Long word is long

高等学校卒業程度認定試験 (こうとうがっこうそつぎょうていどにんていしけん)

just ran across this while looking up 高等学校 to see if jisho.org had any more information. immediately went “huh. that’s a terrifying word.” followed by “huh. i can read most of that now.”

it looked like most of the other threads of this nature have fallen off/expired. so… new thread: have you seen anything like this recently in your readings?

19 Likes

And I thought 自動販売機 was bad!

5 Likes

that was my favorite word when i was in school. just rolls off the tongue easily too.

7 Likes

Yeah, Japanese loooves its compound nouns. For example, 東北地方太平洋沖地震

6 Likes

aw yiss shiritori points come to me

i personally like じりつしんけいせいうんどうしっちょう

8 Likes

that’s 自律神経性運動失調 (autonomic ataxia) for those feeling lazy. i like the 運動失調 at the end though. i have a feeling i would have never seen the japanese version of ataxia (even though the characters are taught pretty early) if it hadn’t been for this thread.

7 Likes

連合艦隊司令長官

(Combined Fleet Commander in Chief).

This used to be a mouthful for me but it rolls off the tongue relatively easy now. It’s the title of the Combined Fleet Admiral in the Imperial Japanese Navy. It’s also the name of a film about Isoroku Yamamoto of the IJN. The recent remake with Yakusho Kōji was pretty good, I thought.

3 Likes

…and that’s how i ended up reading wikipedia for half an hour late at night when i should have been doing the first reviews of level 20. never gonna get to bed at this rate.

6 Likes

Every day struggle! See something interesting that leads to something else interesting that leads to something else even more interesting… gah! Kinda like hanging out in the community, right?

2 Likes

As a German: Love it.

(Sadly enough, it would probably be written as “Tokyo-Erdbeben” instead of “Tokyoerdbeben” in German. Boring, I know. But we love to concatenate other words, e.g. “Frühwarnungssystem” (early warning system), so at least “Tokyo-Erdbeben-Frühwarnungssystem” would still look pretty majestic!)

3 Likes

Haha I been there! Started w Oda Nobunaga… and it’s 3am. :expressionless:

This sign when I was in Osaka/Nara (the blue text).

I was level 22 at the time, this was the moment where I reflected on how WaniKani had taught me so much in so little time. Despite the long string of kanji which would’ve normally just scared me away, I was able to read it easily.

5 Likes

That is a great story. Also, I was also able to understand it, and its making me so happy right now. I was in Japan in April 2019 (with zero Kanji/Hiragana/katakana knowledge) and now in January 2020 I could get most of your image.

This really works. Thank you for the ego boost.

2 Likes

高精度視線速度系外惑星探査装置 = High Accuracy Radial Velocity Planet Searcher (HARPS)

I remember it traumatized me a little. I was a complete beginner, was looking for a fairly simple word on jisho (I think it was “accuracy”) and ended up finding this one… :laughing:

5 Likes

Wow, I’m surprised I could read that. Whether or not I would’ve been able to figure out what it means even after breaking it down, that’s a different story :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I can barely even tell what it means in English. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Also, ignoring the “Velocity” so that it makes a nice acronym is a bit cheap.)

3 Likes

i think this one might just win the thread. a 15 character kanji blob nightmare.

Lazy self-quote from another topic

case of the assassination attempt on the president of 西鳳民国

Long and intimidating when you initially see it, but very straightforward in its meaning.

2 Likes

Here’s some I found on Wikipedia
19 kanji - Name of a breed of Japanese morning glory
青水晶斑入弱渦柳葉淡桃爪覆輪采咲牡丹

22 kanji - Both same as above
黄縮緬立田芝船龍葉鳩羽色総鳥甲吹上車咲牡丹
黄打込堺渦柳葉淡水色地青紫吹雪撫子采咲牡丹

23 kanji - Name of a bus stop in Shizuoka
曲金静岡視覚特別支援学校静鉄不動産静岡南店前

31 kanji - Name of a school
高知県宿毛市愛媛県南宇和郡愛南町篠山小中学校組合立篠山小学校

1 Like

No. Not a chance. Someone’s having a laugh.

Ok, so someone’s put a lot of attention into this prank, but I still refuse to believe it.

Huh. That building in the background looks kinda like a Toyoko Inn. If it is, maybe I’ll stay there sometime. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes