Making Progress on the Dashboard, Take 2

Probably a glitch — on our end. We’ve got a couple little tweaks to make, and one of them is some extra support for IE.

Edit: so, uh, yeah, they aren’t supposed to fill the whole screen. I think that might be the opposite of compact? I guess it could be abstract kanji art?

21 Likes

Everything seems to work great on my end (chrome - W10)
and I really like it! the old one was a bit clogged, but I didn’t mind it honestly, but this really works imo

1 Like

Love the redesign! Only minor thing I would ask is if you could sort the kanji in the list by progress or group the locked ones together instead of sprinkled bewteen like mine:

But that really is a minor complaint, this redesign was very well thought through!

33 Likes

They’re sorted by lesson position right now. We talked a bunch internally about sorting them by different properties: how far along they are, or when you did something on them, or the Crabigator’s general opinion of the kanji. Ultimately, we went with lesson position because we thought it will be easier to see when something changes. Things will always be in the same spot every time you come back, but with a new status.

But! It’s something needs testing. We’ll keep an ear open.

17 Likes

Oooooo I like this new one a LOT better than the first one! And like others have said, the hover messages are adorable and add a bit of fun. Way to go WaniKani team, you came through with a great site again!

2 Likes

I hear a book idea in the making.
Every kanji accompanied by the crabigator’s opinion on it

11 Likes

could you describe the logic a bit more?
if this is a ‘lesson order’, then why it has some kanji in the beginning of the list, when these kanji depend on radicals from the same level?
it is just a bit contradictionary, so curiosity itches.

but “Crabigator’s opinion” matters more…

3 Likes

It also makes it a little harder to see the things you’re having trouble with, as well as things that are about to guru - Don’t want to bundle up all the important items for (too) easy review right before a review session… was part of the logic there, too.

18 Likes

thanks for sharing!
so, it is like “life is too boring if everything is too easy.” - and this might be valid argument, in some sense…

anyway, the new version is leaps better than the previous one, thanks a lot for optimizing it! :+1:

Do I report here?
Broken image Radical: 9 Gladiator

3 Likes

I want to know if crabigators taste nice with butter.

16 Likes

Is there any possibility of a toggle to hide the kanji and only show the progress bar? Maybe I’m paranoid but I can’t help but wonder if seeing it a day early would sort of bypass the SRS intervals.

(Of course, I spend time reading every day and there have been times where I see a current-level kanji in the wild, with no apparent ill effect. So maybe it’s fine)

6 Likes

This is amazing, and exactly what I wanted and needed. The hover-text flavour-text is also something I needed, and didn’t know it until I had it! The personality in practically everything about this site is one of the things that drew me to it, and now I get to have that on my dashboard.

I’m literally almost in tears with delight and appreciation. Thank you all so much for listening to your community so well.

3 Likes

On the preview site, broken images for radicals is okay… well, not okay, but, we know it’s a thing.

12 Likes

An ear to the ground,
the core developers work.
A release is cut.

Nice work on this update!

2 Likes

I approve.

Just in case you cared what my opinion was… anyway… 失礼します。

1 Like

download

Very nice :smiley:

Oh, this is a huge improvement, I really like it! A small tweak I might suggest is hiding the progress bar altogether on unlearned items. The pink with white stripes is a bit hard to sort from the regular magenta at a glance, but I think this would clarify and clean things up a bit.

I haven’t yet seen what happens with item progress bars when they fill up, but I hope they get some kind of distinct visual treatment so I can tell at a glance how many have been passed.

10 Likes

I really like this update!

As a somewhat early user, random feedback to help make them feel progress. I think the post-review/lesson screen (literally the one that shows success/errors) could be improved easily. A couple things:

1. Make it clear on the page that progress is being made, ie reward success. For example, I cannot tell if I just Guru’d a kanji after a review, or if it was already guru’d before.
  2. Explain what the next steps are after a review. Add some text to make clear what the “next steps” are. IE “do more lessons”, “come back in x hours for your next review”, etc.
  3. Celebrate level up! The only sign right now is that the dashboard has changed and the number of lessons shot up.
4 Likes