Making Progress on the Dashboard, Take 2

The bubbles are made by @rfindley, and I’ve been seeing them working real hard on updating everything. Lots of tamper monkey pop ups about it. Great job!

I’ll also be working on getting my scripts back to work, though I’m not worrying too much about it as the only dependency I have on the dashboard is position, which is easily fixed. As long as WK framework works, I’m fine.

I love the new look a whole bunch more though. :blush: There is a much higher information density

4 Likes

Nice! Everything I wanted to point has already been discussed, notably @davemakes’s idea of showing locked kanji just a little differently so that they be a bit more visible and hoping for an easy way to tell at first glance when a kanji has been passed.
Apart from that, I’m really glad that you took the time to listen to everyone’s feedback and managed to come up with a solution that most people prefer.
Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

Love it. I was pretty indifferent to the first iteration, but I’m really loving this one. One thing to suggest is maybe add an option to hide the individual radicals/kanji bubbles, but honestly it’s not a huge deal if you don’t.

3 Likes

You don’t understand why I tagged you from my original post.

1 Like

Fantastic! Clean, modern look, helpful information, and motivating when you think you make no progress.

2 Likes

Love it! Leaps and bounds better than the first go.

I will point out there seems to be a period missing after the review estimations. So, right now, hovering over an item with reviews inbound says something like:

“This kanji is in the review stage. That means you have to review it until all those green bars are filled. This item’s next review is in about 23 hours”

But since the tooltip is written as a full sentence, the final line – the review estimation – should be followed by a period to read:

“This kanji is in the review stage. That means you have to review it until all those green bars are filled. This item’s next review is in about 23 hours.” (The final line on the Crabigator variant is also missing a period and ought to be similarly adjusted.)

4 Likes

Wow, it looks amazing! I only use WaniKani on mobile, so I’m pretty sad about never being able to see the hover-over messages talked about in this thread… But I love the progress bars and the compact look!

1 Like

Much better! This makes much more sense and is much more compact, so win-win. I like it. I also like the little level bar things. It is intuitive to understand.

I have two adjustment critiques:
I wish it make it more obvious somehow that “to pass” a kanji means “to Guru” the kanji. If I were a new user, I would see these big boxes on the dashboard saying “Apprentice,” “Guru,” “Master…” and so on. I don’t think I’d realize that “to pass” means I’m only leveling it up to the Guru stage.

I’d be happy with a way to reorder it by SRS level. I think this would be a very useful feature for someone trying to go quickly (like me) who might want to easily find the kanji that still need some work.

The previous version I said I wouldn’t be interested in using. This however, is much more usable, and if I were a new user I feel I’d appreciate it.

2 Likes

I know the userbase for level 60 is very small, but maybe adapt the message. I’m definitely not 1 kanji closer to level up xD

Maybe “You’re also one kanji closer to complete the level” instead :thinking:

21 Likes

Jp, You probably just don’t know that there is level 61.

This post is not for new user to read.

9 Likes

The preview CDN gives an access denied for the gradiator radical image, but it works for the regular one.

shhh, don’t tell people about the new levels… I have to be the first to reach level 70 :shushing_face:

10 Likes

Very good! :laughing:

Guddo! Guddo!

4 Likes

Great job. Like the compact design.

I’m just going to concur with what many others said before in this thread (@Stormblessed, @AAfunian, @davemakes, @CDia22) and humbly wish for the unlocked items to be regrouped. :wink:

2 Likes

Love it! Much better!

2 Likes

This is great, I like the design. But I wonder how seeing the items constantly everyday will affect the efficacy of the SRS system?

3 Likes

From my experience, I think it’s fine. This will only be for the Apprentice items, and I feel like more exposure to them in the first days only helps for long-term retention. Plus, hovering the mouse on top of them doesn’t spoil you with the meanings/readings, which is very nice.

4 Likes

The best idea would be to make it collapsable like it is now.

9 Likes

Love it. Like so many people are saying-- thanks for listening to everyone’s feedback and doing such a significant redesign!

I’ll throw my vote with those are are asking for sorting of the kanji (or radicals) by SRS level.

I would also prefer actual times for reviews (“this one will come up for review at 2:00pm tomorrow”).
Overall, I will probably still use @rfindley’s dashboard instead because I like being able to hover and see the reading/meaning for each radical/kanji-- I use it immediately after doing a big batch of lessons to make sure that I know everything for reals before I kick off the real SRS. (Plus it has the real times for reviews.) But I think this is a big improvement for new users.

FWIW I don’t think that seeing the kanji on your dashboard affects the SRS too much. (Since you said you were trying to avoid making it obvious with the sort order). Seeing the meaning/reading would, of course.

I also agree with those who say new users might not understand guru=pass, but I don’t have an obvious solution. :slight_smile: Maybe it doesn’t matter if they get it, now that there are the little green bars.

1 Like

imagen
Kinda unrelated but wouldn’t it be better if only one tab could be open at once here? You can also have “account” and “levels” open. I just think it would feel more natural if a tab automatically closed when you open another.

4 Likes