🔉 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge (Summer Edition) 🏖

Home post

LEDC
Week 4

July 19
Several Monster Hunter World weapon introduction videos

9 Likes

July 19 :blossom: Home Post

Just watched another let’s play today! I’ve been in a silly let’s play mood lately, and I’ve been enjoying these dumb RPG videos :joy:

キヨ talks at a million miles an hour always which was pretty overwhelming at first but I think I’m getting used to it actually? Push me past my limits :laughing: I’ve certainly gotten enough for these wild RPG concepts to be entertaining haha.

Oh man yeah Super Bunny Man is absolutely wild :joy: definitely the sort of thing to watch if you just wanna have a silly goofy fun time lmao

9 Likes

I’m intrigued that you are reading out loud, polv. I think that it is absolutely helpful to me, but I haven’t done it at all in the last several months.

I thought I wouldn’t bother with Hunter x Hunter series in all Japanese for a while, because of all the topic-specific vocabulary. I haven’t tried the first episode again in a while. I’ve gone through it twice, so far.

I just really REALLY want to actually know every word in a first episode of something!

My friend extracted sentences from the first episode of Midnight Diner Tōkyō Stories… and we did a group read-through line by line once on Discord with Netflix/Language Reactor. I think all that works brings me closer, but I haven’t reviewed that Vocabulary again and given it another try, yet.

I’ve been binging Japanese Quest Breath of the Wild play through videos. He uses waaay too much English. I’ve played BOTW through 3 times in full, so I really really want to understand it all in Japanese. It was too far over my head last year when I tried. His vids are 4 years old… but he just started live-streaming Xenoblade this week. The language seems 50% within reach. I’m tempted to try it.

8 Likes

mon…ok…nothing…it was a public holiday though…I went out… public announcements, random people, directions, waiters…does that count??
tues;tuesday cafe, dance, yoga
wed: social cafe event, then met up with a Japanese friend (switched between English and Japanese)

10 Likes

That might be a good idea. A series in vogue that also has JP sub (at least in my region) would be SPY x FAMILY. Combined with Language Reactor, that would be easy to do, as well as easy to compare to native audio.

I am tempted to try Death Note, but in my region, there isn’t JP sub in Netflix (although I can get the text some other ways).

Another way is to download the subtitle transcript, then add narration lines (in Japanese, self-composed) – to make a fully standalone audiobook transcript.

Jul 20, Wed of Week 4 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today, as well as yesterday evening, I listened to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=363UfVStHTs&list=PLd0QB86GkG8MqIGVKfRCGtXph9hdjybwH in which the subscription came from earlier listening from Hukumusume. The voice is clearly spoken, with a nice BGM; however, I didn’t catch much, as well as there is no real Japanese transcripts for this one. (YouTube do have auto-generated option, however.) The actual transcripts are supposed to be found here – https://hhs.parasite.jp/hhslibrary/.

In the evening, I took a booked italki lesson, but the teacher said he can’t speak English, and I can’t speak Japanese well. (He can speak Mandarin and Japanese.) He recommended to find a English-speaking teacher. Then, I booked an instant trial 30-min class with a new teacher. She was ok, but I am not quite satisfied. (I entered italki classroom too early and got kicked out; then I talked via Skype.)

Then, my trial sessions ran out. Nonetheless, I booked a professional teacher to teach me N4-N5 grammar tomorrow. (Yeah, I specifically chose grammar lessons; as well as I gave my self-introduction in English, and chatted in Japanese afterwards.)

So, in total, I talked in Japanese (with speaking and listening) for about 1 hour, but far from smooth.

9 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220720 :loud_sound:

Day XXIX: : 金の鳥居(とりい) :shinto_shrine:

Listened to today’s folktale on Hukumusume!

9 Likes

Polvさん

On a slightly different note, I just went to my Netflix, and there was a new, Netflix-produced live action “DeathNote” movie (!) that has Japanese subs and dubs in the US… if you can’t get it, we could at least maybe have a watch party on Discord, because I think that I have that functioning at the moment (I dunno your time zone; I’m in US Central, which is GMT-6). Maybe you can get this version where you are?

But, frustratingly, while the anime can have Japanese voice-acting, the subtitles are English or none.

Good job chatting in Japanese IRL… I’m still being too cheap to pay for a tutor. LOL. You are creating jobs!!

3 Likes

July 16-20 :white_small_square:

Just posting to say that I have nothing to report. I missed 5 days of listening because of a combination of factors such as bad internet, lack of comfortable listening conditions, and being preoccupied with other things. Hopefully this changes tomorrow. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Continuing with Bite Sized Japanese podcast…pats myself on the back for understanding 60% and sometimes even up to maybe 80 % of the episodes with subs.

11 Likes

July 20th!

Today I watched an episode of Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens during my lunch hour, and couldn’t help but chuckle thinking about @NicoleIsEnough expecting the link I sent to be a documentary about ramen and then discovering it was in fact a fairly odd anime about assassins…and sometimes baseball :grin:

I also watched the first episode of The Bite size Japanese Podcast, which I found pretty comprehensible. Thanks for sharing the link @Sailnir!

(Home Post)

9 Likes

:joy_cat:

Today I re-watched the first episode and then watched the second one. By now I started to like the characters and the somewhat weird setup! :grin: So thanks for your recommendation anyways :wink:

I’m sending you a real hakata ramen documentary to compensate for it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
This is a documentary from my favorite Tonkotsu Ramen shop in Tokyo (which is called Kikanbo). Unfortunately the documentary is mainly in English, but you can hear the chef talk in Japanese sometimes. いただきます :blush:

7 Likes

Glad you liked it!

1 Like

Home post

LEDC
Week 4

July 20
Nihongo con Teppei Z, episode 31.
Anime: コタローは1人暮らし, episode 1.

Watched episode 1 of this anime I saw on Netflix a while ago and added it to my list because the speech of the kid was funny. The episode was actually nice, I might keep watching it. Kinda hard to understand him sometimes though, I’m following with subs.

9 Likes

I saw that one, as well as another serialized live-action adaption; and both have JP sub. However,… personally I am not interested in either.

About the price of tutors – Indeed I paid for textbooks and materials as well. Still, I expect the price of getting a man for grammar (and study guiding) is going to skyrocket in the future.

Jul 21, Thu of Week 4 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today’s story is 産女(うぶめ)の幽霊 (:studio_microphone:) from 高源寺(こうげんじ) in 長崎.

Started at just before 3 minutes’ mark, also in dialogue style. But yeah, I searched from Hukumusume. Also, there is a real transcript / subtitle for this one, but it doesn’t match the audio :smile:

Furthermore, there is also a playlist – so, longer listening and practicing reading transcripts is possible (but expect spoken variants).

Today, copied to Google Sheets due to the fact that, Yomichan works in Google Sheets, even with partially-changed text colors (similarly doesn’t work in Google Docs). Nonetheless, I didn’t look up much today.

Story impression

Started similar to the other day. However, this one has 恩返し. Not only that, the 願い is for public welfare!

8 Likes

Summary Post

July 20th
What did I listen to?: Super Bunny Man Let’s Play Part 2
How much time did I spend listening?: 21 min

I was supposed to be reading today but tbh I had a hell of a time getting myself to sit down and do anything at all this evening :upside_down_face: Too many distractionssss. I feel like I just got home from work and suddenly it’s 10pm :joy: Super Bunny Man felt like the path of least resistance. Idk that I would characterize this as “quality listening practice” but it’s…a listening practice :joy: Tbh I paused it at least 3 times before finally finishing it too, like that’s how badly distracted I’ve been, can’t even sit down and watch a whole video at once

10 Likes

July 20 :blossom: Home Post

I just watched another let’s play today. Nothing too crazy, but I did manage to watch the whole video at once without getting too exhausted which has really happened never :joy: so maybe stamina increase yay!

10 Likes

Listened to an hour of 仮面病棟 while commuting back and forth today. I’m still enjoying it quite a lot, but have little else to say :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Really busy week at work this week, so I haven’t done much listening. Yesterday I watched another episode of Pokemon Journeys, but i struggled to pay much attention, I was just too tired. Tonight I will try to rewatch something I’ve seen before, to see if I pick up something new, and take a bit of pressure off the listening.

10 Likes

July 21 :red_square:

I listened to quite a lot today: 30 minutes of かがみの孤城 (her voice is starting to annoy me, or it may just be that I’m not in the best of moods), and two book review videos. I understood…words. Not much else.

10 Likes

I’m short on time today so watched some YouTube. One was a book summary about how to lose weight (mainly to keep science-y words fresh in my memory. I watch this channel a lot for that reason) and another was a cute little video about a study cafe and interviewing the people studying there.

Book review videos can be so hard :sweat:

7 Likes