Made up Kanji in games? (Example for "Watakushi")

Did they actually change the right part to a triangle, slapped Furigana on it and defined this as their Kanji for “Watakushi”? I could not find anything about that one…

I would suggest it is an issue of font rather than made up kanji, but it does look odd.

4 Likes

The game does not use Furigana elsewhere, though and the other Kanji seemed pretty normal to me.

It’s just this one character who uses this one…

The only thing I can think of is that that particular kanji does have different readings, and perhaps the others only have one reading within the given context.

What’s the game?

I believe this is just a weird font thing. As for why it’s the only kanji the has furigana, it’s because 私 can be read as either わたくし or わたし, but the game wanted to specify that the character is using the わたくしversion, which carries a different nuance than the standard reading.

7 Likes

It’s Utwarerumono Mask of Truth.
The video where I found this is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPITFUc-V68&t=1841s

(It’s the opening of the final part of a trilogy, though, so that might be a bit spoilery, if you want to play it some time).

Yeah, people would read this as わたし if it had no furigana.

2 Likes

Although the Kanji looks super weird to me and I’ve never seen it looking anything like that, that might be it.

For example they also use Furigana on 主 because one pair of characters says that as “aruji” (which is uncommon, I guess?).

1 Like

Yeah, uncommon kanji usually get the furigana treatment as well. I think 主 (あるじ) is usually written in kana, which is why they probably added the furigana!

I believe わたくし has a formal and self-diminishing tone. I think Blathers in Animal Crossing uses it, if you’re familiar with his character, that makes sense.

The Wani Kani podcast also has an episode where they discuss it, I think the example they gave was if a celebrity were giving a formal apology, they would likely use わたくし when referring to themselves.

1 Like