Making a transitive verb, intransitive

I was browsing some manga titles and I found one named “Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai” which was translated to “Kaguya-sama wants to be confessed to”. And I’ve become confused because 告る “to confess to” is a transitive verb as far as I know so a literal translation should be “Kaguya-sama wants to confess”.
I looked at jisho.org and couldn’t find the intransitive version of this verb “to be confessed to”.
So I assume that the translator took the freedom to make it intransitive.

Now my question is, how one would make this verb intransitive?

2 Likes

I’d like to know too. I am learning transitive vs intransitive verbs in college this year and I pretty much failed that section because I had no idea how to conjugate.

Well, as mentioned in jisho, 告る is slang, and short for 告白する. For suru verbs, I have trouble determining transitivity and intransitivity, I think the rules for suru verbs might not be very consistent.

Here are some basic rules for transitive/intransitive pairs:

2 Likes

I found this stack exchange, maybe it’ll help provide a little insight?

2 Likes

All of this is really interesting.
It made me realise that I, once again sigh, mixed passive and intransitive.
There cannot be an intransitive version of “to confess to” because of the to.
You must always confess to someone.

I may be wrong but:
告らせたい = want to make someone confess.
かぐや様は告らせたい = As for Kaguya, she wants to make someone confess.

2 Likes

I think you’re right. It makes more sense now that I’ve cleared my passive/transitive trouble.

It looks like causative, not passive. Causative means either to make someone do something, or to let someone do something.

Causative
る-verbs: Drop る and add ~させる
う-verbs: Drop う and add ~あせる

Examples:
食べる → 食べさせる
告る → 告らせる → 告らせたい

Compare this to the passive:

Passive
る-verbs: Drop る and add ~られる
う-verbs: Drop う and add ~あれる

Examples:
食べる → 食べられる
告る → 告られる → 告られたい

Note that 告る is a う-verb that happens to end in る

6 Likes

You should definitely read that one btw.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.