LipSurf - WaniKani Voice Dictation. Review while you eat, do chores, etc

I have nothing to add here. Just admiring your gravatar.

1 Like

Thank you so much

1 Like

hooray, my offer from before still stands but (shifty eyesā€¦) hmmm, i feel temptation in my bones

1 Like

Thanks for your support! I just released 1.2 which has a lot of improvements! Recognition should be faster, let me know if you notice a difference :slight_smile:

@holyone2 v1.2 now looks at all parts of the transcript, so you donā€™t even need to say ā€œclearā€ or ā€œresetā€, it will look at all the words. Also the new version will highlight the part of the transcript that it uses for the command.

Lastly, as a reminder, wanikani will only be available on pro soon so please upgrade if you havenā€™t yet :slight_smile:

Great upgrade!

Itā€™s a shame to hear WaniKani support will require pro - I canā€™t afford the pro pricing.

Do you think you would consider a reduced price for a limited version which can only be used with WaniKani?

A one off payment option rather than monthly subscription (like the WaniKani ā€œlifetime subscriptionā€ option) would also be much appreciated, as lifetime plan owner I plan to use WaniKani gradually for the next 3-10 years at my own pace and canā€™t pay for e.g. a 10 years subscription ($720!)

Out of curiosity, as I understand it, the non-pro version includes community plugins - but I wonder whether you would accept a community plugin that mimics the WaniKani functionality?

2 Likes

This is a good idea - Iā€™d happily pay for just the WK plugin (well, within reason), but I donā€™t need all the other things the extension offers. Ditto that a one time price would be ideal, but I also understand that subscription models give constant revenue, so.

1 Like

The latest updates have been really good! Iā€™m extremely sad about Wanikani becoming pro, as itā€™s the only thing I use it for and I can barely afford the Wanikani subscription alone, nevermind an add-on. I donā€™t understand why youā€™re making one of the main things people use this plugin for behind a paywall, because it seems more likely to make people just stop using it than to actually payā€¦ But I donā€™t know, maybe itā€™s working for you.

Like others are saying, Iā€™d love a one-time price for just WK. As it is though, Iā€™ll purchase a monthā€™s subscription, but Iā€™ll probably have to stop using it after thatā€¦

Iā€™m glad the upgrade is working well for people so far! The next version will allow for custom homophones by clicking on the live text at any time. Iā€™m really psyched about this feature.

About the WaniKani plugin being a part of pro: the WK and Japanese support actually take a bulk of my time. With this latest update, after getting the platform upgraded and working for all the general plugins, I had to spend 30+ hours just making sure the WaniKani plugin and JP language was compatible with the latest changes, comprehensively tested and working optimally. Thatā€™s just for the slight changes in 1.2! The only way I will continue supporting WK as itā€™s a relatively tiny corner of the web, is if users are showing support, through the pro version. Otherwise it doesnā€™t make sense for me to keep spending so much time maintaining it. I really like WK and I chose it to be a plugin early on, but soon there will be other language learning tools supported and the big things like the google suite of tools.

About making a lifetime version: Iā€™ll think about that. I just donā€™t want to make a huge commitment like maintaining the WK plugin forever without being able to keep that promise. Under promise over deliver :wink:

I wouldnā€™t be able to accept plugins that duplicate functionality, but also, thatā€™s a huge amount of work and maintenance that some poor soul would need to redo.

@LeeDavies87 can you write me miko@lipsurf.com, Iā€™ve been trying to email you via your paypal email but I donā€™t think youā€™ve been getting the emails? I want to credit you double for pro as promised for your donation :slight_smile:

1 Like

@mikob My fault. I havenā€™t been checking that inbox emails, Sorry again. Iā€™ve sent an email.

Thank you for explaining, I can appreciate how much work it must have been and if you keep adding features, will continue to be.

1 Like

I think @lavendera AKA the Bill Gates of WaniKani was offering to buy pro for someone. Seems like a really generous guy :open_mouth:

The newer versions have automated bug reports. Iā€™ve already made some hot fixes (1.3.1, 1.3.2) if you had an issue it might be fixed in those latest versions. You can force updates from chrome://extensions

1 Like

Just published new version 1.4 which has some internal improvements. Iā€™m thinking of adding a command to quickly look up Japanese words in the dictionary. The flow would be like this:

1. Say ā€œJapaneseā€ to switch to Japanese language recognition
  2. Say ā€œč¾žę›ø怌 怍ā€ where 怌 怍 is the word you want to lookup in Japanese

At that point you would see the definition on jisho.org. Does anyone prefer other dictionary sites/lookup tools? If you are interested in another like feature, just let me know.

1 Like

Just released v1.5.0. Thereā€™s new plugins specifically for Japanese language learners. Thereā€™s now English<->Japanese dictionary lookup commands so you can quickly lookup words just using your voice:

*You can say eg. ā€œJapanese dictionary ā€œjet lagā€ā€ to look up the word for ā€œjet lagā€ in Japanese.
*You can switch to Japanese by saying ā€œJapaneseā€ then eg. ā€œč¾žę›ø[恟恓ē„¼ćć€ā€ to look up what 恟恓悄恍 means in English.
*You can say eg. ā€œdictionary ā€œgaslightā€ā€ to lookup words in a regular English dictionary.
*You can say eg. ā€œwikipedia ā€œJohn Perryā€ā€ to lookup the wiki page on John Perry.

Thanks for your support thus far peeps!

2 Likes

Hello. I love this application because I have two broken hands. Would you consider adding support for lessons as well as reviews? Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words. Iā€™ll add support for lessons ASAP!

1 Like

Just published 1.6.0 it should be available within an hour. Now you can do lessons :slight_smile: I also fixed an issue where the live text sometimes would just show a transcript that fuzzy matched the correct answer, rather than the correct answer itself.

Hereā€™s some commands you can use for lessons:

• crocodile crab lessons (goes to lessons)
  • radicals/reading/meaning/examples (goes to the tab)
  • next (next tab)
  • next/previous item
  • skip (I already know this item)
  • need more time (when prompted for quiz)
  • quiz/start (when prompted for quiz)
  • continue/done (when prompted on whether to continue at the end of a lesson quiz)

The full release notes arenā€™t ready yet, but will be here tomorrow morning sometime: Updates | LipSurf

Let me know if you run into any issues, or need anything else!

2 Likes

Thank you. This is amazing. You may have single-handedly saved my kanji practice. No pun intended.

1 Like

There was an issue with 1.6.0 if LipSurf was configured a certain way, so I released 1.6.1 this morning. If you have issues, make sure you force an update to 1.6.1 by going into chrome://extensions and clicking update.

1 Like