Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

You posted a page from the other book. Suddenly Minami sensei is touching our left earlobe again :wink:

3 Likes

Yes
voice rasps
It is your fate
Join the 憂鬱
Forever will it dominate your destiny but in a good way

1 Like

憂鬱 seems like a bad emotion to be dominated by. :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. It’s going to take me forever to go through all these samples…

3 Likes

Thought I double checked it :thinking:

1 Like

But it leads to enlightenment on the path to Haruhiism.

4 Likes

You know, I haven’t even watched the anime yet. I’m mostly put off by the multiple possible watch orders. For that reason I even book the first volume of the light novel in English (haven’t read it yet), and I wouldn’t mind reading it in Japanese too. I just think I need something to ease me into the more intermediate books (*cough* キノの旅 *cough*).

1 Like

Also are we excusing ペンギン・ハイウェイ due to it having pictures or no?

1 Like

I still think it’s too long. The no-furigana version probably doesn’t have any pictures, and it’s still over 350 pages.

How many pages is it, again?
@seanblue answered that.
That’s a shame though :confused:

I’d say we wait until next time. If things go swimmingly well, we can upgrade the reading speed, and thus increase the limit.

2 Likes

387 …

wtf

this 10 character requirement and now a complete sentence

2 Likes

I’m a strict devotee of broadcast order, but grits teeth to each their own!

Edit: largely because if you watch in chronological order, the climax is like episode 5. Because light novels are like 5 episodes. So… they mix it up with stuff from the other books (I think) in the show, in a way that is intentionally confusing but kind of adds to the fun imo.

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking as well. If it’s easier than other books nominated, we probably can do it faster. But it might be good to flesh out the process with another book first.

4 Likes

By the way, we got 8 nice submission in the blink of an eye (give or take a few hours).
I’m so exited! I want to read everything! :green_heart:

9 Likes

That’s how I’d like to watch it, but it’s near-impossible to find the show in that order. Hence why I haven’t bothered. It’s too much of a hassle.

At least you can watch it! I don’t think it’s available for streaming at all here.

I feel you. I largely don’t recommend it to people for that reason. When the anime was more recent, and I was comparatively more excited about it, this fact made me really angry. Oh well!

@Naphthalene I feel interested in a lot of these too!

2 Likes

Nooo, don’t gooo \ :sob: /

10 Likes

:joy_cat: I was thinking exactly the same but didn’t want to be rude…

6 Likes

It’s way too late here I should be in bed.
My brain is obviously trying to tell me something.

3 Likes

Well, I think I’m done nominating books. And I still have the read through the others. But I’m glad to see so much activity, we’ll revive this book club yet. :yum:

8 Likes