🔉 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge (Summer Edition) 🏖

Listened to an hour of 仮面病棟 while commuting back and forth today. I’m still enjoying it quite a lot, but have little else to say :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Really busy week at work this week, so I haven’t done much listening. Yesterday I watched another episode of Pokemon Journeys, but i struggled to pay much attention, I was just too tired. Tonight I will try to rewatch something I’ve seen before, to see if I pick up something new, and take a bit of pressure off the listening.

10 Likes

July 21 :red_square:

I listened to quite a lot today: 30 minutes of かがみの孤城 (her voice is starting to annoy me, or it may just be that I’m not in the best of moods), and two book review videos. I understood…words. Not much else.

10 Likes

I’m short on time today so watched some YouTube. One was a book summary about how to lose weight (mainly to keep science-y words fresh in my memory. I watch this channel a lot for that reason) and another was a cute little video about a study cafe and interviewing the people studying there.

Book review videos can be so hard :sweat:

7 Likes

Today’s podcast was really good. I understood just about everything!

11 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220721 :loud_sound:

Day XXX: : うなぎのかぎ賃 :fish:

Listened to today’s Edo tale!

It’s been 30 days now of listening and I don’t think my understanding of anything has improved at all. Guess I should try and find something easier :thinking:

8 Likes

It’s easier to see progress if you’re mostly listening to the same general vocab set (for me it was crime shows early on) and also taking notes on your comprehension on first listen, then trying again at some date in the future and making new notes and comparing. I used to do that every ~90 days and it helped me see progress.

6 Likes

I may have jumped off the wagon, ehehe… :see_no_evil: But here’s a resource I wanted to share. It’s for practicing your number listening skills. Website: Gou Ninja!

It plays off a short audio clip and you have to write the numbers you just heard :1234:

10 Likes

Haha, that’s a brilliant idea! But at that speed I cannot manage to type in the number, even if I understand it straight away :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

July 21st!

Today I listened to Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners, Episode 25 and also watched another episode of Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens.

(Home Post)

Thanks for the link @NicoleIsEnough! It was really interesting. It did make me want some ramen though… :sweat_smile:
Also I was excited to see them visit the Ameyoko underground market since its featured a few times in a manga I’ve been reading (Mitsuboshi Colors) :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I’ve heard horror stories about the JLPT N3 test and hearing numbers in the audio test portion. Sounds like a worthy endeavor to get those down.

6 Likes

Ouch my brain :joy: I started out up to 100 and was like “wow I’m doing better than I expected!” and then I went up to 1000 and everything shut down lmao

6 Likes

I weirdly did better on this than I expected to, but I had to watch if it captured the number I was typing as I tended to start typing before it allowed input. Seeing as numbers are honestly something my brain ignores a lot of the time this is reassuring :sweat_smile: Age? I remember. Percent? Remember. Years? Fine. Someone’s height in centimeters? I’m American so my brain straight throws that away :see_no_evil:

6 Likes

Summary Post

July 21st
What did I listen to?: Super Bunny Man Let’s Play Part 3
How much time did I spend listening?: 18 min

Sorry I don’t have anything interesting to say today. I’m here, barely. That’s pretty much it. Today is major brain struggle times :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 4

July 21
Nihongo con Teppei Z, episode 32.

10 Likes

For the most part, height measurements for me also go in one ear and out the other, but there have been many occasions when someone’s height becomes a literal plot point in Japanese pro wrestling. Here’s part of a DDT Pro Wrestling press conference with the American indie wrestler Andrew Everett, who claims to be a 223 cm giant, but DDT billed him as 175 cm. When Andrew protested, they forced him to measure his height onscreen during the press conference, while he tried every possible trick to try get out of being measured.

I won’t spoil how the press conference goes, but it’s pretty funny, haha. It’s in both English and Japanese, so it’s some nice easy listening practice, though the final punchline tests your listening comprehension of numbers a little bit.

7 Likes

Jul 22, Fri of Week 4 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today’s story is 不思議な岩穴 (:studio_microphone:) from 鹿児島県.

Just a natural geographical feature, I guess. I don’t have a good image today.

Story impression

This is how 大金持ち becomes 貧乏.

Yesterday, I listened to the playlist (りっきぃの夜話) from another day while traveling, but then got drowsy, total of about 20 minutes. Also, the understanding was limited.

Then, I got an italki class for 1 hour (but not while traveling anymore). it was generally good and I can ask for studying guide (and on Zoom too); but the actual teaching haven’t started yet. It got me wonder a little whether I got on italki to improve my vocal chatting, or also to improve understanding via grammar? So the tutor just said to apply for more only if I want to have such a course with him.

Then, I watched an anime with JP sub and Language Reactor. Reading every spoken lines and playing audio (if required to check) are helpful – with BGM and music make it even more fun. It is also possible to listen to a line, then speak the subsequent lines. Probably the pros of Language Reactor I haven’t really used until then. Though, of course it took some time; so I watched only 1 episode.

8 Likes

July 21 :blossom: Home Post

Today I watched more let’s play stuff, and then I messed with that number thing which was an adventure :joy: My listening comprehension at this point is definitely more general, so testing for more specific understanding like that can be challenging. It’s all gradual improvement :muscle:

Very relatable lmao, same thing with celsius temperatures, I’m just like “I’m gonna pretend I know vaguely what that means” and then I move on :joy:

9 Likes

July 22 :orange_square:

More book review videos (I guess I like torturing myself :sweat_smile:), one of them specifically on the book that is currently top in the Mystery Novel book club poll over at Natively. I understood, well, words again, but probably more than yesterday. Progress?

Also a video on yokai again. This is more like an encyclopedia read-aloud than a video. Images (and I assume text) by 水木しげる. 27 yokai starting with あ presented in 15 minutes. Not as fun as it could be. The images are lovely, but they do need more animation for a video. I need more interesting yokai content!

9 Likes

@omk3 I don’t know if you noticed but both the videos had this weird little…hand gesture? Head posture? :sweat_smile:

Is that supposed to be the thinking emoji (:thinking:)? :joy:

Anyways, the second youtuber was new to me so I checked him out, but a different video as even though it said ネタバレなし I didn’t want to potentially ruin any of the fun if that book got picked which it’s certainly trending towards. Instead I watched a fairly mindless one where he sees how many books he can find with 名探偵 in the title :stuck_out_tongue:

Again with the hand chin!

It also brought up a book that might be potential easy read for the book club down the line. Reading the summary and the first page or two it seems probably in the mid 20s for Natively levels? 異世界の名探偵. The publisher seems to be exclusively light novels

7 Likes