@ephemient you’re still getting this error, I’m assuming? I want to fix this for the next release, but I don’t have a chrome book to test this on. Your not out of disk space or anything like that, right? Anything peculiar about your chrome OS machine?
Okay, seriously used it for the first time after I got the upgrade notification. Neat. It’s slower than typing but good practice (probably).
Is “求人”/“help wanted” supposed to be fixed in 0.6.1? It didn’t seem to work for me, still opened the help box. Also for “助手” it opens up the help box when I say “helper” and writes “aid” when I mean “aide”.
It also wouldn’t recognize my “れいぶん” (it thought I said “レイヴン”?) or “じょしゅ” (“うえ” really?). I don’t think I’m pronouncing them that badly…
Yeah those are basically indistinguishable by ear. You can always spell it out.
I want to make the next version slightly lenient to “typos” like this. I’m pretty sure WK does a Levenshtein distance check to allow the slight typos for English meanings… The other question is what’s the max distance that’s still considered correct? Maybe @viet can fill us in?
Yes… these are supposed to be fixed. I’ve tried it on a vocab item with the same class of problem and it works. Anyway, I just resurrected my 求人 kanji so I can try to reproduce – but the reorder script isn’t working for me so it might be a while till I get that review.
PS. You are saying “help wanted” without any long pause after “help” right ? Try saying “help wanted” quickly without pausing after help . Also you wouldn’t have happened to already have had the page open during the update, and not have refreshed it? Lastly, how’s your internet speed – maybe your “help” and “wanted” transcript come in too far apart.
Not necessarily your pronunciation, but as mentioned earlier – the speech recognizer gives me kanji, so I convert into all possible kana readings. What’s likely happening is your just seeing a kanji version of what you said getting converted into other readings.
Not at all man! I really do appreciate all the feedback. Everyone on WK has been so constructive, it’s really helpful. I want this extension to be as enjoyable to use as possible, it’s not a “one and done” type of project. I will keep improving it
Ah! I finally got the review and I found the issue! Argh! It was a simple capitalization difference that made the 0.6.1 update not fix the issue with help/help wanted. Now it should work in v > 0.7. There shouldn’t be any update page with this release FYI. Let me know!
haha can’t believe “times” actually comes up as “x” I see how it makes sense, but it’s just not what most people would expect
I will add the x-> times homophone.
I’m gonna make it so when people add homophones they will be added to a central database and the most common ones will become “official” so all the idiosyncrasies esp. in WaniKani will be handled better by the community effort.