Making Progress on the Dashboard, Take 2

Yeah, it’s so cute, haha.

And I wasn’t a fan of the first take on the dashboard, but this one is really well done. Nice!

(Although I wonder a bit whether it’s good for me SRS-wise to always see all these radicals/kanjis? I’ll probably reflexively think of meanings/readings while looking at them.)

2 Likes

When an item reaches guru, it gets a single full-length fully-filled progress bar.

1 Like

Ooh, very nice!
I really like the way you indicate the progress. It’s a lot more obvious/intuitive than the progress rings on the DPP script. I struggled a bit on that script with information density, but you’ve struck a really nice balance.

18 Likes

Oh hey, I do like this. I was all ready to hate it, but can’t.

6 Likes

Ah, this is much better! I was dreading the update that would make the first version official, but I think I’m actually going to start using the preview site now to get used to it :smiley:

Slightly off topic, there’s a userscript for a level-up celebrator that could do that for you - Level Up Celebrator - if you want to dive into the world of those (I personally would recommend it, it’s a lot of fun). I currently have lots of happy Pokemon dancing around for mine, but the preset cherry trees are great too! That would fix that want/need until something else comes along.

5 Likes

As a big critic of the first version, this one is really good! Well done! Looking forward to using it :slight_smile:

1 Like

My kanji and radical pictures are really small? is this just me?

Hmm, well, that’s not the intended rendering. :anguished: Which browser is that? We’ve got a few tweaks to make for IE 10 & 11 before it goes live…

5 Likes

Ah, shucks. We were generously inspired by the rings — it’s a great way to show the few steps it takes to get to guru. Thanks!

9 Likes

This is worlds better than the first iteration! LOVE it!

Also beginning to look similar to my userscript :] What I’d still love to see is having vocab on there (backlog and current level) since that lets you see progress in any stage of the levelup progress, but if its omitted for the sake of cleanliness, thats understandable.

2 Likes
Thanks for improving it!
Don't open it!
It contains grumpy honest thought of a real tsun.
Only open it if you're ready to Oshin 語!
Last warning!
You have been warned!

Q&A with @Oshin
Q: Do you like it now?
A: I don’t dislike it.
Q: Do you hate it?
A: I don’t hate it.
Q: Why?
A: No ultimate timeline like, but this one is better than the first one. And I especially appreciate Tofugu team ability to listen.
Q: Will you be happy next Tuesday when it’s really launched?
A: I won’t be unhappy. I’ll still expect something broken. Especially when it has to deal with my favourite userscripts. I just hope Flaming Durtle will always be ok when I don’t want to see desktop view when it’s really launched but broke my current desktop view.

This screenshot is not my latest dashboard. Later I may want to hide all this useless pane. And keep that new default WK bubble. I don’t know who will provide us that userscript though. cc @Pep95 no consider this as a sharing, not a request, I don’t want to disturb your life.

There, I mean I don’t want to see that “Level 32 Progress” and its graph later when it’s launched. As useless as the new hovering text when my mouse hovers on a bubble. Still I think I find rfindley’s bubble is more informative though less copywriting in human language. The blocks below each bubble, sure, of course I love that. I’m not @Redglare. I’m here to learn Japanese, not to see my username everytime my mouse hovers on each of these bubble.

This bubble hover is more informative for me. No, I’m not asking WK official team to change the current preview WK design to be like this. I’m just sharing what I think. That’s it. Never think this is my request. Now, I’m thinking of deleting this post. Why? Because if you ask me to create this design, I can’t do that. I can only be a grumpy cat. And I sleep.

9 Likes

it is microsoft edge? not sure how up to date though? Just on a shcool computer. Thank you for replying btw

Looks much better. Loving how I can see everything in one screen.
I really like the mini progress bar.

Just want to say good job!

Hi, I’m @Redglare, and I like being pinged. Thanks for pinging me, @Oshin.
The tiny mention of my name on the dashboard makes it feel like Crabigator is rooting for me :crabigator::sparkles:

“Redglare, the Crabigator sees that you have learned and guru’ed this kanji. Super mega good job! :durtle_noice:

5 Likes

The bubbles are made by @rfindley, and I’ve been seeing them working real hard on updating everything. Lots of tamper monkey pop ups about it. Great job!

I’ll also be working on getting my scripts back to work, though I’m not worrying too much about it as the only dependency I have on the dashboard is position, which is easily fixed. As long as WK framework works, I’m fine.

I love the new look a whole bunch more though. :blush: There is a much higher information density

4 Likes

Nice! Everything I wanted to point has already been discussed, notably @davemakes’s idea of showing locked kanji just a little differently so that they be a bit more visible and hoping for an easy way to tell at first glance when a kanji has been passed.
Apart from that, I’m really glad that you took the time to listen to everyone’s feedback and managed to come up with a solution that most people prefer.
Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

Love it. I was pretty indifferent to the first iteration, but I’m really loving this one. One thing to suggest is maybe add an option to hide the individual radicals/kanji bubbles, but honestly it’s not a huge deal if you don’t.

3 Likes

You don’t understand why I tagged you from my original post.

1 Like

Fantastic! Clean, modern look, helpful information, and motivating when you think you make no progress.

2 Likes