🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

Did about an hour and a half of Shield Hero’s audiobook. I hate the audio quality, and they have like no compression for when Raphtalia screams or makes… other noises… So people can hear outside my headphones and are probably like “The fuck is this 外人 listening to?” T-T
I am almost done with volume one so I won’t suffer the embarrassment for much longer.

10 Likes

November 22 :film_strip: :chart_with_upwards_trend:

One episode of Dorohedoro today. There were zombies in this one, and this felt like the most familiar, understandable thing of the whole anime so far, just to give you an idea of how bizarre it is. Still, I love the detailed dystopian setting, and I somehow feel for the characters, even in all their weirdness.

And some demo pitch trainer. The same words get repeated again and again, yet I still don’t get some of them right.

10 Likes

England played in the world cup yesterday and my son felt too sick to go to school. A curious coincidence I thought at the time, but then I came down with the lurgy myself and couldn’t concentrate on anything. I struggled through one solitary N5 audio just to keep the streak going.

12 Likes

Main post

Just like with reading, forgot to add yesterday’s record.
On November 21st I’ve listened to:

• November 21st’s NHK Easy News.
10 Likes

Nov 22, Tue of Week 9 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Yesterday, I watched an episode of Pokemon (1997) – Caterpie showtime. Move names are a little hard to listen.

Today, I listened to an episode of Nihongo SWiTCH, explaining why last episode. Also, an episode of Learn Japanese with Noriko.

Then, I was back to audiobook.jp app, listening to かがみの孤城, November chapter, continuing from where I have read. I still have 2 chapters (months) left in the volume, so that can work as a transcript to help with my understanding, only that it is so long. I expect to learn more how to listen, because I don’t finish a chapter that fast as well. The audiobook also cover 下 volume, which I haven’t bought yet.

I also listened to October chapter (Chapter -1), and I immediately realized the equivalent position to where I read as well, but I indeed find some sentences difficult.

I watched first 6 minutes of 人間椅子 read-aloud just now (from 人間椅子 reading club thread), so I found a nice new Youtube channel.

8 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 53, 22nd of November :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Some more mimicmethod, this time for /#/ or chi.

9 Likes

I caught a cold and didn’t do any listening yesterday. But I’m feeling a bit better today. I’ve watched a video by さいとうなおき on YT.

Home post

9 Likes

Main post

On November 22 I’ve listened to:

• Today’s NHK Easy News.
9 Likes

November 22nd.

I’m really tired again today, and have a headache that I can’t shake off, so I suspect I’m coming down with a cold. Which sucks, but also makes me feel slightly less bad about my inability to comprehend what I was listening to yesterday!

Today I relistened to the episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners that I tried to listen to yesterday. I managed to understand most of it today though it was still harder than usual.
I also listened to another Culture Class: Essential Japanese Vocabulary lesson from JapanesePod101. I already knew all of the words featured in this one as they were very simple.

I also did a little bit of unplanned casual listening practise today, as I watched the Golden Joystick awards and some of the winners gave their acceptance speeches in Japanese. I was mostly just reading the english subtitles, but it was fun to catch bits and pieces of what was being said too.

(Home Post)

10 Likes

Oh no, two of you have colds! Hope you get better soon @lucylavelle and @gremlin666 !
edit: actually I missed a few! several of you have colds :scream: tis the season for it, but still sucks. I’m still getting over mine so you have my sympathies!

I listened to some more random crime youtube. Today was one about profiling, in which I realized a show I watched once basically took a real life case whole and threw it in as a plot arch and I didn’t notice :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

November 23 :film_strip:

Episodes 4 and 5 of Dorohedoro today. It’s strangely complelling.

Yet I still can’t properly describe it.

Let me try: It’s a lavishly illustrated dystopia divided into two worlds, the Hole, and …not the Hole? There’s violence and gore and dead bodies aplenty, but there’s also mouth-watering food depictions in each episode - often at the same time. The main character’s head is that of a lizard, and the women are as far from girly as you can go. There are several sympathetic characters on both sides, even though each one of them casually kills about a dozen people each episode. (There’s also magic and mushrooms, if that helps.) The rules of this world, or what on earth is going on, is still not even remotely clear to me, and probably never will be. Yet I’m at the edge of my seat watching the bizarre goings on. Oh yes, and it has several lighthearted and humorous moments in between the killings and the body parts and the dystopian city going to seed in the background. What am I watching and why do I like it?

10 Likes

I see you’re back to the standard topic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Love this anime. Felt exactly the same when it was recommended to me, ‘there’s a guy who’s head what? what? just what?’ After watching so much stuff where you know where the story line is going, it’s a real treat to think, ‘I have no idea what’s going on, what’s going to happen…’
Think there was just the one season on netflix when I saw it - though it is based on a manga.

Felt crappy yesterday but managed to listen to Teppi a little bit. Spotify skipped me back 20 episodes or so for some unknown reason, but that suits me as relistening is useful. Also picking up on certain words he uses a lot for conversation flow なので、だけど and using them with in my (crappy) conversational Japanese. Dropped in a cheeky little 基本的には and a couple of naughty 是非是非’s this morning, won’t lie, I feel like Japanese conversational champion of the world for a second afterwards - still can’t conjugate verbs in real time so any cuedos gained is quickly lost as I stumble over して…み…な…ければ…いけません

After listening to Teppi, N5 drills seem ridiculously s-l-o-w , so even the more frustrating when I don’t comprehend them fully. だけど I read my N5 listening comp book and it said the aim of one of the もんだい on the test is to throw Japanese at you that your level won’t comprehend most of, and so see if you can extract the important information. @Twelvewishes they normally come near the start of the test, so that feeling of ‘ugh I don’t understand most of that’ is by design! Previously I had definitely caught n4/n3 grammar patterns and thought ‘hey! this is N5’ - so that explains why.

9 Likes

It’s flattering that you assume I did these N5 listening exercises out of a genuine effort to understand them. :rofl:

I only did them to put my current efforts into context because I do not want to fall prey to the fallacy where I assume I know enough when in fact I know nothing. So I don’t need to know how they work. I only needed something to keep me from overestimating myself.

9 Likes

:rofl: You know, I never even noticed until you pointed it out! Probably because it’s not even shaped like a hole, and it’s called ホール instead of 穴? But yes, apparently this is my niche now. And I haven’t even started reading my other “horror” book, about a guy who compulsively enters any hole he comes across. :eyes: yes, I know how it sounds

According to Wikipedia there’s only one season overall: 12 episodes and 6 OVAs, of which Netflix has one (whatever an OVA is, I really have no idea)
Yes, based on a manga, completed in 23 volumes. I just checked out the sample, and the art looks basically the same, really nice. It’s a shame the manga is black and white only though, colour really adds a lot to that strange world.

8 Likes

As far as I can remember an OVA is like an extended episode, so might be 30-40mins long as opposed to 20 or so.

It’s either that or bonus material that you usually only find on blu-ray’s to incentize people to buy them…

It’s been a while since I was an avid anime watcher

4 Likes

Small update after a long while, gave a bit more context in the read every day thread.

I’ve been listening to YUYU a fair bit lately, kinda grew on me the format and what he talks about. It’s a pretty comfortable podcast to listen to and the way he talks seems to keep my brain not losing focus or interest. No rambling for the most part, straight to the point and generally well divided sections. The length of the episodes also makes it easy to fit one here and there. I enjoy a lot his 怖い話 and 都市伝説 episodes, he gets so immersed in them. Only listened up to Vol.27 so far but I can see myself catching up eventually until being up to date, which always seems like an almost impossible thing to do when it comes to longerish podcasts.

The bluetooth speaker in the shower has also proven to be very effective :joy: . Definitely getting a bit more listening just from that alone.

10 Likes

Nov 23, Wed of Week 9 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

I watched 日本語の森’s N3 grammar 1-hour summary. For reading and listening purposes, many are primarily just (old) vocabularies for me; but of course, that isn’t always the case.

To me, ~よう is both confusion and elucidating at the same time. I think it is actually called 意志形. I am pretty short of what to call ~ず very specifically (but Notion has comment feature). Perhaps I should check some 国語 clips for natives later. Also, I don’t feel I can differentiate 地震 and 自信 by sound at all.

I am only OK with around 30% to all grammar points, so practically, I would fail the exam; even not accounting for misuse and misconjugation (misjoining).

Enhancer for YouTube™ - Chrome Web Store makes screenshooting pretty streamline, but I need to turn off Ask where to save each file before downloading, and make Youtube Enhancer controls always visible.

I have been to Tsukuba before, but I don’t know much of the outside, only taking a train to Tokyo. That was probably the first study trip to Japan.

My Notion screenshot

Toggle is a big cleaner, and I don’t toggle everything on. It also makes testing easy – just collapse, and recall/make some sentences, thinking of variants and exceptions as well.

Also, grammar by topics, by breaking into Pages in Notion.

Actually, I saw N3-N1 of 1-hour each in my phone’s notification for a while, but have been putting them aside; but today I also see N3 listening comprehension of around 30 minutes.

10 Likes

Thank youu ~
Hope you get better soon as well!

4 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 54, 23rd of November :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Today’s mimicmethod exercise was for /%/ or j. This was especially tricky for me because I’m used to overenunciating it as dsch. Gotta learn to tread softly…

10 Likes