Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Okay. Well let’s let the new poll run for at least another day and if it seems like there’s enough support we can try to run both. I do like @jprspereira’s idea of offsetting them slightly (even if only by 2-3 weeks) so people can settle into a routine with Kino’s Journey before adding Your Name on top of it.

5 Likes

Are both options (light) novels or are they manga? I’m having trouble finding the poll/links

Perhaps you’re right. I’m sure the numbers will change provided that we give this poll another day (or two to sit). If the groups are okay with the numbers going in, we could give it a whirl and hope for the best for both groups.

1 Like

They are both novels, Your Name being a novelization of the movie and Kino’s Journey being a light novel.

1 Like

Awesome. I love manga too, but I’m excited to read another novel! Both sound good to me! I’m willing to try to read both simultaneously. Maybe even without furigana O: I may be overestimating myself

2 Likes

I was about to reply just that, good thing I kept on scrolling :rofl:
Well, I’m gonna keep on (sc)rolling then. Don’t mind me.

2 Likes

Okay, all, I have now closed the next book’s poll, Kino’s Journey being the winner. I have edited the title and OP to reflect that. I will create its home thread tonight (JP time).

As mentioned before, I think we should start one week after the next book of the beginner book club starts, so that people who wish to join both have a smoother transition.

@LucasDesu @seanblue Yes, I think we should leave the follow up poll open for a bit longer. We already have 40 votes, though, so it might indeed be fine to close it in a day or so.

3 Likes

NB: both books are available on FloFlo, if you want to prelearn vocab, or check easily words while reading :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Both versions of Kino are out of stock at CDJapan now. What have you done you monsters.
(Also all ‘related books’ are now book club books basically)

22 Likes

Customers Who Checked “Kino no Tabi the Beautiful World (Kino’s Journey) 1 (Magazine Edge KC)” Also Viewed

Girl’s last tour, Shirokuma cafe and Yotsubato :rofl:

The bookclub, once again influencing global market.

26 Likes

I kind of like imagining what the workers at places like CDJapan and Kinokuniya, like they see a sudden spike in sales for certain books every few months. I wonder what they think…

Also would anybody know around what level of JLPT would be recommended for キノ? The previews seem easier than 時をかける少女, but I’m not sure.

8 Likes

Really hard to say, since book aren’t going to follow JLPT classification. Even children books may contain grammar point that are considered N1 (said classification haven’t been made based on usage frequency rather than difficulty).

I’d say N3 would give you enough of a head start, with other structures understandable through context (or by asking the fine people here). N2 would make it a much more comfortable read, though, plus you would have a level high enough to look up things you don’t know in monolingual ressources (which I find usually better). Conversely, it’s also possible to follow along at N4, but it’s going to be an uphill battle.

2 Likes

Th-that’s the wrong book though right?

I’m probably still just N4 with a scattering of N3 and I’m going to try reading it. The increased (read: normal) kanji usage without much furigana alone could make it harder. At level 35 it doesn’t seem like a reason to stop you from trying it though.

Yeah, I’d say even in our simpler books and manga we encounter N2 grammar at least every few chapters and N1 grammar every once in a while.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s the wrong book.
I don’t know how to use CDJapan. :sweat_smile:

EDIT: oh wow, the other stuff is literally all the suggestions from this book club.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

4 Likes

But now it’s one of the recommended books for the correct Kino’s Journey book. Look what you did!

2 Likes

I’m just going to wait until someone posts the correct ebookjapan links. Last time I accidentally bought the manga first :joy: I should have previewed it before purchasing

3 Likes

It’s already in the first post…

4 Likes

Specifically, in the nomination tab of Kino’s Journey.
For convenience:

1 Like

I’m a book club noob \o/

5 Likes