🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Winter 2023 ❄ 🧤

February 16 :film_strip:

I’m so glad Netflix has been consistently adding more Japanese content lately! I’m currently watching Dearest (最愛) and it looks like exactly my kind of show. It starts with the apparently carefree, happy life of young people in a quiet village, but with glimpses of tension and secrets just underneath the surface. Then fast forward 15 years later in Tokyo, and the investigation of an old crime in connection with a new one. I’ve watched the first episode and continuing straight to the second. Just what I needed today.

13 Likes

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: February 15

Listened to Teppei for beginners #54. I also tried to listen to a video on book recommendations inspired by some people in this thread but I didn’t understand much and I quickly gave up so I’m not counting it. Maybe in the future. At least it was fun to think about what I might be able to do eventually.

11 Likes

Feb 16, Thu of Week 8 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

So-matome N2 Listening Ch.3 [4/5].

聞くだけで一気にわかる日本史 : 明治. Also revisited 江戸.

Pokemon EP.11.

11 Likes

:snowflake: Day 47, 16th of February :snowflake:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Watched episode #42 of PiroPito Minecraft. I really struggle with this challenge, because not even watching someone play video games can make this something I’d do gladly.

11 Likes

January 16th!

Today I watched Episode 3 of Season 2 of Way of the House Husband.
I had English Subs on because I was eating dinner while I watched so I couldn’t keep going back to re-listen to bits, or pausing to read the subs in Japanese.
I managed to understand a fair amount by listening, but not enough that it would have made sense to me without the subs!

(Home Post)

11 Likes

Summary Post

February 16th
What did I listen to?: Oneus things :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:
How much time did I spend listening?: ~21 min

Today I went searching for content related to my favorite k-pop group in the entire world, Oneus :two_hearts: And I had way more success than I did with Key content yesterday :joy: First I watched a reaction video titled 【ONEUS】初めてONEUSを見たらかっこよすぎた件www - basically it was these two guys looking into Oneus as a group for the very first time. They read through all the member profiles first (which deeply tested my knowledge of numbers because they were reading like heights and ages and stuff lmao). Then they watched the MV for A Song Written Easily (which is an excellent choice for a first Oneus song imo :ok_hand: not like you can really go wrong but I’m probably a little biased) Their obsession with Hwanwoong was so funny :joy: literally though he’s so noticeable, he was the first one I could pick out too :joy: He’s small and charismatic and he has very distinct facial features/expressions, like he is literally always doing something with his face. Hwanwoong is great, we love Hwanwoong :heart_hands: This channel has more Oneus reaction videos that I’m 100% going to watch.

Then I watched an unboxing of the In Its Time album (which is the album A Song Written Easily is on! Fun fact no one asked for, but that was why I picked it lmao). Unfortunately the video was super hard to understand because the person chipmunked her voice for no apparent reason, it sounded like she was being fast-forwarded the entire time :sob: But I did get that she’s a Seoho bias and she pulled a Seoho card so that was nice for her :smile:

13 Likes

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: February 16

Listened to Teppei for beginners #55, also played BU$TAFELLOWS 1h and Tales of Arise 1,5h.

10 Likes

Feb 17, Fri of Week 8 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

So-matome N2 Listening Ch.3 [5/5]. Hardest part is still number and calculations. There are scripts in answer key, though.

A little of 東京裁判, but this one has audio different from JP sub, as well as western-produced and feels one-sided. Didn’t finish the episode.

The Journalist EP.1. Should be OK if I read subtitle, which is synchronized with the audio, I think. New vocabularies too.

おいしいごはんが食べられますように [5/12].

8 Likes

February 17th!

Usually I try to do a bit of dedicated listening practise even on days when I have a class with my tutor, despite the fact that obviously requires lots of listening - but today we dedicated a good portion of the class to doing listening comprehension exercises so I felt like I’d already done a lot of listening practise today and decided to let myself off from doing extra listening this evening.

As well as the listening exercise, we also spent time talking about Valentines Day, our plans for the weekend, my wedding anniversary and NHS Dentistry fees.

(Home Post)

12 Likes

the AI voices drive me mad. There are these awful anime heads with robo voices that make TONS of videos that would be interesting topics for me, and they have multiple channels for their topic sets too so I can’t just block one and be done. Always a disappointment to open a video and get AI voices :weary:

I started that and didn’t finish it back when it was released :see_no_evil: I got 3 or 4 episodes in and it was great though! I just had…a bazillion other shows I was watching in tandem :sweat_smile:

Also HI! I totally fell off this challenge due to ~2 weeks of traveling, although I did listen to some Japanese probably half of those days due to audiobooks. I guess now is the time for me to finally finish watching 最愛 :joy:

11 Likes

You won’t regret it, it was great throughout. I binge-watched it in two days (because I really needed the distraction, but never mind that), and it had the perfect blend of mystery, secrets, tension, likeable characters and complex antagonists.

8 Likes

Feb 18, Sat of Week 8 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

So-matome N3 Listening Ch.5 [3-4/5]. Remaining from the last month.

The Journalist EP.2, first half.

おいしいごはんが食べられますように [6/12].

11 Likes

:snowflake: Day 49, 18th of February :snowflake:

Today I once again tried to look for Japanese gaming youtube channels. These are the videos I watched:

12 Likes

February 18th!

Just a tiny listen today because we have guests staying with us this weekend - but I listened to an episode of Nihongo con Teppei for beginners. It was about nutrition.

(Home Post)

11 Likes

I went to a Japanese speech contest today that had 8 speakers for about 5 minutes each. I understood about 70 of one speech as she spoke quite clearly with easy vocabulary. For the other 7, 2 I completely blanked out as my brain got tired (they were the 2 top performers :sweat_smile: :rofl:) and then I understood the gist of the other 5 speeches so good listening practice I would say.

Also did some Miku Real Japanese earlier.

11 Likes

Feb 19, Sun of Week 8 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

So-matome N3 Listening Ch.5 [5/5].

聞くだけで一気にわかる日本史 : 大正・昭和. The time of World War I and II, respectively. Also revisited 明治.

おいしいごはんが食べられますように [7/12].

10 Likes

February 19th!

Today I listened to the final episode of JapanesePod101’s Upper Beginner Season 1, and then moved on to the first episode of Lower Intermediate Season 1.
I wasn’t sure if it might be too much of a step up, but I actually understood the dialogue pretty well. It was about akaname - demons who like to lick dirty bathtubs.

(Home Post)

12 Likes

:snowflake: Day 50, 19th of February :snowflake:

I watched episode #43 of PiroPito Minecraft. He’s building a new house! I was surprised by how much I understood; sadly not enough to understand the general meaning of the sentence, only keywords.

12 Likes

Kinda low effort listening days

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: February 17

Played BU$TAFELLOWS for an hour and Tales of Arise for an hour and a half or so

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: February 18

Some listening from Nier Replicant

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: February 19

More Nier Replicant listening

11 Likes

Feb 20, Mon of Week 9 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

So-matome N2 Listening Ch.4 [1/5].

おいしいごはんが食べられますように [8/12]. Repeat once.