March 25 2022 Content Updates

Kanji

(26) - added “intense”, “severe”, and “extreme” to allow list.

(31) - added “exceptional” as primary meaning, moved “luxurious” to alternative meanings, added “tremendous” and “overpowering” to allow list, and updated meaning and readings explanations.

(3) - updated meaning hint.

(2) - updated meaning hint.

(43) - added “koto” as an alternative meaning, and updated reading mnemonic and hint.

Vocabulary

贅沢 (23) - added “extravagance”, “luxurious”, and “lavish” to allow list.

両替 (27) - added “exchange” and “change money” to allow list.

抜ける (27) - added “to be missing” as alternative meaning, moved “to get extracted”, “to get plucked”, “to come out”, “to be plucked” and “to be omitted” to allow list, and added two context sentences.

起きる (10) - added “to occur” as alternative meaning, added “to happen”, “to arise”, “to take place” and “to stand up” to allow list, and updated meaning explanation.

起こる (12) - added “to arise” to allow list, and updated meaning explanation.

極める (27) - moved “to carry to the extreme”, “to take to the extreme”, “to take to an extreme”, “to carry to an extreme”, and “to take to extremes” to allow list, added “to master something”, “to carry something to extremes”, and “extremely” to allow list, updated meaning explanation, and added one context sentence.

勢い (22) - added “forceful” to blocklist.

土俵際 (48) - added “last moment” and “critical moment” to alternative meanings, moved “sumo ring edge”, “edge”, and “sumo ring” to the allow list, updated meaning explanation, and added a context sentence.

住宅 (23) - added “housing” as alternative meaning, added “house” and “home” to allow list, and added “resident” to block list.

点く(8) - added “to turn on” to block list.

瞳孔 (46) - added “pupillary” as alternative meaning.

豪華 (31) - added “luxury” as alternative meaning, added “gorgeous”, “deluxe” and “posh” to allow list, updated meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

豪傑 (58) - added “exceptional person” to allow list and updated meaning explanation.

断る (21) - updated reading explanation.

言葉 (12) - updated reading explanation.

(41) - updated reading explanation and added a context sentence.

誠に (43) - added “sincerely” as alternative meaning, moved “absolutely” to allow list, added “very”, “truly”, “very much” and “greatly” to allow list, updated meaning and reading explanations, added three context sentences, and updated context sentence translation.

脅し (48) - updated reading explanation.

淑やか (58) - updated reading explanation, replaced one context sentence, and added on context sentence.

上がる (5) - added “to stop” as alternative meaning.

丹誠 (53) - updated context sentence translation.

間もなく (8) - moved “momentarily” and “in a short time” to allow list, and updated meaning explanation.

近日 (5) - updated meaning explanation.

近々 (7) - updated meaning explanation.

30 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

4 Likes

Thank you, Jenny! :grin:

3 Likes

Yes, thank you Jenny!

(and thank you Kumirei for being a good influence on me…)

This one is going to get me :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

Thankyou jenny

1 Like

@TofuguJenny Any chance you could add the auxiliary readings (shake/warn info) to the subjects API endpoint?

2 Likes

Hi, I’m wondering why 流す (as a transitive verb) accepts “to flow”, as an answer? I tried redoing my answer to make it wrong, but “not flow” was also accepted as correct (though slightly off).

Edit to add: to flower is also accepted.

To flow is on the hidden allow list for 流す and “not flow” and “to flower” are too close that WK thought it was a typo (neither of those are on the block list & not that many characters apart from the real answer)

This item has lots of entries on the allow list including: “to wash away,” “to set afloat,” “to drain something”

To prove it, try searching “to flow” on WK. 流す will come up as a result!

But “to flow” seems strictly intransitive, and doesn’t match up with any definition I’ve been able to find for 流す … or am I missing something?

WK decided that to flow isn’t exactly the meaning of the word (that’s why it’s the allow list & not a visible meaning), but it’s not so far off to say that it should be considered wrong…

Hi @kumirei! The honest answer is I have no idea, but I can pass on your request to our engineering team!

I’m wondering why 流す (as a transitive verb) accepts “to flow”, as an answer? I tried redoing my answer to make it wrong, but “not flow” was also accepted as correct (though slightly off).

Edit to add: to flower is also accepted.

Hi @MaraVos! “To flow” is on the allow list, because it can sometimes be transitive in English. These are the transitive use examples given in the Merriam Webster entry for “flow”:

So it can sometimes be a translation for 流す, but the definition isn’t visible because it’s rare, and we think it’s pretty confusing.

I’ve added “to flower” and “not flow” to the block list, so they will be marked as incorrect in future!

1 Like

Ohh, I see. Thank you for the explanation! I’ve never used “flow” transitively, so if I make the same mistake again I’ll use “not flow” to correctly mark it wrong :joy: Thanks again!

2 Likes

Careful with that though; it looks like an anti-pattern. I would assume that most other verbs will accept “not X” as opposed to “to X” since it’s not in their blocklist…

1 Like