Longtime Japanese Learner and Multilingual Mama begins WK for 1st time (Study Log)

Sorry for replying to an old post and sorry if this is already mentioned in other posts as I didn’t read them all…

My parent did this, but my mom made a mistake (she admits to this) in that she didn’t require us to respond in the respective language. She regrets not making us use the same language so I would suggest insisting on this. Also, once they get older and have school to get their English you can probably use less and less English or visa versa depending on what the local language is.

1 Like

Thanks so much! We will definently insist. I grew up monolingual and so did my husband. We are going in blind. Any tips welcome :smile:

1 Like

Wanikani
Getting more new kanji and vocab is feeling good. Pretty sure my accuracy will forever be on a downward trend from here out as I definitely noticed a major difference this week. Mostly in the 90-95% accuracy per review versus the like 98-100% I was having before. I don’t care about the accuracy as long as I’m fully internalizing the content, but not only were there more new items for me than ever before, but this week was also unusually hectic for me irl so I just didn’t have much time or attention to devote to WK.

Tobira textbook study

I’m just hanging onto my goal of finishing Chapter 5 by Sunday evening… I can still do it but I worry this won’t be a sustainable speed for long, especially if I have the odd week like this where I was just incredibly busy all week.

Kanji N2 Study

Done with Chapter 5 with Tobira Kanji workbook but I was supposed to start yesterday on Chapter 6 and haven’t gotten there yet (will be starting this evening). I’m plugging along with Kanji in Context but that book takes much more time and attention so again, I feel I’m just barely hanging onto my goals there… hope to be in a better place next week where I feel more confident that I can keep up.

Speaking

French week at home so I didn’t do any extra Japanese speaking practice unfortunately.

Extensive Reading

Reading Chapter 9 of 魔女の宅急便 but not as far with it as I’d have liked to be. I’ve gotta catch up to the Stragglers Read Kiki deadline of tomorrow to hopefully have something to say for the discussion…

Hoping for a more straightforward week upcoming with much more Japanese and just more ease with everything… all my daily chores and tasks, Japanese and otherwise!

1 Like

Wanikani
Unfortunately this week was just as busy as last so I wound up consolidating more of my reviews than ever before, speeding through them and just overall not internalizing the new items very well at all. However, I’m sure the hectic schedule is going to slow down soon so I’m just holding on for dear life trying not to burn out.

Tobira textbook study

I’ve slowed back down to one grammar point per day for the sake of keeping sane rather than stopping altogether. I’m hoping to speed up again when I can displace the time spent on other endeavors at the moment. Hopefully this upcoming week or next at the latest.

Kanji N2 Study

Chapter 6 of Tobira Kanji Workbook plugging along, but similarly I’ve had to cut back temporarily on the Kanji in Context workbook. I’ll pick up the pace again soon.

Speaking

Accountability for the win. I schedule my italki lessons 2-3 months out, so I had 5 half-hour italki lessons on the docket for this week and made that happen despite all the other time drains. I also had a conversation with a Japanese friend I hadn’t spoken to in a while.

Extensive Reading

Nearly finished with Kiki but I’ve paused Olive’s Ocean for the moment until things settle again.

Most of the busyness has been good things… just time-consuming good things. I need to simultaneously fit in more time for rest and also more time for Japanese in the upcoming days. But also… it’s time to get my garden going again for the year, so we will see how things play out. But if the choices are between time spent in the garden, time spent resting, and time spent improving my Japanese, my life is going pretty well… none are bad choices, nor choices I’ll regret spending time on later.

1 Like

Congrats!

What are you planting for your garden? I just planted garlic, onions, beans, lettuce, radishes, and carrots! I also can’t seem to do more than one grammar point a day… Maybe I should do it on the weekend too.

I’ll update more on my studies this weekend when I level up again. This is a few days late because of the other life things, but I leveled up Sunday morning and expect to do so again.

@eainge, for the garden, the only things I’ve sown out so far are mache, chicory, radicchio, spinach, and cilantro (which can handle the snow we are still likely to get a bit of), and a whole bed of daikon (I’m aiming for an early summer harvest of 50 daikon!!). I’m in zone 6a so it is still quite cold here, but we had one nice week (last week) when the daytime soil temps warmed up so I managed to sneak in the germination during that time and now have little radish sprouts that should be able to handle the severe freezes we will still have a couple of (last night it was 24F…). But I’ve started all my peppers and tomatoes, many flowers, and a few of my spring veg plantings indoors. I’ve been doing a ton of prep work on all my raised beds and I pruned all my fruit trees, got our front yard ready for planting bare root strawberries and horseradish (we took out our lawn two years ago and have been converting it into edible landscaping/permaculture food forest), repaired the corners of my raised beds so they’re all plumb again. And I still need to start all my flowers for the year indoors, too and I’m waiting on a truckload of woodchips… still a bunch more work in the month ahead but it should be slower going now.

3 Likes

Congrats on your level!!! ~~~

Wow - sounds like a beautiful edible forest. I’m imagining a swirl of colors. Sounds like you’ve been really busy.

For our garden, we just have two 3’x6’ raised beds on the side of our house. We made them out of old doors from our basement and painted them blue, and they look very picturesque. Next to it we have a lemon tree that we just planted this year, which has been a big goal of ours. In the future we’d love to figure out how to do tomatoes…

We also have a persimmon tree, which is both a blessing and a curse. It’s the most popular tree in our neighborhood, judging by the number of people we find sneaking to grab some persimmons in the fall (or knocking on our door explaining that we should give them some.) Sometimes people even bring fruit pickers to get persimmons from the tops of the trees…I feel like such an elderly woman, going out onto the porch and saying “What are you doing??? Get outta my tree!” I think they assume that because we aren’t Asian, we don’t eat them, but we do. I mean yes, before we moved into this house, I’d never eaten a persimmon before, but now it’s become my favorite fruit. We make salad dressing, hot sauce, cakes, and jams out of them, and I also just eat them raw with cream. Next year I’m excited to make 干し柿!

It has been way too long since I checked in here. I intend on writing more about my updates this week but life has just been extremely busy for me lately.

BUT IT’S TIME TO CELEBRATE!!! I made it through my full-speed run to level 18. I intend on slowing down now, essentially adding 1 day per level or two (so like 8 days for level 18; 8-9 days for level 19; 9-10 days for level 20, etc.) until I give birth… but it is DEFINITELY time for be to be slowing down. I think this past level there were 8 kanji I’d never studied before, so I’m finally at the point where I’m getting lots of new vocab and my learning is really kicking into gear. Yet I’d like to focus more on my other study materials and spend less time doing my daily wk reviews, so I’d like to gain a few minutes per day back here and there to be doing that stuff…

Again… I intend to update more this week… so somebody hold me to that, please!

5 Likes

I’m glad to hear from you. :slight_smile:

Congrats on making it to your speed run goal. That’s a huge milestone! How much time until you’re due? Seems like it’s coming up. How are your JLPT studies going?

Hey - How are you doing? I saw you leveled up to 20. Congrats!

Have you been reading anything interesting lately? How’s the N2 studying going? Seems like it must be close to when you’re going to give birth this summer…eee that’s crazy! Hope you’re doing well though. ^_^/