Advanced Japanese Book Club // Reading 虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ

Reposting here since it’s too long for Intermediate club, sorry for the confusion.

Reminder: the book is on sale until July 30th on BookWalker and Amazon (digital version)

魔女の旅々

Summary

Japanese

あるところに旅の魔女がいました。彼女の名はイレイナ。

旅人として、色々な国や人と出逢いながら、長い長い旅を続けています。

魔法使いしか受け入れない国、筋肉が大好きな巨漢、死の淵で恋人の帰りを待つ青年、滅んでしまった国に独り取り残された王女、そして魔女自身のこれまでとこれからのこと。

わけのわからない可笑しな人や、誰かの美しい日常に触れながら、今日も今日とて魔女は出逢いと別れの物語を紡いでいきます。

「構わないでください。私、旅人なものですから。先を急がなければならないのです」

魔女。――そう、私です。

English

It’s not about the destination…

What’s your favorite story? Does it have a hero who slays a dragon and saves a princess? Or a child of prophecy destined for greatness? Well, my favorite story is a little different. It’s the tale of a witch who travels the world, seeking nothing in particular. With no quest of her own, she’s free to wander wherever the wind takes her, adding a few pages to the story of whomever she meets before setting off on her next adventure. At the end of her travels, the witch takes on an apprentice who will one day begin her own journey. And so the cycle continues, or so the story goes. Now, the witch who starts the story anew…who could she be?

Length: 344 (単行本), 373 (digital)
Category: faster pace

Availability

Amazon
BookWalker

Personal Opinion

I don’t expect anything mindblowing in terms of plot from this book. Just a witch wandering from one town to another doing some witch stuff. Written, from what I’ve seen so far, in understandable language.

Also seems to be quite popular (has been in top 10 in このライトノベルがすごい! ranking for three consecutive years).

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Looks easy to read
  • Main character is a witch (people like witches here, right?)
  • Consists of short stories (may be a con for some people)

Cons

• Pricey (compared to other light novels)
  • Little character development due to episodic nature of the stories

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

5 Likes