šŸ”Š šŸŽ™ Listen Every Day Challenge - Winter 2023 ā„ šŸ§¤

Summary Post

I didnā€™t quit the challenge, I just didnā€™t want to post :upside_down_face: I mentioned this in the reading thread too, but it was nothing personal to anyone or anything, I was just in a very ā€œdonā€™t look at meā€ mood the whole week :see_no_evil: Work is very busy so I might not post here super often, to keep my stress at a manageable level while still doing the challenge. Trying to make sure I donā€™t fall into the trap of ā€œI donā€™t feel like posting about the thing, so therefore Iā€™ll just avoid doing the thing.ā€

Anyway, hereā€™s what Iā€™ve been listening to while Iā€™ve been not posting :laughing:

February 6th
What did I listen to?: Onomappuā€™s video about Exo
How much time did I spend listening?: ~14 min

This was pretty comprehensible for the first 2/3rds but then I stg he started talking 50 times faster all of a sudden and I didnā€™t understand anything for the rest of the video :joy:

February 7th
What did I listen to?: The Midorikawa videos that basilsauce linked
How much time did I spend listening?: ~24 min

Me the entire time:

But it seemed like they were having fun and that was enjoyable to see :laughing:

February 8th
What did I listen to?: Atashinā€™chi episode 1
How much time did I spend listening?: ~6 min

February 9th
What did I listen to?: Atashinā€™chi episode 2
How much time did I spend listening?: ~9 min

February 10th
What did I listen to?: Atashinā€™chi episode 3
How much time did I spend listening?: ~8 min

February 11th
What did I listen to?: Atashinā€™chi episode 4
How much time did I spend listening?: ~8 min

I didnā€™t know how Iā€™d feel about this animation style, but itā€™s grown on me quite a bit. Man, these little episodes are easy to just throw on after a day of work. My level of comprehension is pretty variable, sometimes they talk quite fast or in a panicked way which makes it more difficult to understand xD But overall Iā€™m enjoying them and will continue them for sure!

Extremely belated replies

Who has that kind of time :sob: Literally just break it into shorter episodes, I donā€™t understand why the majority of podcasts seem to default to these ridiculously long episodes. I assume the majority of podcast listeners must prefer it that way because itā€™s so common but I canā€™t for the life of me figure out why :joy: Even if you listen to it at 2x speed (which Iā€™ve heard of people doing, though I couldnā€™t do it myself), a 10-hour podcast is still 5 hours :sob:

This is something I always lose sight of, I feel, so this is a good reminder that itā€™s ok to not do it ā€œperfectlyā€ the whole time. Like, some listening is better than none, and none is not the end of the world either. I feel like me giving myself permission not to post this week was a positive step toward that kind of mindset. I realized itā€™s not always the listening itself thatā€™s the problem, but a desire to avoid the stuff around the listening that holds me back from listening. Removing those unnecessary pieces can help me actually do the thing, which is the goal all along.

This is something that weirdly never occurred to me as a thing I could do. I think part of me assumed that non-learner-focused Japanese podcasts would be in some weird inaccessible place but from the list you linked it seems like there must be a pretty decent selection on Spotify? I donā€™t use Spotify and generally disapprove of Spotifyā€™s entire existence but I would begrudgingly use it for that purpose as long as I donā€™t have to pay for it lmao Iā€™ll check out some of the Youtube channels you linked, too :slight_smile: And when I have more time Iā€™ll definitely be searching out the Japanese side of K-pop Youtube - I can safely say that if I can find content about my boys I will have no trouble sitting through it regardless of how much I understand :joy:

12 Likes