🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Summer 2023 🏖 ☀

:headphones::sunny: taiyousea’s home thread :flamingo::loud_sound:
study log

June 30th:
:desktop_computer: :partly_sunny: 天気予報 おおしま・りん (6:50)
:desktop_computer: :newspaper: NHKニュースウエブ 大豆ミート (1:54)

trying to figure out my method of tackling this challenge before it begins

I’m easily distracted during listening-only practice, so I tried doing a dual listening method with two youtube videos. For each of them, I first listened with my eyes closed (this was significantly harder with the weather broadcast video because Rin is laughing 90% of the time, but I used my satin sleep mask and felt very fancy) and then listened again with eyes open to take in more information and see if my understanding changed with the images/gestures. I definitely was not expecting to have missed so much of the NHK video from eyes-closed listening but I’ve also never come across vegan/vegetarianism in Japanese media before!

I’m not sure if I will stick with youtube videos the entire way through the challenge, but I’m also not much of a podcast/audiobook person? Ah well, we’ll see how my habits and interests develop this month ( ´ ▿ ` )

14 Likes

So today I listened to the first episode of Nihongo con Teppei Z to have a good start on this challenge. Normally I just listen to the beginner podcast, but today I felt a little :sparkles: spicy :sparkles:

Also I leveled up to 26 today! Can’t wait to fight myself trough the new lesson pile
ₕₐ ₕₐ

10 Likes

July 1, Sat of Week 1 of Summer Q3 2023 :beach_umbrella:

YUYU, 1 new episode.

Cop Craft 1 Ch.2. About 10 minutes left. Read afterwards.

8 Likes

:sound: :beach_umbrella: Summer 2023 Listening Challenge :beach_umbrella: :sound:

Resource Time listened
Podcasts 87 h, 57 min
Month Total listened
7月 8 h, 47 min
8月 10 h, 10 min

Detailed daily log
7月
Date Resource Time listened
7月1日 YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト 16 min
7月2日 YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト 41 min
7月3日 YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト 44 min
7月4日 さくら通信
YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト
56 min
21 min
7月5日 YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト 14 min
7月6日 YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト 14 min
7月7日 YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト 16 min
7月8日 YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト 56 min
7月9日 YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト 1h 05 min
7月10日 YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト 20 min
7月11日 YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト 28 min
7月12日 YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト 15 min
7月13日 YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト 13 min
7月14日 ゆる言語学ラジオ 21 min
7月15日 ゆる言語学ラジオ 16 min
7月17日 ゆる言語学ラジオ 17 min
7月19日 ゆる言語学ラジオ 17 min
7月22日 ゆとりっ娘たちのたわごと 37 min
8月
Date Resource Time listened
8月21日 YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト 46 min
8月22日 YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト
こんにちは未来
35 min
24 min
8月23日 こんにちは未来
さくら通信
24 min
34 min
8月24日 WONT
YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト
44 min
17 min
8月25日 WONT
さくら通信
31 min
31 min
8月26日 ゆるコンピュータ科学ラジオ
となりの雑談
味な副音声
23 min
25 min
17 min
8月27日 ゆるコンピュータ科学ラジオ 1h 5 min
8月28日 FF14ことりのリンクシェル通信 1h 3 min
8月29日 FF14ことりのリンクシェル通信 1h 7 min
8月30日 FF14ことりのリンクシェル通信 1h 4 min

I’ll be joining this one again after a while c: . Like the reading challenge I won’t make a calendar for it but I do want to track the time I spend listening to hopefully inform and improve my study. I’ll also round down every number when it comes to seconds cause ehhh too lazy ^^ . Good luck!

Also thanks @omk3 for hosting once more <3 .

:loud_sound: 7月1日
YUYUポッドキャスト #71 (16 min)

11 Likes

:beach_umbrella: :sunny: Twelve's Summer Listening Home Post :sunglasses: :parasol_on_ground:

:books: My Study Log
:open_book: My home post in the Read every day challenge

That felt like a long month of no Japanese listening, let’s get back into it! Here’s some of the things I’ll be listening to:

:mount_fuji: Nihongo con Teppei
:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese
:arrow_right: Youtube videos

= listened for <= 10 minutes
= listened for > 10 minutes

:beach_umbrella: July :beach_umbrella:
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
:sunny: Aug :sunny:
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Template

:beach_umbrella: Day X, X 月 X 日 :sunny:

:headphones: : Back to my Home Post

10 Likes

Home

・7月1日・

宝石商リチャード氏の謎鑑定 ドラマCD第1巻「追憶のダイヤモンド」 (4 parts, total 23 min)

正義:「お前はさ、仕事してない時もそういう感じなのか?」
リチャード:「そういう感じとは?」
正義:「クールっていうか、ドライっていうか。本物の宝石みたいだ」

9 Likes

:headphones::desert_island: taiyousea’s listening challenge :flamingo::loud_sound:
my study log

July 1st:
:speaker::sun_behind_rain_cloud: 天気の子『小説』
Audiobook Narrator’s Introduction (3:51)
Prologue Part 1 of 3 (6:21)

Trying out an audiobook for the first time! I have the physical novel for 天気の子 so I figured it would be perfect to listen to the audio for it, just in case I don’t understand a word/paragraph I can just go look at the 書き方.

This is also really fun because I read 君の名は for the Spring Reading Challenge and this accidentally continues into a Shinkai Makoto trend. The audiobook for 天気 has some really great voice acting in it, with different actors for different characters’ dialogue which is new for me! It could only be better if it was the type of audiobook that did occasional sound effects (though I’m still in the prologue, so fingers crossed!)

This challenge is the first time I’ve ever tried to tackle several minutes of listening without being otherwise impeded by the usual internet browsing or video watching that I would normally do while audio plays. My brain’s auto-response is to say “Oh! I don’t know this, time to zone out” but when I really try hard to listen I find that I understand quite a bit. I’m hoping that this challenge breaks my zoning-out habit!!

zoom back to home thread

13 Likes

July 1st!

I travelled to visit family today, so I didn’t start the challenge as strongly as I was planning to!
But I did do some listening - two episodes of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners, and a short JapanesePod101 video called Must-Know Expressions for Agreeing and Disagreeing.

(Home Post)

11 Likes

Today I listened to 3 episodes of Nihongo con teppei for beginners ( 241,242 and 243) and a few minutes of an audiobook I started yesterday. I am not sure if I should count it, since I also read the physical novel while I listen to the voice acting :eyes:
Maybe I can just count it for listening as well as reading, but it certainly feels like cheating :octopus:

13 Likes

I’m definitely going to be doing this with audiobooks. :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: My listening’s not good enough otherwise. >.< I figure listening’s listening, right? Even if you’re not getting the “maximum” benefit, you’re still getting something, and you’re motivated (even more important).

11 Likes

Nicole216's Home Post

Hello everyone :wave: It’s already one day late, but I want to join the challenge once again. Unfortunately the spring challenge didn’t go so well for me. Somehow it’s more difficult than I thought to squeeze some listening into my day. But I hope that I will be able to do a better job this time around :sunglasses:

Previous month 7月
:beach_umbrella: 7月 :sunflower:
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Detailed log for 7月
date
2日 kurzgesagt ダイソン球への道 - 究極の巨大構造体 :tv:
kurzgesagt フェルミのパラドックス - エイリアンはどこにいる? :tv:
JLPT N3 Mock exam :radio:
3日 Comprehensible Japanese The Star Talers :tv:
4日 Comprehensible Japanese Temple and Shrines :tv:
5日 Comprehensible Japanese The People on Japanese Bills :tv:
6日 Comprehensible Japanese Terrible Twos :tv:
Comprehensible Japanese What is Comprehensible Input? :tv:
7日 Comprehensible Japanese Spot the difference - Cherry blossom viewing :tv:
Comprehensible Japanese ヒヤッとした出来事 :tv:
8日 Comprehensible Japanese Fukuoka’s local specialities :tv:
Comprehensible Japanese Japanese Tea Ceremony :tv:
9日 Comprehensible Japanese Kachi Kachi Yama (Jap. Folktale) :tv:
10日 Comprehensible Japanese Tanabata Festival :tv:
11日 Comprehensible Japanese Traditions of Obon Festival :tv:
12日 Comprehensible Japanese Autumn in Japan :tv:
13日 Comprehensible Japanese Extensive reading :tv:
14日 Comprehensible Japanese Kabuki :tv:
15日 Comprehensible Japanese Halloween in Japan :tv:
16日 Comprehensible Japanese Doraemon’s Gadgets :tv:
17日 kurzgesagt 地球で最も孤独な場所、深海に何が隠れている? 深海 :tv:
Comprehensible Japanese Kasa Jizo (Japanese Folktale) :tv:
18日 Comprehensible Japanese Japanese Zodiac :tv:
19日 Comprehensible Japanese Try these japanese riddles :tv:
20日 Comprehensible Japanese Traditional Japanese Sweets :tv:
21日 Comprehensible Japanese MUJI products we have in our house :tv:
22日 Comprehensible Japanese Conversation with Noriko Sensei :tv:
23日 Comprehensible Japanese Try these japanese riddles #2 :tv:
24日 Comprehensible Japanese The Nose (japanese literature from Meiji era) :tv:
25日 Comprehensible Japanese Contradiction (a Chinese tale) :tv:
26日 Comprehensible Japanese Good luck meals japanese students eat before exams :tv:
27日 Comprehensible Japanese Japanese “Goshugi” Culture :tv:
28日 Comprehensible Japanese Animal Guessing Game :tv:
29日 Comprehensible Japanese Karaoke :tv:
30日 Comprehensible Japanese Mercury and the woodman :tv:
31日 Comprehensible Japanese Animal Guessing Game #2 :tv:

:tv: - Video || :radio: - Audio

:sunflower: 8月 :beach_umbrella:
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Detailed log for 8月
date
1日 Comprehensible Japanese Measures against COVID-19 :tv:
2日 Comprehensible Japanese My pets :tv:
5日 Comprehensible Japanese The most painful memory :tv:
6日 難聴うさぎ 耳が聞こえないのに何で喋れるの?。。。 :tv:
7日 Yakuza 0 Chapter 8,9,10 :video_game:
8日 Speak Japanese Naturally Exploring a japanese neighborhood :tv:
9日 Comprehensible Japanese 雨の日 :tv:
10日 Comprehensible Japanese My town :tv:
11日 Comprehensible Japanese What I do in the morning :tv:
Miku Real Japanese 【がち】“tend to” in japanese :tv:
12日 Miku Real Japanese 【ずに】“without -ing” in japanese :tv:
13日 Comprehensible Japanese Language Learning :tv:
14日 Comprehensible Japanese Japanese Table Manner :tv:
15日 Comprehensible Japanese Hina Dolls :tv:
16日 あかね的日本語教室 Hokkaido Vlog :tv:
17日 Comprehensible Japanese Sakamoto Ryoma :tv:
18日 Comprehensible Japanese The seven deadly sins (Anime) :tv:
19日 Comprehensible Japanese Valentine’s Day in Japan :tv:
20日 Comprehensible Japanese Country guessing game :tv:
21日 Miku Real Japanese Vlog - Strawberry picking :tv:
22日 Comprehensible Japanese Foods we often eat in summer :tv:
23日 あかね的日本語教室 Tokyo Vlog :tv:
24日 Comprehensible Japanese Actions with paper :tv:
25日 Comprehensible Japanese Ghibli movie quiz :tv:
26日 Speak Japanese Naturally A walk with a dog :tv:
27日 Comprehensible Japanese The tortoise and the hare :tv:
28日 Tales of Zestiria (Anime) S01E01 :tv:
29日 Tales of Zestiria (Anime) S01E02 (First half) :tv:
30日 Tales of Zestiria (Anime) S01E02 (Second half) :tv:
31日 Comprehensible Japanese Body parts :tv:

:tv: - Video || :radio: - Audio || :video_game: - Videogame

Previous challenges

Spring 2023

13 Likes

:beach_umbrella: Day 1, 7 月 1 日 :sunny:

:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese - Aquarium
Haven’t listened to any Japanese the past month, but this was suprisingly manageable.

9 Likes

:watermelon: :wind_chime: 7月1日 :wind_chime: :watermelon: (Home Post Link)

Listened:

• Last week’s 朝ミオ ~15 minutes. Talking about favorite drinks today. In the off-month I actually haven’t been watching any mio, so was kinda nice to come back to!

I was going to watch the new ホリミヤ without subs but then i saw it was adapting the single chapter in the series that I remembered having a super hard time understanding. I think next week I’ll definitely try it without subs though.

Yes! This! Language learning is a (very very very long) marathon, not any sort of sprint, and so being able to stay consistent doing something consistently, even if it’s not the most micro-efficient way of learning words/kanji, or practicing listening, or reading, is still incredibly valuable. Very easy to accidentally bite off more than you can handle and then get demotivated and not want to do anything!

9 Likes

:house_with_garden: Home Post

:loud_sound: 7月2日
YUYUポッドキャスト #72~74 (41 min)

Listened to some YUYU while cleaning this morning. To this day he keeps being entertaining to me, it’s likely I’ll catch up to his most recent ones at some point which is in the low 200s I think? I’ll explore some new stuff to listen to soon but for now I’m finding his podcast great to get into the habit of regular listening again.

I wonder if ゆる言語学ラジオ got easier to understand for me at this point, I want to try soonish.

9 Likes

:beach_umbrella: Day 2, 7 月 2 日 :sunny:

:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese - The Star Tales
I have to admit to not being able to focus much on the video today. Maybe because I knew the story? Additionally, whenever you read a Märchen, there is a lot of repetition, so my eyes often glaze over and I skip those parts. Might mean that I need to look for material that is completely unfamiliar to me, but then there won’t be the reinforcing element of “I know this story and can extrapolate the meaning of these unknown words”.

10 Likes

Home

・7月2日・

2.43 清陰高校男子バレー部 下巻 ドラマCD「英雄のいちごタルト」(3 parts, total 15 min)

After doing a radio interview post-代表決定戦, Subaru drags Ochi, Yuni, and Chika to a ケーキバイキング, his true aim their current special: the titular 英雄のいちごタルト. Some girls snag the last one ahead of him and he gets dejected, so Yuni goes and talks to the owner or head chef or whoever who’s his relative and gets him a fresh one with 5x the strawberries on the side for free. さすが坊ちゃん. He usually doesn’t act it so it’s easy to forget he’s not just some guy, but then he goes and does crap like this. (Also at this point he and Subaru still barely know each other? Subaru’s little more than the captain of their biggest rival school in the prefecture? And Subaru’s already gotten a bunch of other cakes and Yuni thinks it’s too much. And yet. *shakes him* Yuni, why are you like this.)

I’ve listened to this a bunch of times before, or I wouldn’t have understood as much as I did. I think it’s also where I learned バイキング from.

Some vocab of note:

松葉杖 (まつばづえ) [n.] crutch; crutches. It took me absolutely forever to make this one out. The づえ just sounded like ぜ to me, so I ended up having to just search “まつば” and see if anything seemed like it could be it.

11 Likes

(home)

7月1日
I was able to listen to this week’s track of the 4th Flesh&Blood drama CD. …And apparently next week’s as well. I had a long car ride, and I didn’t bother checking the schedule beforehand, and 12 minutes seemed too short for one week… :S As per usual most of it went over my head; this is probably going to be par for course for CD 4 anyway; lots and lots of characters discussing political matters very politely. x.x

7月2日
Aaagh, nothing yet. I was going to listen to something on my long car ride back up, but just felt too mentally drained. x.x There’s still time… I can squeeze something in…

13 Likes

July 2nd!

Another day with less listening than I’d originally planned.
Time just seems to disappear recently. :confused:

I listened to 2 episodes of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners - I’ll try to do something a bit tougher tomorrow…

(Home Post)

10 Likes

:headphones::desert_island: taiyousea’s listening challenge :flamingo::loud_sound:
my study log

July 2nd:
:speaker::sun_behind_rain_cloud: 天気の子『小説』
Prologue Part 1 of 3 (6:21)
Prologue Part 2 of 3 (5:49)

Reevaluated my strategy and decided to re-do part one of the prologue while reading along with the audiobook. I realized that, even though I was understanding the audio the same, I actually learned quite a few new kanji combinations and pronunciations since the novel itself doesn’t have furigana. It’s also fun to circle things in my book with pencil to look up after the section is finished (i love annotating!)

zoom back to home thread

13 Likes

I’ll try again to make some quick daily posts here. :crossed_fingers:

So, today I played the videogame Lost Judgment! This is a tough one, there’s a decent amount of stopping to check the conversation log and look up some unfamiliar words, because I can’t play this and let too much slip by. Still, overall the actual listening isn’t so bad when they’re saying things I’m familiar with (granted, it all comes subtitled). I managed something like an hour, which was mostly cutscenes, so lots of conversation.

13 Likes