🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

I have relistened to a bunch of things, but I have not yet made enough of a leap in comprehension that it would feel like I progressed any. Which isn’t surprising since I’ve only done listening comprehension for barely over two months and of those only one month of real dedicated time and effort every day.

7 Likes

Yeah it’s really painful at the start isn’t it, especially with all the cool kids watching youtubes and anime. Rest assured you’re not the only one.
EDIT Grammar James, grammar!

5 Likes

:wave: Let me officially remove myself from the “cool kids” club in case there’s any misunderstanding: I may be watching anime and youtube, but that doesn’t mean I understand what I hear. I’m watching Parasyte with English subtitles on (which is very much frowned upon in the learning community, I gather), and I’m very happy whenever I can understand a whole phrase without relying on them. With shorter youtube videos, I just watch and nod along. No one tests my comprehension, and that’s just as well, because it’s rarely over 50%. :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Heh, I think I’m in this picture. Hello, fellow kids

I started listening with reading books alongside their audiobooks, practicing on audio flashcards, and watching beginner friendly youtube content. I still don’t understand everything I hear, but after hundreds of hours of practice (at least 600 hours now, but certainly more as I didn’t track prior to last year) I can follow a decent amount of content.

I never want to be discouraging by posting upper level material, but show that learning Japanese is a long path filled with some really cool things along the way. I’m not posting things I understand with 100% comprehension usually, but those I got 90% of and filled the rest in from context. Or sometimes it’s just deeply interesting content to me, but usually the former.

14 Likes

Sorry for any misunderstanding, it wasn’t meant in any derogatory sense, the complete opposite in fact. I find it both motivating and interesting to read what others are doing. It is great to see the rungs further up the ladder whilst having a little grumble about the feeling I’m still near the floor.

9 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 38, 7th of November :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Episode 5 of あかがみんクラフトclassic. They were decorating with bamboo, so I learned the word for bamboo: (たけ) and because they used it in a pun, high: (たか)

12 Likes

November 7 :film_strip::chart_with_upwards_trend:

I did it! A perfect run! 30/30 in Migaku Pitch Trainer. I’m sure I’ll keep making a ton of mistakes from here on, but it feels good to have achieved this. :smiley:

(It normally takes a little over two minutes instead of nearly five, but I had to get up to do something else for a minute)

Also episode 22 of Parasyte. Two more to go. And then I’ll have to find something else to watch.

13 Likes

November 7th!

Today I listened to an episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners, and also watched an episode of Madoka Magica.
I’m a little tired so I had to rely on the subs even more than usual today, but thats fine. It’s all practise, even on the days where it’s tough.

(Home Post)

12 Likes

Main post

On November the 6th I didn’t listen to anything because I wasn’t feeling well.

On November the 7th I’ve:

• Listened to today’s NHK Easy News.
12 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

November 7th:

A little Satori Reader and two more episodes of Terrace House. One of the housemates (a pro surfer) injured himself and was taken to a hospital. He was okay enough to be sent home, though he had bandages covering a large portion of his face. He said he was going to go back to Japan for a week to get a full physical and have a dentist look at his teeth. I have no idea if this is true or not, but when he said he was going back to Japan for medical attention, I wondered if maybe it was cheaper for them to fly him back to do that then have him receive any additional care in Hawaii (yay American healthcare system :upside_down_face:).

As for @pocketcat’s question regarding the hug:

The commentators had differing opinions. One said it was sweet since Anna had opened up to him about her anxieties, but two others felt like he had an ulterior motive, since Anna is the type of girl he generally is attracted to. Then a fourth commentator kind of put them together, saying he seemed genuinely concerned for Anna, but if there was more to the hug than that, so be it. So, no one necessarily reacted with complete shock at him hugging her in general. Maybe, because it’s a reality show, there’s differing expectations compared to everyday life? Just speculation on my part.

11 Likes

I watched this video and was pleasantly surprised by how light the complaints were

I admit my immediate thought was of WWII propaganda and racist old movies…
Then again they may have purposefully chosen light topics to keep their channel away from major negativity. I poked through the comments to see if there was anything brought up there, but nothing I skimmed seemed too intense. People talking about stereotypes they’d been asked about by people abroad (“Do you eat sushi every day?”) and someone commenting that Japanese cities probably seem blue because street lights abroad give off an orangish glow (for now, but that’s another topic).

Thank you for following up on this! That’s interesting - I also suspect that real life would have different rules to play by. An observed hug vs a private one. Reality shows are forever ruined by the exhibitionism of their very nature :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I knew a Japanese man who lived in America and it was absolutely cheaper for him to fly back to Japan to get his dental work done, and that was with the insurance that we both had through work. So that seems plausible to me.

7 Likes

Did 45mins of JLPT N5 listening drills with my new book/mp3
Took Teppi with me and my daughter when dropping her off for her dreaded chemistry tutoring. As we were a whole 2 minutes early, she didn’t want to go in yet & sat in the car with me and I translated for her… I mean he was saying really basic stuff like Japan is hot in the summer but she was still impressed with me. Not sure if that makes me :sunglasses: or :nerd_face:

12 Likes

Nov 8, Tue of Week 7 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Finished Yurucamp S2. There are 13 episodes. Watched one today, and two yesterday.

I might be a little annoyed by girls acting, but I quite like the places and ending songs.

There are several notifications on my smartphone today. Some from Youtube, others from Podbean. I watched 日本語の森 on Youtube first, in particular 【もりお先生】 第2課 「おじぎ」は何ですか? - YouTube. Another one I watched is a textbook ad from 日本語の森.

10 Likes

I may be biased, but my vote’s for :sunglasses:.

8 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 39, 8th of November :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Watched the second episode of Mononoke, because I just wanted to watch something pretty. No idea what people were saying, but the symbolism made the story pretty clear.

Btw tiny hand

13 Likes

November 8 :film_strip::chart_with_upwards_trend:

Reached level 40 in Migaku, and of course I haven’t had another perfect run yet. It’s fine. My subscription runs out in about a week. I’m not using any other Mikagu features, but I’m enjoying the trainer. No idea whether it’s worth renewing. Probably not? I’ll decide when the time comes.

And episode 23 of Parasyte. I didn’t expect so many ecological concerns in a horror anime about alien parasites, but then again it makes sense. We all know humans are the real monsters. Last episode tomorrow.

11 Likes

November 8th.

I watched the final episode of Madoka Magica today.
I originally picked it out as something that I probably wouldn’t be super interested in the storyline of and would therefore be ok to watch in a very start-stop way for the sake of learning, without feeling like I’d spoiled my enjoyment of it.
But I actually ended up really enjoying it. I should have guessed that I would really since my favourite anime in my teen years were all very typical shoujo and quite heavy on magical girls - so that sort of thing makes me feel really nostalgic now.

I need to decide what to watch next now though…

(Home Post)

12 Likes

I was in a mood today where everything I tried to watch was terrible. I ended up watching the 4th episode of some low budget, over dramatic romance. Good times, don’t regret it. No idea if I’ll ever watch it again.

10 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

November 8th:

A bit of Satori Reader and an episode of Terrace House. Lauren, arguably my favorite cast member, left the show. I think she’s my favorite because there’s an awkwardness about her and I can tell she’s at least somewhat nervous about her Japanese speaking skills, which is just incredibly relatable. I’ll be interested in seeing if this has an effect on my enjoyment of the show.

I know you were interested in watching horror-related content. Have you tried Cabinet of Curiosities on Netflix? I believe it has a Japanese dub.

11 Likes