🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

Did the Listening exercises for Lesson 10 and Lesson Text 1 of Lesson 11 of “Try! N3”.

11 Likes

My powers of avoidance were very strong yesterday. That coupled with a noisy household meant I only manged a few minutes at the end of the day.
Re-listened to the Genki II dialogues from the previous day and then added a new 1 minute one.
Future me will thank current me for the hard work but its so painful and depressing right now :face_vomiting:

13 Likes

October 13 :headphones: :books:

I listened to this reading of 雪女 multiple times. The first time I was trying to understand as much as possible and follow along with the subtitles. My concentration didn’t last long though, so I just put it on repeat a few times and listened passively while doing something else. I understood some, but certainly couldn’t tell you in any detail what was going on. I may read the text at some point and then try listening again.

12 Likes

Didn’t post yesterday but I relistened to more of 仮面病棟. I encourage anyone looking for an audiobook to at least try a sample of it, it’s a pretty easy listen excluding a few points where they dive into medical words, but if anyone is interested I can give you a cheat sheet of the big ones that come up :slight_smile:

Today…I feel like crap. I got my fall covid booster and per usual I’m feeling the side effects. I’m kind of mindlessly listening to youtube videos as I called off work due to fever and not being able to focus. I watched a couple random things but so far this was the most interesting one:

Basically it’s about a woman who was in a cult from 10 - 35 and when she got out she made a manga about it. You can see that here: https://bookwalker.jp/series/161090/
I decided to buy it, but don’t know if I will read it soon. The video had a scattering of words I didn’t know but I’m not in the mood to look things up so just rolled with it.

12 Likes

Lots of listening today yesterday. Fell asleep typing this draft.

Several Nihongo con Teppei.
Re-listened to Pimsleurs Lvl 2 lessons 3 and 4, and listened to lesson 5.

Watched the youkai videos that omk3 posted. Shiritori always draws me in.

13 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 13, 13th of October :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Some more Minecraft videos! Just because my listening comprehension is low, doesn’t mean I don’t benefit from it. I keep hearing people shout in indistinct Japanese in my head now, so I say I’m doing more listening than ever before. :laughing:

15 Likes

Main post

On October the 13th I’ve listened to

• Today’s NHK Easy News
  • Nihongo Con Teppei for beginners episodes 622 – 626

P. S. The next post turned out to be the reply to previous one, here it is:

13 Likes

Listened to the first part of はてしない物語 Chapter 1 today. As expected, at first I did not get much as we jumped right into the world-building part, and funny incomprehensible words flew left and right past my ears. But after 5 minutes or so I started over, and then it became much clearer and I could continue to the end of the audio file (which was ~24min iirc). It also helped that I slowly started to remember bits and pieces of the story.

What happened so far: We listen in on a meeting of interesting beings of the world (a mountain, a stone-eater, a will-o-the-wisp, a dwarf and some others I did not properly catch) and they all are travelling somewhere because they are fleeing from a strange phenomenon: Their world disappears. It started small but keeps growing and growing, and everything that gets caught in this void disappears. Even a leg. (I wonder if it comes back when pulled out again, though… I don’t think they discussed such details.)
A dwarf (I think) was asked to describe that void and after having trouble finding good words, he was asked whether it was like a hole. But he said that a hole is something after all, but this phenomenon is truly nothing at all. (I thought that was a pretty smart description.)

13 Likes

I’ve been listening to NHK TV Japan every night. It is interesting to note that my vocabulary is increasing with the Japanese subtitles. I am noticing all kinds of things in the subtitles that I hadn’t learned yet. I am constantly amazed at how many known words I am catching in the listening part of the programs, as well as grammar items. But mostly my reading is increasing with the subtitles. I try to read the subtitles and then listen for the spoken part to see how correct I am. Good motivation and good practice!

16 Likes

October 13th!

Another tiny listening day today. Just one episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners so far - though possibly I’ll end up listening to something else later while I’m writing out my diary.

(Home Post)

13 Likes

Didn’t do much yesterday, just rewatched Chainsaw man and did Minna No Nihongo listening exercises. I want to watch Bleach and JoJo, but I haven’t had the will power to do so the last couple days. I will watch today though.

13 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 13th:

Listened to YUYUの日本語 today. The episode was about soba and its history. Pretty interesting; it was kind of like the Kanto area’s answer to うどん, which was first made in the Kansai region.

Bookmarked the manga. I’ll have to give this a watch tomorrow. I’m fascinated by people who’ve gone through cult deprogramming; it’s always interesting to hear what their breaking point is for leaving.

13 Likes

Oct 14, Fri of Week 3 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

While I stil watch HUNTER x HUNTER (1999) (with generated sub) after Ep.62 everyday (now at Ep.66), I am still pretty concerned about how much I understand, rather than got hinted.

Sentence audio in Anki is rather from a different angle. I am not sure about Core 2K with sentence audio, but the Yomichan deck comes from either anime in ImmersionKit or anime audio I chopped myself, so I can confirm whether I really understand the sentence. Also, for some sentence audios, I forgot to put in the Japanese text (unintentional, because I can’t foresee I would use it this way).

Since it is a handwriting deck, its value drops when Kana-only vocabularies are quizzed – I would have to grade myself whether I know the vocabulary, otherwise I have to write the definition in Japanese, as I want to avoid distinctly writing English.

Another major kind of quiz is lost for this deck – Rendaku, because Kana changes might be hidden by Kanji, but that’s probably least of the worries. (There are also other non-濁点 sounds I can’t differentiate well.)

I started playing songs from the music score book I bought another day in my dorm. It has been like a year or so since I touched the electronic keyboard in my dorm; but my house has a piano which I also play from time to time (last week too). Piano has a superior sound that makes me not want to play keyboard. I also have a guitar, but it is harder to get started with the tune. (While the guitar also sounds great.) I might have to rewrite the scores in an application to simplify and transpose.

10 Likes

Quite a bit of listening yesterday.
Did the TRY N5 listening practice exam. 50% not as bad as I thought but there were a lot of questions where I thought ‘I have literally no clue what they are talking about’ - always seems to be the ones with teachers talking to students funnily enough.
Then I relistened with the text to the first section of five. Will do more of that today.

13 Likes

October 14 :arrow_forward:

In search of (not too) scary stories, I happened upon this Japanese Ammo with Misa read aloud of 二口女. Not scary in the least, and very simply told, but I still had to pause and look at the text several times, because the moment I miss a word I lose time trying to make sense of it instead of continuing listening. Turns out I didn’t need to pause, because she reads the story twice, once at “normal” speed (still very learner-friendly) and once excruciatingly slowly.

Edit: Also completed the first (and only free) lesson from here: https://pitch-demo.migaku.io/, a pitch trainer recommended by Tofugu. I feel exhausted. I’m really so bad at listening it’s not even funny. :sweat:

13 Likes

Where do you listen to NHK TV Japan? On the TV in Japan? Or are you somewhere else?

I’m trying to figure out if I can stream it.

4 Likes

Oh, you’ll probably want the second video in the series then (which I haven’t watched yet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6lmsyb7Tik
Since it’s specifically about how and why she left judging from the title

The first video was more about a very general overview of the cult, how her mom got into it, her family’s reactions, and so on.

8 Likes

6 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 14, 14th of October :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Today I watched an episode of Comprehensible Japanese. It was about the weather and I really liked how she went through it. She not only explained what the weather is called, but also constructed basic sentences and questions. I think I’ll have to go through it again later and maybe do a bit more shadowing and also pay attention to pitch.

12 Likes

Oct 14, Fri of Week 3 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Today (after the first post), I listened to 3.5 episodes of Nihongo SWiTCH on Podbean. I can understand well by listening (around 70%, I think), but the transcript definitely helps (also, the Kanji part).

There are two episodes every month, and the next one would be Oct 18, Tue, I think.

10 Likes