MaruMori.io & Kitsun.io - [UPDATE: ALL ABOARD THE N3 TRAIN] - Grammar SRS, Grammar Lessons, Reading Exercises, Vocabulary, Kanji and more!

Does it support multiple meanings and readings (aliases) like WaniKani? E.g. for “日” I can enter “sun” or “day” and both will mark the card green.

4 Likes

That’s actually a very good question. I’m guessing you mean the scenario when you use the input field in the cards? Currently it does not, but actually, it probably should. So I’ve added it to my list of to-do items.

I think I will make it based on splitting the input value with a comma:

So if you add the following value to the card: “Sun, Day” it will mark it correct if you input either Sun or Day. However, the “Sun, Day” part cannot come from multiple fields, you will have to use one field for the input value.

(I know this probably sounds really confusing and abstract, but I will explain it with pictures when I’ve implemented the feature :slight_smile: )

8 Likes

I’ll be going to bed now as it’s actually quite late here, but I will reply to new comments once I wake up :slight_smile:

To everyone that signed up and commented so far, thank you very much! I’m blown away by your reactions :smiley:

5 Likes

I don’t want to stay there indefinitely doing the same items over and over. However, having in the settings the option to review them 1, 2 or 3 times (for example) could be interesting. Much like how WK allows you to choose the number of items per batch of lessons (3 to 10). I’m asking this because the reinforcement you get from getting the item correct more than 1 time makes it look like it becomes something automatic for your brain to do. Users from the Leech training Script will probably understand what I mean.

If you added the option to select the most recent learned items, definitely :slight_smile: Appreciate all the attention you’ve been giving!

I support this. It’s definitely something important in my opinion :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This looks very promising =)
I love that you are open about it becoming a paid platform, and that lifetime is an option! I prefer paying a one time sum so I don’t have to feel bad about not having used it enough *Looking at you Adobe Photoshop!
I’m already a lifetime here and Bunpro =)
If it all works out and goes from beta to paid platform, and works as well as suggested, I will be in line for a lifetime :wink:

I signed up for the beta, looking forward to see where this goes =)

6 Likes

I get special activation since I was the first to reply to this thread? :stuck_out_tongue:

If it helps, I’m very good at testing and currently a professional dev.

3 Likes

Oh yes… I’m never going to upgrade my Photoshop CS6. If Windows becomes incompatible, I’ll run it in a virtual machine!

2 Likes

Chromebook user, don’t know anything about computers (never installed a script to WK or even an add-on to my Chromebook) so an online Anki (never used Anki either) sounds perfect!

3 Likes

This is great! I feel like everyone utilizes Anki, but I just couldn’t figure it out. I’m excited to try this!!

4 Likes

It seems very nice, I will definitely give it a try :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds great! I’ve registered. Looking forward to having a look and hopefully beta testing it.

2 Likes

Anki, but Web-based? You sir (or ma’am), are a hero. :grin: Registering right after posting this comment!

6 Likes

I dont really get it :thinking:
I mean, I’m all for an improved version of Anki, but once you’ve figured out how to use it, it’s pretty darn good.
How could this be so much better that it’s worth paying 150$ for? (Been using Anki for years, will be using it for years to come, anything but lifetime really isnt an option, especially considering how SRS works to begin with)
Decks created for this platform would obviously be worth paying for, but shouldnt you be paying extra for the Decks, not upfront on the SRS? (Much like the Jalup NEXT Decks)
A price of 150$ just seems way too steep just for the fancy overlay, especially if you’ve already “mastered” Anki.

3 Likes

I get your point, however, not everyone wants to put in the time and effort to “master” anki. I’ve tried to swiftly answer this question in one of the first comments:

As for the price, I think the prices are fair and with the discount the subscription would cost you a coffee per month. The lifetime option is there for people who don’t like subscription models.

I would like to make clear that this is not “just a fancy overlay” and makes no use of the actual anki servers or applications. Data storage, servers, domains etc cost quite some money. Next to this I’d like to be able to profit a bit from all the effort and time I’ve put in this and will continue to put into this.

Don’t get me wrong, I think anki is wonderful (which is why I based kitsun on anki and WK) and if you already mastered it and the above mentioned points are not worth the price from your point of view, then you are free to keep on using anki of course :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I see huge value in this product if it delivers on all that is stated. I can’t wait to get into the Beta to explore this and so far I am encouraged by OP’s responsiveness. I wouldn’t mind paying the 75 bucks once I get into the Beta.

I must admit that paid decks would be a good idea for OP and probably for deck quality. If they are made by OP he’d get the full price of the paid decks, of thyre made by someone else, the platform would get a hosting fee. And this does not mean the flat lifetime fee cannot be charged to users. Running sites like this is not cheap.

4 Likes

I’m super excited for this! I’ve always had trouble getting myself to actually use Anki. From what I’ve seen so far, I think this is just what I need to actually do my vocab.

Can’t wait for my account to be activated! :tomato:
Also lowkey unbelievably happy that my username is just “Tomato” and didn’t need any changing.
and omg your avatar. Queen! Yes!!

5 Likes

@neicul, any plans for native apps at any point?

Also, you were wondering about a way to implement offline learning. Here’s an idea: a two week timer starts in a native mobile app whenever a subscription user is offline. For two weeks, they will be able to continue as always. After two weeks, it pauses the SRS until they get back online for a minute to sync changes and make sure subscription is still active. Replace duration with anything else you deem fit.

2 Likes

Let’s not forget that a significant number of us hate Anki with a passion.

3 Likes

I’m very excited for this. Currently I’m using Tiny Cards, which is “fine-ish”, just because it’s web-based and takes typing input, but Kitsun.io seems amazing right out the gate. I’m already saving for life-time.
EDIT: same username. pick me! :rofl:
aw geez, it’s Overwatch beta all over again.

3 Likes

I first want to focus on getting the website up and running perfectly for both desktop and mobile. So right now native apps is low priority for me.

I’m trying to make the website as mobile friendly as possible. If I were to make apps for Apple or Android, they would probably be hybrid apps (React native / Telerik platform / Ionic etc) or I would have to hire someone to handle it for me as I personally really dislike Java programming and dealing with the app stores :wink:

Every user so far has a public API token associated to their account for developers to play around with, but there is no actual public API yet :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your suggestion on the offline issue! That was also my initial idea, but it does have some issues, i.e:

• What happens to users going offline for longer than two weeks (perhaps while on vacation)? Will the app be locked and progress saved until validation? Seems like a “not so optimal” solution but it might be the only solution…

I’ll have to think it through more in a later stage.

4 Likes