Guess I’ll do that. My log is self indulgent and half health complaints, but it’s fun to see the transition from doing Genki and starting WK in the first post to having just posted a list of all the native media I’ve read so far. :muscle:

5 Likes

I very much agree. It feels pretty taboo to take the reigns on something like that. I am but a lowly observer :rofl:

It looks like have a pretty healthy number of new study logs being created lately. I know we’ve put to bed the idea of listing by active/inactive since that isn’t always very applicable. Though, it can’t be ignored that many study logs on the list are locked from a year of inactivity - I was thinking of reorganizing the list into a chart that intersected alphabetical ordering with year of last update. This would make the list be generally opposite of its current order, with 2024-updated logs at the top to hopefully give newcomers a little extra exposure instead of being mixed in together at the bottom.

All that would be required is, when a user updates their log at any point during the year, they move their log up to the most recent column. This would be similar to moving yourself up in a level challenge, but would only need to happen once per year.

It would look something like this:

Title Owner Last Update
Cool Study Log UserA 2024
My Japanese Journey UserB 2024
UserM’s Log of Learning UserM 2023
Partytime Study Log UserJ 2018

This is alphabetical by year of last update and then username.

Alternatively, this could be split into two charts, “Current” and “Archive”.

Current Study Logs

Title Owner Last Update
Cool Study Log UserA 2024
My Japanese Journey UserB 2024

Archive

Title Owner Last Update
UserM’s Log of Learning UserM 2023
Partytime Study Log UserJ 2018

Or, as a final option if both of the previous suggestions seem unattractive, I propose at the very least to alphabetize by username.

My belief is that it would be helpful to have “year of last update” present so new users can easily find other new users, form camaraderie and help encourage each other. I’m sure it would also be beneficial for finding recent resources, rather than broken links or outdated websites from 4+ years ago.

Feel free to give your thoughts. I’m happy to make a poll or simply go from what everyone replies. [1]

1. and if no one replies at all, my city now :smiling_imp: ↩︎

8 Likes

I’m cool with adding a year updated thing, or at the very least organizing alphabetically by username.

1 Like

I avoided suggesting alphabetical, because well, my name starts with an a so there’s an obvious conflict of interest there, but some organisation would be helpful.

Alternatively, a dedicated subforum for study logs might be something for @Mods to consider. Currently they’re kind of spread between subforums, so maybe it needs a Public and Semi-Private category because some users may have put theirs in Campfire because it’s the other category, and some may have put them there because they wanted it hidden from logged out users.

2 Likes

I like the idea of adding a year updated and organizing alphabetically by username! I also like the idea of the separate current and archive lists, because when I first browsed this list, I got disappointed by how many study logs were no longer being updated, and having a list with only current ones would be easier to browse.

Also seconding this!

5 Likes

That would be really nice, because they don’t quite fit under campfire. But I’d prefer them to not be accessible for users who aren’t logged in.

4 Likes

Yeah, I can definitely see the privacy factor being conflicting for this, unfortunately. I like that my log is hidden from search engines, but others further up have stated that they prefer theirs to be in the Japanese Language category which is public.

It’s so easy to get a study log link gobbled up in the list currently, so I’m happy to organize in any way, but to be organized at all is the goal!

3 Likes

Me, too :smiling_face_with_tear: but I’ve seen activity vs. inactivity become a sensitive subject further up, so I was hoping to at least attach year of last update with the availability to update it if an inactive log becomes active again.

4 Likes

For me, I’m more neutral on the private/public aspect, but the bigger deal was being able to add it as a featured thread on my bio, haha. I suppose that no longer matters to me now that I have my level 60 thread linked there, but I imagine there are others who feel similarly. I wish there was a way to feature threads that are private.

4 Likes

I didn’t know this thread but now that I do, I definitely think it’s a good idea to tidy it :sweat_smile:

I like both your ideas @taiyousea, and I don’t mind about showing the private or public aspect of the logs.
(and thank you for proposing to do this ^^)

1 Like

Yeah I saw that the Natively forums had that and I was like :thinking::thinking::thinking: Feels like we need it too

1 Like