Lots of small, seemingly simple fixes they could make WK less frustrating

Just use a 3rd party app like Tsurukame to fix your typos or ‘honest’ lazy entries, this will be a lot less frustrating. Add your own synonyms as you go.

For what I’ve been told for ビー玉, it stems from “B grade” marble so anything else doesn’t even make sense. I’d say WK is being generous by even offering びー玉 so you don’t have to switch.

Hmmm interesting. All the same it’s asking for the reading of the words, not proper spelling, so I think “this is how it’s pronounced,” not necessarily how it’s spelled. On a side note, is びーだま correct? I know it’s used in manga and stuff but way back when I learned hiragana I was told that the ーisn’t used with hiragana.

“Reading” here is basically a translation of 読み, which in a kanji-studying context essentially means 読み仮名, so it’s the kana that represent the reading, and so you can have identical pronunciations that are wrong just for spelling reasons.

For instance, when お sounds are lengthened, お or う can be used, usually differing based on etymology. They result in identical pronunciations of lengthened お sounds, but one or the other is correct, and the opposite is wrong.

Similar things can happen with づ/ず and ぢ/じ.

びーだま is not standard, for sure, but there’s no rule that a lengthener symbol can’t be used with hiragana. It’s just uncommon. For instance you’ll sometimes see ramen spelled らーめん.

7 Likes

I have seen the vowel lengthener ー used with hiragana, but mainly in things written for young children, where they use hiragana for everything - even things that would usually be written in katakana. So, personally, I wouldn’t say that びーだま is not “correct”, but I would agree that it is not standard.

1 Like

The double-check script actually does work on Firefox when using Violentmonkey. :slight_smile:
These also work:

2 Likes

Take this with a grain of salt, since I’m talking about Elementary/Junior High School students (but no one corrected them, so), I’ve seen Japanese kids write words such as こうもり(bat, the animal) in katakana as コーモリ, which would lead me to believe it’s the same pronunciation.

1 Like

Ah, gotcha! That would be more doable, since it would be similar to how the on’yomi/kun’yomi wiggle room for kanji works. Not too tough, but it would be time-consuming, so I can’t make any promises in the short-term.

6 Likes

Thanks again for the reply! Glad to have a passionate team that is responsive to community feedback! Keep up the good work :grin:

2 Likes

This is probably not the group to complain about this but I can’t find a better one and I must spit this out.

Why is the meaning mnemonic of burial : 葬 not about grass on top of death? Why is there a yakuza and spoon story when we’ve learnt 死 to mean death and it’s used just as it is in this new kanji? I know its not been taught as a radical (maybe it should be) but isn’t it quite clear how this kanji has come and therefore isn’t that the story we should be learning because its just easier?

I’ve got tons of other instances in mnemonics when I feel like this. I’ve got to level 37 without complaining about them in forums, because I didn’t want to be that recalcitrant parishioner within the koichi cult, but this time I just had to say it!

When wanikani announced that they were revising radical meanings, I thought hallelujah. Finally! The team is aware of these mistakes (that have really far reaching effects) but which seem to have become gospel over time. For example fingers/hand radical being nailbat. For every kanji that uses it, which mostly seemed to have a very legitimate reason for having the hand radical in it, we had to learn a story involving a nail-bat. Or create one’s own mnemonic - which is not what you want to do every time you do lessons. A lot is fixed after that big revision thing, but there’s still a lot of frustrating stuff out there.

4 Likes

Fellow level 37er here! completely agree with the burial. It’s very obvious the death radical is the most relevant here. Also I just stopped my review to come to the forum to complain about all the baseball related stuff. I really don’t need to know all those words, not even for reinforcement for this kanji :confused:

2 Likes

I thought so too, but I have absolutely encountered baseball vocab used in regular speech that had nothing to do with baseball or even sports.

Some of those terms seem so well known that people use them almost idiomatically. I can’t say how common it is exactly, so I’m not saying you should get serious about those terms, but I’ve encountered them at times when I didn’t think I would.

4 Likes

Certainly possible, like I said I could be wrong. I guess I was thinking of something like 委員 (いいん) where the pronunciation should really be two consecutive, but distinct い sounds as opposed to one long い sound. As least that’s how it sounds to me when I listen to it.

Could also be a case by case thing as well. There are certainly cases in English where you have the same letters together in words but pronounce them differently. The present and past tense of read comes to mind. Japanese is obviously much more phonetic so I doubt there is ever a case that extreme but there could be minor things.

Or, I could just be wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If the mora cross a morpheme boundary (as they do in the case of 委員, since one い belongs to 委, and one い belongs to 員) then it is possible for them to be distinct. Though I can’t comment that they actually are distinct there.

In the case of ビー玉, the い in the lengthener is within the same morpheme as the び.

1 Like

The only thing on my wish list is a slight delay before you can go to the next item on a wrong answer.
When I do reviews I often get into a rythm and start pressing next automatically, especially on items I think I’m sure about.
I know this can probably be easily achieved with user scripts, but I do a lot of reviews on mobile.

The app I use on Android has a mistake delay option. Not sure about iOS.

I use Tsurukame on iOS and it has a “my answer was correct” feature (among other things)

Shoutout to the person who created this app (I love you)

1 Like

So, I have to disagree with your answer here.

Assuming I understand the user correctly, it seems like he was asking whether or not you could have the exact keystrokes that would be interpreted as the proper kana registered so that if you accidentally typed them in the definition area it would notice that and give you a shake rather than counting it wrong. Apologies in advance if I misinterpreted that, but the following is based on that assumption.

You suggested that this would require manually defining thousands of instances, but that’s simply not true. All you’d need is to run a function that would convert entered characters to kana and check that against the registered kana readings to see if it matches. Wanikani already runs an algorithm that converts the roman alphabet to kana when typing in readings anyway, so it would be only a simple matter to have that same algorithm run when an incorrect entry is detected to determine whether or not the person thought they were supposed to type the reading.

Possibly, although there might be issues doing it that way as well that aren’t obvious. There are plenty of things that happen on the dev-side that I’m only peripherally aware of, which is why I’m only comfortable talking within the framework of how things currently work. A more definitive answer about what would be possible has to wait until Viet and Darin are back.

1 Like

That is my understanding of it as well.

@CyrusS And while the OP has made a feature request that might make sense for some, I personally wouldn’t want that to be implemented because sometimes I add synonyms that are the romaji equivalent of how I type the kana into an IME, for words that I already know from somewhere else, or that I personally find distinctly Japanese (English translation doesn’t quite hit the mark). If this request does appear in the future, I would appreciate it if it was a checkbox we could check/uncheck in the settings. “Shake on romaji meanings? Y/N” Maybe with an explanation “not recommended for advanced learners who specifically add romaji/kana as synonyms”… Or something.

… ???

(Sorry, I’m probably overcomplicating things…)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.