🔉 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge (Summer Edition) 🏖

Japanese Ammo with Misa recommends basically reading the sentence backwards if you want to try to learn from anime with English subs. Here’s a video where she shows how to do it. I haven’t tried this myself yet, haha, but it’s an interesting method that makes a lot of sense.

I have one recommendation, but it’s a little difficult for me to figure out where to put it because it’s technically advanced Japanese, but the listening part is supplemental to the media, so you can watch it at any level of Japanese knowledge and even if you understand literally nothing, it’s still enjoyable to watch.

(It’s Japanese pro-wrestling :sweat_smile:)

I’ve been compiling some links to free matches in the pro wrestling thread, because a lot of shows are only accessible through various different subscription services, but many companies post at least some matches on youtube, so there is quite a lot of stuff available for free (legally). It might not be to everyone’s taste, but for anyone who is looking for something a little different, it’s an option.

8 Likes

I’m so excited to be joining everyone for this challenge! 一緒に頑張りましょう!

:coconut::palm_tree: moon_tofu summary post :hibiscus::pineapple::cherry_blossom:

Jul
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Aug
01 02 03 04 05 06 07
08 09 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Currently tuning into
  • Shikimori-san is not just a cutie
  • Spyxfamily
  • Let’s learn Japanese from small talk
  • Random YouTube videos (that pique my interest)
13 Likes

Is it alright to edit directly on the post?

One recommendation I have are YouTube channels like this. They are manga that comes with voiceovers so you can practice both your reading and listening skills!

8 Likes

yesterday I’ve relistened to episodes 63 – 114.

6 Likes

Yeah, add the link right to the wiki! If I’ve got motivation this weekend I’ll try to add some of the other stuff people have linked here too

6 Likes

For this, I think it can be categorized by genres / interests as well; but perhaps a little hard for absolute beginner. Aligning with interests will make things fun.

After trying listening more for a few days, and thinking a little deeply about listening, it might be nice if I can find materials that speak clearly, and I can repeat – on the range of audiobooks, with accompanying texts, I guess.

• I’ve just found that audiobook.jp app can be installed on Android, easily in my region.
  • I guess 昔話 and 童話 are also on this style.
  • Bookwalker should have it? I don’t know how.

On more natural spoken materials, I am not sure if there should be guiding / distracting animations or not. After all, I want to really focus on listening. From a quick listen, I like 味な副音声.

Another non-priority worry

Although, I am also worried about conversations / dialogues, it’s not my priority right now.

5 Likes

If you need any help with spanish Im a native speaker シ (thats a smiley face)

4 Likes

Might join this after thinking about it some more. I don’t really tend to consume a lot of media like a lot of my peers do (neither in Japanese, English or my native language Dutch), but I do come across plenty of material to get my worth out of it. Like I wouldn’t be able to binge a show anymore, I don’t even tend to watch the same show over multiple days. I do like to have a dedicated day for netflix content which I can have JP subs for and a day for crunchyroll content with EN subs. The rest of the days I can fill with other content such as youtube or games. It’s different from my approach to reading, so this challenge I might just grab whatever I can find.

Examples of things I’m using for listening practice atm are:

• Netflix; Old Enough! (JP), Komi-san S2 (JP), Cowboy Bebop (no sub)
  • Crunchyroll; Spy x Family (EN), Dai (EN), Digimon Ghost Game (EN)
  • Youtube; Meshclass Japanese (JP), Onomappu (EN/JP), Japan Travel and weird apartment vids
  • Spotify; Acidman, Ulfuls or just a mix of Japanese songs
  • Games; Persona 4 Golden (JP)

Not an exhaustive list, I’ve also watched some vtubers stream on occassion or see game trailers in Japanese. I could maybe look at podcasts, news and audiobooks as well, although I’m not really into that to begin with so idk. For myself it is good to have a variety in platforms, difficulty, time and effort so I don’t get overstimulated. At the moment it’s mostly low effort because of how I like it. Watching a 90 minute movie would probably take me a few hours because of being distracted or losing focus, unless I’m able to tap into hyperfocus… pretty sure the listening portion of the jlpt exam will be a disaster :joy:

16 Likes

Day: -20 :neutral_face:

Okay, so reading a book while listening to it is too hard for me at the moment - I can’t read that fast, and there are always things I need to look up. It takes too much pausing for my liking. It’s been a hard day today in many respects, so maybe it will feel easier tomorrow. So what I did instead was listen to the first chapter multiple times. I did catch much more with each repetition, but again, I don’t think that’s something I can realistically keep doing for long. I still need to figure out what works for me.

For an easier challenge, I watched an episode of Shirokuma Cafe, and sure enough, my comprehension was at around 70%? Much better, but it doesn’t excite me as much as audiobooks do. I’ll keep it as an option for low energy days I guess.

16 Likes

I was watching a video by ひめねぃ様 today and realized it’d probably be good practice for intermediate learners? It has hard JP subs and while he sometimes talks a little fast, it mostly staying on the topic of what he’s immediately looking at. Topic: 女装男子 going through and talking about his clothing collection

I’ll probably listen to more this evening but no idea what. :wind_face: Wherever the wind takes me :sparkles:

If I didn’t already know you weren’t a fan of コーヒーが冷めないうちに I’d recommend that :sweat_smile: It’s read pretty slow and doesn’t have many unusual words scattered throughout.

I’m not sure what sort of controls 聞き放題 gives you (I buy books outright so I get the plain mp3s) but can you slow it down?

8 Likes

If you have any interest in visual novels at all, I think finding a voiced one that appeals to you could be super helpful for getting used to hearing and reading Japanese in tandem! Just the structure of like one line being shown and spoken at a time that you can take at your own pace without the pauses feeling unnatural is so helpful. I can only really speak to my own experiences obviously, but going through VNs like that increased my reading speed so much, like you’re encouraged to go faster by nature of it being read to you, but you don’t have to, you can still take your time and figure things out, it’s a great balance :grin:

12 Likes

I watched recorded Japanese news today while a storm knocked out the live TV. Apparently, now that tourists are allowed back in Japan, the business people are scrambling to get enough tourist souvenirs, extra food, etc., set up and ready to go. Interesting!

14 Likes

I always knew I wanted to start doing the audio quiz using the self study script, and I’m using this as an excuse to do it! I’ve used it 3 days in a row now, after my morning reviews/lessons.

I noticed in conversation, I would have no clue what a word would be, and then after having it explained to me, I realized I could read the word just fine because I had learned it on wanikani. But my brain never connected the audio to the reading/kanji. So i’m hoping that the self study quiz will help me be able to actually recognize all these vocab I’m learning when people say the words, instead of just reading…

13 Likes

Summary post

I know I said I wasn’t going to update every day, haha, but I wanted to check in again. So far, the challenge is going well! I watched the second episode of La Casa de las Flores and still feel like I’m able to understand 80-90% of it, and I also watched the second episode of 夢プロレス-dream on the ring- (These episodes are delightfully short for a language learner! This one was just over six minutes. Just a warning, 凛咲子 talks about her past doing gravure, and there is some footage of that in this episode, so it might not be the best choice for watching at work, haha).

I couldn’t resist trying to understand a little more of this episode because I wanted to find out more about 凛咲子 and why she wants to do wrestling, so this time, I watched it all the way through without pausing, then went back through and paused on most of the subtitles so that I could read more of them and look up some unknown words.

I didn’t look up everything, and there was some unknown grammar that I didn’t even try to parse, so I feel like I understood maybe 70% at best, but it was cool being able to understand as much as I did without really trying. I’m still very far from being able to understand even a fraction of that without subtitles, but I feel like reading along and listening to the audio is maybe helping at least a little?

One thing that I’m definitely sure about, though, is that there’s no way I can do the listen every day challenge in both Spanish and Japanese and the read every day challenge in both Spanish and Japanese at the same time. I’ve been neglecting my reading in both languages ever since I signed up for this challenge (though, arguably, the practice I’m getting by watching shows with subtitles is more reading practice than listening :sweat_smile:).

I think I’m going to tentatively stick to doing the listening challenge on the off month, and then focusing on the reading challenge during the main challenge period.

There’s also a chance that I’m going to get more hours at work over the summer, so that might further limit me, but I’m going to try my best!

15 Likes

Home post

Today and yesterday I listened to a few episodes of Sakura Tips, a podcast for JP learners with over 500 3-4 minute episodes featuring slow simple Japanese :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Yesterday I’ve relistened to episodes 115 – 147.

11 Likes

I’ve been studying Japanese for a while now but listening has always been something I’ve neglected T_T so now I’m really trying to buckle down and improve my listening comprehension.

For active listening I’m using Satori Reader. The site has really helped me with my reading and now I’m going back and listening to stories I’ve already read (without looking at the text).

For passive listening I found this weather channel on YouTube WeatherNews. They broadcast daily and it’s really easy just to put it on in the background. Since everything they talk about revolves around weather they end up using a lot of the same words which is very helpful.

13 Likes

I’m just coming back from a 1+ year hiatus from studying japanese (aside from the occasional podcast) so I really need this as I’ve forgotten so much. I’ll be listening in June but I won’t start tracking because I’ll be focusing on reviewing for the rest of June.

Jul
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Aug
01 02 03 04 05 06 07
08 09 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
12 Likes

Listening over coffee today: 傑作から新作まで、最近読んだおすすめ本4冊を紹介!

Honestly pretty difficult for me. Sometimes I was understanding everything and other times there’d be multiple words in a sentence that were ??? for me. He also spoke fast enough that attempting to read the words on the screen (あらすじ mostly) while listening was hopeless.
I added a couple of the books he mentioned to my wish list - we seem to have similar tastes. I think I might put this channel into my regular rotation as it’d just past where my comfort level is so would be a good growth opportunity.

Side note: I was kind of giggling how he kept calling 異邦の騎士 a 古い作品 because it was written in…the 1980s. :joy:

12 Likes

Well, you set yourself some different standards, it seems :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for your suggestions btw! I’ll try to follow a few of them (although my listening ability is quite poor, so let’s see how it goes…)

4 Likes