🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

October 10 :arrow_forward:

Three episodes of あたしンち today. They’re short, and slice of life, so I thought they might be good listening practice. I don’t understand enough to get why the mother is supposed to be so embarrassing, but okay. You have a choice between English subtitles, no subtitles, or auto-generated Japanese subtitles. It was a perverse relief to see that, while I didn’t understand all that much, I still understood more than the robot generating the subtitles - many of them really were way off. :joy:

12 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 10, 10 of October :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Did some exercises on SuperNative. Still not feeling well so I’m glad I had something that doesn’t take up too much time.

12 Likes

Main post

On October the 10th I’ve, unfortunately, listened to nothing as I’ve been busy wiht other things – and now I’m just too sleepy… :frowning_with_open_mouth:

Wait, that’s not true! I have actually listened to this

earlier today! So, I did have some listening! Phew!
Thanks to @omk3 さん for sharing that video!

12 Likes

I have mostly been listening to things which are a notch or so too difficult for me to listen to comfortably, not because I’m trying to challenge myself and more because I haven’t quite found anything at the difficulty level I’d prefer. Podcast-wise I’ve been trying “文化系トークラジオ Life”, which is a late night radio talk show cut into episode-size pieces. I’ve been working through the 自己管理のいま~“わたし”が数値化する中で episodes: interesting topic but I find I lose concentration and then I’ve blanked on what they’re saying…

Similarly tricky but at shorter length was a 10 minute piece on youtube by somebody who collects the paper wrappers from ekiben (which JR East have put up as part of the celebrations of the 150th anniversary of the first railway in Japan, which is on the 14th October). A little slice of social history, from the first 19th century ekiben through wartime ones with propaganda slogans to the post-war rationed ones and then the modern day.

12 Likes

October 10th!

Just a little bit of listening today - Episode 66 of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners.
It was about the Japanese school system and was quite easy to understand.

(Home Post)

11 Likes

Summary Post

October 10th
What did I listen to?: A Series of Unfortunate Events Ep 4
How much time did I spend listening?: 48 min (? however long the episode was)

Short update today, as I am tired. I felt like I understood more of the conversation this episode though. There are times when I can actually understand the sentences (usually when they’re shorter :joy: or sometimes I understand most of it and a quick glance at the kanji in the subtitles gets me enough to piece it together the rest of the way). But more often there are times when I can catch words in the middle of a stream of sounds, times when I can catch the sounds but not put them into words/meanings in real time, and times when I don’t think I even register all the sounds properly :joy:

If you do, please let us know your findings! You’re probably better equipped to decipher it than me :joy:

:rofl: :rofl: It’s the little victories

10 Likes

I think I may give up on 終電の神様 - I tried listening to the next chapter and immediately got bored again and lost my focus. It’s a different narrator for this chapter even so I’m left thinking that the writing style just isn’t for me. Maybe I’ll revisit it in the future, but as a read-along so I’m forced to look at the words and less likely to zone out.

In the meantime I’ve continued watching episodes of 古畑任三郎 and started relistening to 仮面病棟 while on my walks.

I also make it at home from time to time - one relatively small package of Szechuan peppers lasts awhile! And I’m lucky to live near Asian grocers, even if Szechuan food sadly seems unpopular in my current area, so the rest is easy enough to find. But @softlyraining maybe if you don’t live near any Asian grocers you could buy the ingredients online? Shouldn’t be too expensive, and certainly cheaper than taking a special trip!

10 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 10th:

@pm215’s post about the ekiben wrappers made me curious, so I used that as today’s listening practice. My original plan was to try Supernative like a number of people here, but I kept getting an error message every time I tried to sign up on the site, so…

The designs for the wrappers are quite lovely! I think I’ve only ever bought one ekiben, but I don’t recall it coming with something fancy like the papers in the video. I can be pretty frugal, though, so it wouldn’t surprise me if I’d simply bought as cheap a bento as possible. :laughing: In terms of comprehension, I had some issues in the beginning, but I was doing okay. Then my partner came in and started getting ready for bed, and my concentration went right out the window. :weary: When I listen to things in the morning or for my schoolwork, I find I’m more zoned in and able to understand. Still, being that focused is draining, and I’d love it if my passive understanding was similar to how it is in English (though I certainly find myself missing things when I passively listen to English-language content, too). Guess that’s why I’m participating in this challenge. :slightly_smiling_face:

That probably would be less expensive, though I can’t say my home cooking would compare. :laughing: Thinking about it, of course I could’ve just made it for myself. I never really considered it, probably because dinner is my “big effort” meal and my partner doesn’t have the same love for mapo tofu that I do. :slightly_frowning_face: Still, I can treat myself every once in a while, right? New small goal: make mapo tofu at least once during this listening challenge. :grin:

11 Likes

Week one of this new anime season coming to a close with the premiere of Chainsaw man and I WAS FUCKING BUSY GETTING CAUGHT UP! OMG there is so much that I am current with releasing new episodes this season that I am just up to my nose in new anime. O.O Saturday Morning Cartoons? More like Saturday Cartoon Marathons! X.X

7 Likes

Thirty minutes of Japanese TV today. Mostly infomercials.

Watched Shokugeki no Soma season 3 episode 2. This episode was the reason I originally sought out mapo tofu :slight_smile:

12 Likes

October 11 :headphones: :books:

I listened, then read, then listened while reading along, then listened again to むかし夕日の公園で、a short story by 乙一、from the Read Real Japanese Fiction collection. At least my reading speed seems to have increased, because I could read along while listening at normal speed no problem, but maybe it’s only because the story was relatively simple. Listening after reading was only marginally more comprehensible than listening before reading. I get a lot of words, even phrases, but I just can’t (yet?) connect them in real time.

11 Likes

Fun fact, this was the first anime that my 12 year old daughter and I chose to watch together. Oo a fun non-violent anime about cooking…

Yeah, it’s ecchi :man_facepalming:

10 Likes

Joining late as I really need to improve my listening comprehension if I’m to get ANY marks in my N5 JLPT listening section.

Oct
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Nov
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Dec
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
12 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 11, 11th of October :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Less anxiety means I can enjoy doing stuff again! …at least a little bit.
Nihongo con Teppei is really good for that, he’s so cheerful that even when I don’t understand 80% of what he says I still feel better about myself. I’m really looking forward to re-listening to all these episodes when my listening comprehension is better.

12 Likes

October 11th!

Today I listened to an episode of Nihongo con Teppei, and also an 800 Core Words video from JapanesePod101.
I was hoping to watch some anime tonight too, but its gotten kind of late already so I’m not sure I’ll be able to after all. Perhaps tomorrow :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

11 Likes

10月11日
3 videos from a 麻雀マージャン (Mahjong) playlist.

I’ve wanted to learn Japanese mahjong for a while since I saw it in FFXIV and piqued my interest. I learnt the basics back then but I never continued learning nor practising what I learnt, so one can say that I never really learnt anything and forgot after a while. Lately I’ve been interested in learning a bit again, and out of boredom and curiosity today I looked it up on YouTube to see if I could mix in some listening. I found an interesting Japanese mahjong channel with a playlist for beginners and I liked it, ended up watching three videos.

I’ll link it for the curious, if any. It’s probably also a lot easier when you already know a fair bit of what he explains, but I like how he explains it regardless:

I’m sure this will come in handy for when I play the Yakuza games, eventually :smiling_face: .

12 Likes

Mahjong is awesome! :mahjong:

I’ve been meaning to post at least a bit in this thread (I also meant to do the same with the write each day thread but that… didn’t happen). Not daily but at least some listening this month, so I’ll use this vid as a reason to listen to some Japanese and finally post here. I’ve been watching anime, gaming and other things in Japanese but not really listening to anything “actively”.

He talks so fast! :sweat_smile:
Even though I know how to play, it’s pretty hard to keep up with him. I should really get into the daily habit of listening again. Thanks for sharing!

Very much so! I’m glad I knew how to play before because the AI can be a right jammy thing :laughing:
well, depends on which Yakuza game, Yakuza 6 seems to have the most jammy AI

11 Likes

Main post

On October the 11th I’ve listened to

• Today’s NHK Easy News
  • Nihongo Con Teppei for beginners episodes 607 – 614
11 Likes

Wooo we lured the shamisen cat in! :tada: :cat2:

I’ll take the opportunity to link this thread that was shared recently, for you and anyone else who might want some podcasts to listen to (pinging @pm215 , perhaps you’ve seen it already but since you were looking for podcasts, here, have a hundred):

About 麻雀 @Zakarius , it does look quite interesting! Learning the yaku seems very intimidating and it’s what has always kept me from joining public games, but hopefully I can learn them gradually. I’ll make sure to practise with bots first but oof :melting_face: daunting. I always have this anxious feeling when joining some competitive online games when I’m learning something new that occasionally I can’t shake off. I remember learning a bit of chess I had the exact same feeling, I don’t know exactly why. Eventually I didn’t catch much interest in chess in particular but I’m sure if I pushed myself into joining games without much thought I would’ve had a better time. I hope I can take mahjong the opposite way, just joining as much as I can and learning as I go while having fun. Those yaku tho.

Also same, I wanted to start outputting at some point as well, but in that regard I think I want to write directly somewhere that is read by Japanese people too. I used to have a Lang-8 account but by now I’m sure the site is close to being dead. HelloTalk seems by the day more like a social media platform rather than a language learning tool, I don’t know, and LangCorrect seems nice but sadly for what I’ve seen it lacks the number of people, with the same couple of natives correcting all the entries. In the end I haven’t decided anything and I keep procrastinating on writing :joy: . None of the options convince me greatly so far :sob: . Another plan was using an FFXIV character on a Japanese server and try to make acquaintances and other interactions, but so far I haven’t carried it out (yet?).

12 Likes

Oct 11, Tue of Week 3 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

I watched HUNTER x HUNTER (1999) with generated sub up to episode 62, which is as far as the watching club wants to go. All I can say is it ends painfully, although I can’t say I hate it.

Screenshot

mpc-be64_BJ8FKdxZwV

I have started doing audio-handwriting quiz on Anki for a few days now. As expected, Core deck is easier to write than Yomichan. Though, Core deck resource somehow has sentence audio (which doesn’t sound so bad), which for Yomichan, I have to search for sentence audio myself (mostly from immersionkit.com).

I believe SubtitleEdit I posted the other day can extract audio segments from video files and YouTube as well.

11 Likes