Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

There is also another, different, book called 「君の名は。 Another Side:Earthbound」 so be careful not to buy that one by mistake

6 Likes

I didn’t read everything and maybe it’s a bit out of place for me to say this or I misunderstood, but concerning book clubs dying:

Why exactly would we want two books to run in parallel? Further splitting the bookclub and probably leading to the death of both splits? It just doesn’t seem logical to me.

5 Likes

Because there’s very little overlap between the group of people voting for each, and they are very close in terms of votes.
It does split people a little bit, but it’s better than just having more than a third of the voters not joining at all.

5 Likes

I think that if you create one big poll people might not realise all the different questions they need to answer.

I suspect you only (!) need three polls - one for each scenario and one to indicate willingness to help run a thread.

5 Likes

Ah yes! The links in the first post was very complete! =D
I just ordered Furigana version of all three books *Holds on to crutches. I’m not gonna make it harder than I have to :rofl:

Since we do two at once, next vote will come sooner! Maybe Wolf Children could win next time :wink:
If not it’s a book I wanted anyway and could try on my own =P

7 Likes

If we do two at once. :wink:

8 Likes

I’m basically up for reading as many books simultaneously (that I’m interwsted in) as I can, so I’d read it with you :wink:
In addition to the clubs I’m in, I actually want to also group-read Wandering Son, Haruhi, and Wolf Children basically simultaneously.
One can dream

8 Likes

Since I’m participating in ALL the book clubs, I would prefer to keep it for later, cause there are so many going on right now :rofl:
But if some one does start of I’ll be inclined to join in =P

I’m tempted to start a Genki group myself, cause just being part of a group with a schedule helps me keep motivated to actually get it done.
Without it I keep pushing it of, “tomorrow, tomorrow”, but tomorrow never comes =P

7 Likes

Same :raising_hand_woman:
(But I don’t mind waiting)

4 Likes

Well ebay claims my set of 放浪息子 arrived 40 minutes ago, and yet it’s not here. So that’s fun…

6 Likes

Winter is coming. Also incest is winchest(er).

1 Like

Of the virtues, patiences is my weakest. Or maybe it’s self-control. I feel like those are linked.

Anywho the main thing stopping me from Haruhi is knowing there are a few people in particular who would want to participate but don’t have time.

5 Likes

Ebay how dare you

3 Likes

Why thank you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Okay, here are some polls based on various scenarios. Hopefully I got everything.

First scenario: Only Kino’s Journey is selected. Would you read with the group?

• Yes
  • No
  • Not sure

0 voters

Second scenario: Only Your Name is selected. Would you read with the group? No longer relevant since Kino’s Journey won.

• Yes
  • No
  • Not sure

0 voters

Third scenario: Both Kino’s Journey and Your Name are read at the same time. What would you do?

• Only read Kino’s Journey
  • Only read Your Name
  • Try to read both, but prioritize Kino’s Journey
  • Try to read both, but prioritize Your Name
  • Read neither
  • Not sure

0 voters

Bonus poll: Would you be willing to run the book club for either of those books? That potentially means proposing one or more reading schedules, creating discussion threads for each chapter/week, creating a blank vocab sheet (if there’s interest), etc.

• Yes, for either book
  • Yes, only for Kino’s Journey
  • Yes, only for Your Name
  • No

0 voters

8 Likes

Again, wasn’t actually proposing anything.

But in an ideal world, like I said, those people not voting would be the best for the book club.

Isn’t this irrelevant since it has already been mentioned that just because people are active on the forums and vote for a book, doesn’t mean they will read it. This is literally part of the problem we were addressing.

2 Likes

Well Kino’s Journey sems like a clear winner so far.

Ouch.

6 Likes

Yeah, I think these polls are showing two things right now:

1. The more active members are more inclined to read Kino’s Journey (at least those that are awake right now).
  2. Reading both at the same time would be a huge mistake.
2 Likes

Iol this thread has pretty much convinced me I’m not serious enough to join the Book Club :sweat_smile:

There’s nothing that says you can’t at least try to start reading along if you want to.

10 Likes