Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

Difficulty wise it was fine. It was similar difficulty to Aria, slightly easier than Non Non Biyori (so far). Partly it’s hard to judge though. I rushed reading The Promised Neverland within the free trial period so I didn’t read for the comprehension I’d normally aim for.

As for content, I didn’t care for the writing style. You know how Aria sometimes puts nonstandard readings next to the kanji? Well this manga does it ad nauseum. Plus not much of the story was covered in the one volume, unfortunately.

I was considering nominating it, but once I read the first volume I decided not to.

2 Likes

Ahh okay, I kind of got the impression that I may end up having a lot more questions than answers after the first volume, so story progression-wise probably not suitable for the book club

Thanks for the response ^^

1 Like

I’m reading the first few chapters of the Yuru Camp manga, and if it seems suitable for the book club I was going to nominate that. I thought it might be an interesting pick as it doesn’t include any furigana; I figure if I’ve already looked the words up as far as I’m able it shouldn’t be too much harder, while being a bit more of a stretch for those who’d like the practice.

I’m still catching up on non non biyori and Aria at the moment though, so I haven’t gotten further than chapter 1 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I wonder how we can get something other than slice of life that still has payoff after one volume. Don’t get me wrong, I like slice of life. But it would be nice to read something else with the group from time to time.

The two I’m planning to nominate are Girls’ Last Tour (manga, no furigana) and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (book).

4 Likes

I agree completely, I’ve really been enjoying the slice of life manga so far but a change of pace would be nice too ^^ both of those seem like great nominations!

Here’s all the manga in my plan to read list. I doubt any of the light novels in my list would be level appropriate for the group.

List

It would be really interesting to read Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan since it’s a serious, one volume manga. But I don’t think it’s readily available to purchase. :confused:

Another one that could be good is Planetes. It’s a hard sci-fi manga and I already have the English version (though I haven’t read it yet). I have no idea if it would pay off after the first volume, but the whole series is only four volumes long, so it would be easy to continue if people enjoyed the story.

EDIT: Planetes is available to read for free until 9/13 if you wanted to check the difficulty:
無料まんが・試し読みが豊富!電子書籍をお得に買うならebookjapan
プラネテス(1) - マンガ(漫画) 幸村誠(モーニング):電子書籍試し読み無料 - BOOK☆WALKER -

5 Likes

Planetes is so good! I have the complete English version and it’s one of my favorite manga.
I’ll go ahead and check the difficulty. :slight_smile:

Oyasumi Punpun, Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou, and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou would also be really interesting.

Aaah, a lot of kanji I don’t understand, being in space and all. :joy:
Other than that, it doesn’t feel that hard, it’s mostly vocab and small kanji.
I would be willing to give it a try. :eyes:

1 Like

I’ve been reading that in English. Once is more than enough…

That one’s completely unavailable in English, so it could be good. Could also be difficult to get a hold of.

I read it 4 years ago. :joy: I also bought the first English omnibus, but I haven’t read it.
It’s high time I gave it another go. :eyes:

If the English version is also in four volumes, do you have a sense of whether reading just the first volume would still give some kind of narrative satisfaction? I guess people who enjoyed the first volume would only have to read three more to get the full story anyway, but it would be nice if the first had some payoff for those who don’t want to keep reading.

1 Like

Kiri no Mukou no Fushigi na Machi is available on floflo, and it’s also the book with the lowest unique word count in there. It’s probably very short and easy? I’ll check later if there’s some preview available on Amazon.

I have it and am intending* to start reading it in the Autumn; it’s another one I was considering nominating if it seems suitable (I may be a bit hung up on unnecessarily test-reading things before nominating). It has occasional cute illustrations, is just over 200 pages long, and I can take photos if there’s no Amazon preview.

*But you know, the road to hell…

2 Likes

Let me check. :+1:

From what I remember, it has a lot of small arcs that are completed besides the main story.
Although it still is slice of life (in space, with psychological and seinen themes).

Hot damn, 40 to 50 page chapters. :sweat_smile:
Still, not a lot of text, I’d say.

Well, for a 45 page first chapter, that was only 5 minutes of reading (in English).

I think it has a lot of narrative satisfaction to give, even from the first chapter.
I may be biased, but it’s still a 10/10.

Skipped through the first volume, it’s pretty good.

3 Likes

Found a preview on the website of the publisher:
Select 試し読みする on the following page:

Looks fairly easy, and (sadly?) light on kanjis.
Some characters have a weird pronunciation; that might trip up real beginners though.

1 Like

English version is five volumes, but they basically just split the fourth volume in half (they’re numbered 4.1 and 4.2). Volume 1 basically ends with the setup of the main storyline - it’s reasonably well-contained, but it certainly points forward to the rest of the manga.

1 Like

Oh, I have the omnibuses so I didn’t remember that part.

Volume 1 ends with a nice cliffhanger, and close to presenting a new character.

2 Likes

That was my first impression from flicking through, and part of why I want to try it before nominating: I don’t want to be responsible for another Kiki experience!

1 Like

Was Kiki too hard or something?

I didn’t participate myself, but I think the lack of kanji in particular, as well as a slightly unusual language style in general, made it harder than it otherwise would have been. Only a few people finished it.

1 Like

Also, books have a high learning curve because of how books are written in general.

1 Like