🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

Summary Post

October 12th
What did I listen to?: A Series of Unfortunate Events Ep 5
How much time did I spend listening?: At least 23 min (finished the episode), plus rewatched a little of the first part of the episode

Today seems to have been a good comprehension day lol, I feel like it’s so variable how much I understand and I can’t figure out if it’s a function of the material or a function of me xD

Anyway, I can’t believe this didn’t occur to me yesterday - this is the part where they end up with the guardian who’s a stickler for grammar. Maybe her correcting their grammar will help me with my grammar :rofl: This is fun to break down (and feels much more possible than the whole subtitles on subtitles on subtitles scene :joy:)

Let's go!

The first one I noticed today:
If I remember right, in the English version, Klaus says, “That’s Count Olaf!,” and Josephine corrects him by saying it should be “He’s Count Olaf.” So the Japanese version seems to be a pretty direct translation of that, because we get
これはオラフ伯爵 → かれはオラフ伯爵

The next one is really interesting. Count Olaf (posing as a sea captain) gives Josephine his business card. In English, the joke is:
Every boat has it’s own sail → Every boat has its own sail
An apostrophe joke! Undoubtedly something that doesn’t come up in the Japanese language xD

In the Japanese translation, the same joke:
どのヨットもそれは帆つき → どのヨットもそれぞれは帆つき
She basically corrects him by saying the usage of それは is strange/unnatural. (I think, I had to watch it back like 20 times and I’m still not sure I totally caught all of what was said in the dub. There’s also an interesting deviation between the subtitles and the spoken words here. The subtitles say it’s a common mistake [I know that’s what she says in the English version, so I’m assuming that’s why] but the dub seems to just focus on the fact that it doesn’t sound natural. I wonder if it’s actually not that common a mistake and that’s why the dub changed it :joy:)

10 Likes