🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Spring 2023 🌼 🌱

15/04/2023 :fairy: Home Post Link

2 episodes of Japanese with Shun today! Really enjoying Shun’s podcasts these days. Saving this weekend for lotsss of rest, so I have nothing interesting to add here hsjhsj

15 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :seedling: 4月15日 :seedling: :cherry_blossom: (Home Post Link)

I’m not gonna count it as my listening listening, but I did watch the first episode of oshi no ko (w eng subs) last night and spent a lot of time pausing and rewinding to look up words and trying to figure out some of the jokes, and the episode is 90 minutes long so that counts for something at least

Listened:

Word(s) of the Day:
措辞(そじ) ー wording; phraseology; diction​
雇用(こよう)ー employment; hire​
酒場(さかば)ー bar, tavern

16 Likes

April 15th!

Another episode of Rilakkuma and Kaoru today.

I also listened to a few “Culture Class” podcasts from JapanesePod101 today that were about various holidays/festivals in Japan but other than introducing some vocab words they were in english so they don’t count as listening practise, even though they were interesting and I did learn a few new words.

(Home Post)

15 Likes

:hot_pepper: April 15

Tough to listen today. Spent most of the day hanging out with friends. Failed at youtube when I got home too. Wrong channel selection, outside interruptions…
So, Sakura Tips podcast. Just two episodes. One on toufu and the other on Japanese tea. Toufu was great. Entertaining and informative. Japanese tea episode I blanked during

15 Likes

watched with subtitles

PEACH BOY - MOMOTARO (JAPANESE) Japanese classical stories | fairy tale - YouTube

14 Likes

I learned the word カビ because i was recommended a mold remover called カビキラー and I did not notice at all until my friend pointed out that it probably was based on the word killer, and speculated that カビ meant mold. And then I never forgot it :joy:

11 Likes

16/04/2023 :fairy: Home Post Link

Watched half of this video for a few minutes and realized that it was wayy above my level lol

and then I moved on to this video where they are talking about what they miss from Japan. It was sweet and fun, and I understood around 70-80% of it, so I’d say that was a win?

15 Likes

Week 2 Recap

(home post)

I had a pretty good week. I got some listening in every day, and hit my time and content goals six out of seven days. Throughout the week, I listened to NHK Radio News and Radio Kishiwada, a handful of Nihongo con Teppei and Japanese with Shun podcasts, and re-listened to five Japanesepod101 lessons that I’d covered a while ago. I also watched Drive My Car (with subtitles).

I’m noticing some improvement. In the beginning, the NHK Radio News segments were all but impossible, but this morning I was able to catch a decent amount. Consistency helps; some news stories are covered several days in a row. Re-listening to the Japanesepod101 lessons was eye-opening. I understand way more than the first time around. Of course, I’m more familiar with the grammar and vocab that’s covered, but it’s also just the listening practice. The dialogues don’t seem nearly as rushed as they did before. It’s good to be able to see some progress.

15 Likes

Apr 16, Sun of Week 3 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

歴史 [17/90] - 平安時代 [1/4].

Places and names

Japan

Korea

こころ Part 両親と私 Ch.1-4.

Then, a YouTube on train driver – 【密着取材】運転士の訓練!横浜の"新路線"開業までの舞台裏『every.特集』 - YouTube

15 Likes

Home Post :hatching_chick:

I was a little tired today so I only watched one video by Shun about his trip to lake Hamana. I had some difficulty concentrating and sometimes the wind was blowing into the mic which didn’t really make it any easier but I think I still managed to understand a decent amount. As always I ignored the japanese subtitles at first and then watched the video again while reading the subs. This way I could catch the stuff that I couldn’t understand the first time.

Hopefully I’ll be able to concentrate better and listen a bit more tomorrow.

14 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :seedling: 4月16日 :seedling: :cherry_blossom: (Home Post Link)

Listened:

• 【N5-N3】Walking with Sayuri Saying - Japanese listening practice ー Trying out japanese with shun, since I’ve seen a few people talk about this channel too. I enjoyed their walk a lot, conversations i could mostly follow with a few new words, but a lot of the rarer words he put up with a gloss on screen which was really convenient. I’d be moving my hand to pause to go look up a word and then it would just pop up on screen :laughing:

Word(s) of the Day:
気分転換 (じぶんてんかん)ー change of pace; change of mood; (mental) break (e.g. going for a walk); refreshment​
ママチャリ ー ladies’ bicycle (esp. one with a front basket); granny bike​( Colloq)
ぜひ ー certainly; without fail​ (feel like i’ve run into this word, but not in the kind of almost back-channeling/filler context sayuri was using it here, almost like a “yeah, definitely!”)

14 Likes

April 16th!

Today I watched Suzume. I was watching it with English subtitles, and I’ve generally not been counting stuff that I’m watching with english subs for this challenge because I’m trying to push myself but I’m counting that since it was over 2 hours long. :grin:

It’s quite fun watching stuff with english subs and seeing the subtle differences in what I’m hearing and what its been translated into english as for the subtitle.

(Home Post)

15 Likes

Not a great listening week for me last week. I started out listening to some things from the Tobira textbook on Monday, but after that things at work got pretty hectic. I mostly listened to old comforting stuff I’ve watched before. It’s strange to notice that even though I’ve watched something many times, I still miss words. I often try to repeat what was said in my head to see if I actually heard it, or just remember what was happening because I’ve seen it before.

But, I was able to follow all of the instructions in my taiko practice, and I had a decent conversation with some of the members afterwards, where I could also somewhat tell what they were talking about with each other, as well as the questions they were asking me. I normally don’t count random conversations I have with people unless they’re long, but this one counts I think.

Also, I don’t remember where I saw the sesame street YouTube channel recommended, if it was this thread or somewhere else, but I love it. It’s really easy to click on the videos when they pop up in my recommendations and they’re cute and fun. So thank you, forums, for adding that to my life.

15 Likes

:hot_pepper: April 16

Giving myself a bit of a break today. Watched two Comprehensible Japanese videos. Both Beginner level. Snow White and Rainy Day
It was nice, hearing and understanding everything easily.

14 Likes

watched inch boy

INCH BOY (JAPANESE) Japanese classical stories | fairy tale - YouTube

13 Likes

Apr 17, Mon of Week 4 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

歴史 [18-20/90] - 平安時代 [2-4/4] + audiobook.jp counterpart

Places and names

こころ (夏目漱石) : (中) 両親と私 Ch.5-8.

13 Likes

Home Post :hatching_chick:

I tried watching a video by Speak Japanese Naturally about Yoyogi park. It went okay I guess. Some parts were quite easy to understand while others were a little difficult. I like her calming voice and the relaxing atmosphere. Tbh this was the third video I tried to watch. I quit the first two after a few minutes each because they were too difficult for me and I couldn’t really understand much. Maybe this was because she was talking about topics that I’m kinda unfamiliar with in Japanese. I might try again later.

I also did some podcast listening: Nihongo con Teppei episodes 140-144 and Japanese with Shun episodes 4 and 5. This went really well and I didn’t have any problems.

12 Likes

17/04/2023 :fairy: Home Post Link

Not sure if this counts, but I watched the first 15 to 20 mins of “Mr. Hiiragi’s Homeroom (ep 2)” without English subs. I understood….little of it? It was definitely too ambitious but I wanted to try anyway.

I randomly started watching this show. It’s okay so far, and also quite predictable. But I’m having fun anyways.

I really want to re-watch “My Love Mix-Up” again, but this time in Japanese. I think it’ll take some time for me to reach that level, but it’s part of the listening goal for this year!

13 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 15 - 16, 4 月 15 - 16 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

:arrow_right: Random youtube gaming videos.

:cherry_blossom: Day 17, 4 月 17 日 :herb:

:deciduous_tree: Tobira - 読み物 p. 28-31

Re-listened to it without reading along. Definitely a huge step up, but trying to follow along while trying to fit the summary of what you remember in your head to what is said is really good practice.

13 Likes

April 13-17 :european_castle: :heart_on_fire: :headphones:

I haven’t been updating because I didn’t have much to say, but I’ve been listening to my audiobooks (while reading along) for at least 30 minutes every day, often an hour or more. I’m not sure I’m doing this challenge right though. :sweat_smile: I’ve definitely seen my reading speed increase to keep up with the audio, but I’m not sure my listening comprehension is affected at all. I can only hope. :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes