🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 23rd:

Started on my translation homework for the week. This time it’s subtitle work, which means it also doubled as listening practice. :grin: The clip is an interview between Makoto Fujimura (an artist) and Kunio Nakamura, who practices the art of kintsugi (金継ぎ). It’s when a broken item (usually some kind of dishware) is repaired with gold. The repair work itself becomes a part of the item’s design. It’s pretty cool, and I love both the appreciation for items that are still perfectly usable and the sustainability that this art form inevitably promotes.

12 Likes

Pimsleurs 2 lessons 9(replay) and 10 today.

I’d really like to try this. I got a kit and everything. At this point, I’ve probably procrastinated that project for a year :slightly_frowning_face: It isn’t a fast process and requires lots of downtime between steps. Is what I keep telling myself before I ever start. Wasn’t my idea to get the kit though. My potter neighbor gifted it to me after I mentioned it once.

11 Likes

October 24 :film_strip::chart_with_upwards_trend:

Watched the first episode of Parasyte on Crunchyroll. I left the subtitles on, but for the most part, I felt it was fairly understandable. Good horror fun so far, I may continue, not sure.

I also did some more Migaku, and reached level 20. Each training session is 30 cards, and I usually make 3-5 mistakes per session. Which is strange to me. Surely, you either can hear pitch accent or you don’t - why usually hear it but sometimes not? It’s also always the same voice, so I wonder how I’d fare with a different speaker.

11 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 15 to 23, 15th to 23rd of October :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

That didn’t go so well. Getting sick really put a stop to my routine, and then came the holiday where we stayed in an internet free zone. All I had to listen to was my Genki I Listening exercises, but who wants to do textbook work when they can relax in the sauna instead?

Well, I did some on the 19th, but now I have to get back into it properly.

13 Likes

Did the first mondai of JEES N5 2 choukai. Went over a few times it, shadowed it. Six weeks until the test. I hope the practice is helping. It must be helping right.

11 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 24, 24th of October :maple_leaf:

Watched the first episode of あかがみんクラフトClassic today. Definitely above my ability, but I needed something fun to motivate myself again.

12 Likes

Main post

On October the 24th I’ve listened to:

• Today’s NHK Easy News
12 Likes

October 24th!

Today I listened to Episode 75 of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners, and also another 800 Core Words video.

(Home Post)

12 Likes

I just want to mention that I found out today that Silent is airing on Viki - I’d been watching it without subs through other means. But if anyone is interested and not sure their listening comprehension is up to it, it looks like the subtitlers have been hard at work and there are English subs available!

10 Likes

Oct 24, Mon of Week 5 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

I recently do listening-to-writing flashcards, as well as monologue recording; and I also noticed quite something about pitch accent – I often guessed wrong; but then, I fear as much as about pitch accent phrasing rules, as well compound words being different from simple words. (Context sentences also have audio that feels different from vocabulary audio.)

I looked for Anki Addons with Pitch Accent graphs for phrases, looking like OJAD, but I find none satisfying. I think I saw Github repo or some code for generating something like this a while ago (with AI). Otherwise, brute force copy-paste from OJAD is yet another option. Not like the graphs would be 100% accurate either.

Nonetheless, I have no qualm repeating aloud vocabulary and context sentence audios. That’s probably the most natural and safest way to do (although less applicable to less frequently heard phrases).

Otherwise, I watched 2 episodes of HUNTER x HUNTER with generated sub, the latter one with manual re-timing. (From trying out whisper.cpp, but I think the most important point is not having long untranscribed segements.) I also watched an old episode of Death Note (where I watched with no sub before, but downloaded JP sub later.)

11 Likes

I’ve been back on the Nihongo con Teppei listening for the 3rd time so I get in about an hour or an hour and a half of this 4 or 5 days a week for the past 2 weeks. Of course, being in Japan I sometimes try to tune in to people around me and understand whats happening or when they inevitably talk to me I try to understand (although most times I don’t understand, on few occasions I catch the gist of it and I think understanding the gist as a newly upper beginner is important).

13 Likes

This challenge is a strange one for me to update as I live in Japan and its almost impossible for me not to listen. But I got caught up on my current series, gonna watch Spy Family tonight, and Persona 5 is kind of listening practice but I feel I am reading it more than I am listening. Which is fine, but I think from here on out I am gonna just update my calendar and maybe post changes in routines. Since I am too busy to watch JoJo, I am concerned I won’t be able to finish my challenge. I did finish part 2, so I can’t say it was totally a lost cause. Plus who knows. I may just binge part 3 randomly in November. Thanks for coming to my TEDTalk.

13 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 24th:

Rewatched the video clip about kintsugi and listened to Satori Reader today. I wanted to listen to a short podcast episode, but I woke up later than expected and it threw my schedule off kilter. That’s how it goes sometimes. :person_shrugging:

You should totally go for it! Even if it takes a while, I think it’d be a cool experience (and I’d love the sporadic updates).

11 Likes

October 25 :film_strip::chart_with_upwards_trend:

Second episode of Parasyte and some more pitch trainer. Got my level from 20 to 23 but I was careless and made a few more mistakes than last time. I feel I can mostly hear pitch accent confidently, but I still sometimes lose it to the point of completely inverting the pitch. So strange.

12 Likes

Another mondai section of a JLPT N5 practice book/audio. Intensive listening, shadowing etc.

11 Likes

SuperNative is still not available… Is there anything comparable to this?
I tried pitch trainer for the first time and I don’t think that this is the right thing for me.
Oh, and I watched an episode of Watercolor by Shibasaki. Not that I will ever do some watercolor but he is the Japanese Bob Ross for me :smile:

10 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 25, 25th of October :maple_leaf:

Episode 2 of あかがみんクラフトClassic. I am so so tired from all the food and the swimmimg and the talking, so something where I can turn of my brain was equired again. And also I love Minecraft.

They were talking about a ship they found, and I had just learned that word yesterday from one of DrDru’s stories! No matter how small, progress is there. (:

10 Likes

October 25th!

Just a tiny bit of listening today - one episode of Nihongo con Teppei for beginners.

(Home Post)

10 Likes

Main post

On October the 25th I’ve listened to:

• Today’s NHK Easy News
10 Likes

Burning through my ever growing list of ‘watch later’ on youtube:
History of Japanese Surnames - I probably only caught 80% of this
An explanation of NSAIDs - I usually do ok with this channel but apparently drug mechanism explanations are beyond my active vocab reach right now :melting_face:
This raunchy interview (R rated but exclusively dialogue)
and some marriage seeking advice.

I only finished the last names and the raunchy interview, everything else I got bored midway through. One of those days. At least my headache meds worked and a migraine was stopped in its tracks :pray:

Also @omk3 I also feel like I can only hear the pitch correctly maybe 60-70% of the time and that’s after I once tried for something like 2 months to practice daily. It doesn’t seem to impact my ability to understand things, but it’s probably a useful skill for people who plan to communicate more via talking.

10 Likes