🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Winter 2023 ❄ 🧤

Summary Post

February 4th
What did I listen to?: Old Enough!/初めてのおつかい
How much time did I spend listening?: ~25 min (2 episodes)

I was supposed to start this challenge for February and it is now February 4th oops
I’m not gonna lie, I was just not motivated to start this challenge at all :weary: I’m still sort of contemplating dropping it and just focusing on the reading challenge because I’m enjoying that right now and listening just sounds so… :upside_down_face: I don’t have anything interesting to listen to, like nothing I can think of appeals to me at all.

This is a lot of whining, sorry

The idea of a learner-focused podcast just sounds deathly boring to me, podcasts just don’t interest me as a medium and the topics seem so mundune which does not motivate me to try and overcome my general disinterest in podcasts. (Admittedly, my only direct experience with these is Nihongo con Teppei, which was understandable for the most part but not something I would characterize as “interesting”). I don’t know how to find interesting things on Youtube, because I don’t even know what I would want to look for, I feel like I only ever find good things on there by accident and my Youtube algorithm is not set up for Japanese language content :upside_down_face: I don’t have the attention span or listening comprehension for something like a movie or audiobook, and an anime feels like too much commitment for right now (also probably too hard).

I feel like trying to improve listening is such a catch 22 for me because the stuff I’m most likely to need/use is the same stuff that I would dread having to listen to if that makes sense lmao. Like I’m utterly unmotivated to listen to anything that would be remotely useful in situations/conversations I might actually encounter at some point, all I want to do is listen to weird stuff on random topics with zero relevance to anything I would be discussing in my actual life :joy:

Anyway…I like Old Enough but I have already watched these episodes with English subs :upside_down_face: And I really struggled trying to understand anything without English subs, I turned on the JP captions for the second episode because I felt like I understood NOTHING of the first one and it sort of helped but not really. Some days I don’t really mind just listening without understanding but my tolerance is low today :joy:

As I was writing this, I was scrolling through the thread looking for any potential listening materials I might have glossed over or forgotten about - this is me rambling/making notes

I finally looked to see what Onomappu actually is and found his video on Japanese picture poses - I was like, ah, finally, something that aligns with my interests :joy: :joy: I’ll probably watch it tomorrow. I wonder if there are any k-pop j-tubers…a lot of k-pop groups promote in Japan so it feels like there should be? I’m going to do more research on this. Absolutely no one else will be interested, but that’s fine :joy: I should just learn Korean but Korean is hard

Also probably going to watch this at some point, I do not know him or his band but this type of content calls to me :joy: Also interested in the visual kei things, I don’t know anything about visual kei but the premise of the videos sounds interesting and fun.

15 Likes