LipSurf - WaniKani Voice Dictation. Review while you eat, do chores, etc

This thing rules. I wanted something like this so bad that I looked in to building something like this myself but I had no idea where to start. I’m going to do reviews whenever I wash dishes from now on.

Maybe I’ll add an Easter egg there… “Did you mean 罰?”

Hello! Great job putting this together, I can already tell this will help with memorization.

For the vocabulary meaning pages, it usually understand what I say in English, but the answers always show up with no spaces. Here’s a screenshot:

Oops, that’s a new bug in 0.5. I’ll get it fixed today.

Fixed that in v0.5.1 – along with other issues that I will put in the edit of the original post.

Fixed this in 0.5.2! I haven’t had any reviews with numbers in them recently, if you happen to get one, I would appreciate if you let me know if it works now :slight_smile:

Hello @mikob

I tried again and Its working better in update.

Is there a way to deal with homophones. I had partners 相手 and i tried saying a bunch of times, but every-time it was showing 開いて.

Just reviewed 20 items partly to learn the English and Japanese lipsurf commands for WaniKani. Lipsurf seems to have an awful time with some short words, for example 飛ぶ, 現に, and 罰. For 飛ぶ I tried every inflection I could think of, but that didn’t help at all. What’s worse, it seems that after mistakenly hearing what I said, Lipsurf just kept on adding my additional attempts to its answer, so when it misheard 飛ぶ as トム, eventually it proposed トムトムトム after I repeated myself three times.

I have a feeling it will get better from here however, and I partly just had bad luck with getting short words.

It does do homophones already. Everything is converted to hiragana to compare answers. The trouble with your particular example is it can’t convert to kana when there’s an inflection (only understands dictionary form)

I will add support for inflected forms in a future version. For now you can just say “正しい” to get around such problems.

It doesn’t matter if you say a bunch of things and they’re added to the end of the live text. The WK plugin will scan the whole transcript looking for the answer. The Google speech recognizer is simply grouping what you say together. If you were to pause for moment, then it would start a new group.

Yeah, the Japanese Google speech recognition is not as mature as the English one. I’m sure they’re actively making it better with all the interest in voice tech these days. While we wait for them to improve it, we can use the lipsurf features to spell words with romaji (the new 英語 command) or the 正しい command.

Hope this helps!

Hi!
I just did a review session that had more kanji items, and it was a bit trickier. I was able to get the 英語 command to work for a few of them, but then it seemed like it might have gotten stuck in English mode because the next item was also a kanji reading, but the live text was showing English. Then I said “日本語” just to see if that would switch back to Japanese mode, and it worked! So I was wondering if that was a real feature or if it was just an accident?

Nice to see the spacing issue fixed :slightly_smiling_face: Though I wonder if that fix led to a different thing - now each word begins with a capital letter. This is just a minor cosmetic issue and doesn’t affect WK’s acceptance of the answer at all, but I thought I’d mention it in case you weren’t aware.

It shouldn’t be staying in English mode after you say “英語”. And yes English/Japanese can be switched between by saying “Japanese/nihongo” and “英語” like you incidentally discovered :slight_smile:

Hmm, when you said “nihongo” did it show as “日本語” or in romaji? Because if it was in Japanese Kanji, then you were in Japanese mode after all. Actually sometimes the Japanese recognizer will show romaji characters, because your english accent is very strong and it thinks your actually trying to speak English, no joke :joy:! Maybe that’s what was happening? For example if you say し sometimes it picks up as “c” in Japanese mode. C’mon Google, just give us hiragana!

Otherwise, if it was def. in English mode… I will do some reviews myself tonight, and see if I get the same issue. Judging by the code it shouldn’t happen :wink:

That’s not an issue, haha. I’m aware of it. I’m now using the answers as provided by WaniKani and those are capitalized that way. This makes it more robust for a couple reasons I won’t get into.

Turned off the Reddit plugin after Lipsurf redirected me to /r/you when I was trying to spell 割れる :smile:

Probably best to turn off plugins you don’t use :slight_smile:

Glad you guys are getting the hang of it!

So… does anyone feel like writing a nice review :grimacing:? sheepishly points at link https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lipsurf/lnnmjmalakahagblkkcnjkoaihlfglon

It showed as 日本語. I have been having a hard time getting it into English mode (it keeps thinking I said 映画), so I guess it maybe it was in Japanese mode at the time anyway.

I sometimes get 映画 too. So I will add that as a default homophone. Don’t worry, 映画 will still work for the review item 映画 because homophones are only processed if there’s no matching command for the original transcript :slight_smile:

I’m gonna add the ability for custom homophones in a future version too. It shouldn’t be that difficult.

In other news… I used the non-debug version of LipSurf in my last review session and encountered some more issues that you guys mentioned here. Namely – the issue where it randomly stops working! So now that I can reproduce this issue, I should be able to make a fix for it.

I like this extension so much that I created the required Google Plus profile in order to rate it five stars. Now if that isn’t a great effort, I don’t know what is.

I left a review, and even donoted. I believe in your project. Keep up the good work.

This is an excellent extension! I enjoy it a lot, and since I read most of the answers aloud anyway, it just makes the process more efficient. I’ve had very little trouble; the only character thusfar that it struggled with was 字, because even though it was in Japanese mode, it thought I was saying the English letter “g”. I tried changing my tone and pronunciation slightly but it just wouldn’t accept. Otherwise though, no problems.

A small suggestion would be to allow either “next” or 次 regardless of language, maybe as an option that defaults to off. Personally, I get more confused by having to change an instinctive response than I would if I could just use one consistently.

Thank you Helix!!!

Thank you for your generosity, Lee Davies! You will be credited double towards the pro version as promised!

I have had this with し-c myself. I will add these single letter english homophones in the next version.

There’s a small delay when switching languages that I wanted to avoid between answering and going to the next kanji. I highly recommend you install the lightning mode userscript so you don’t have to say next at all, you will save a lot of time on your reviews.