LipSurf - WaniKani Voice Dictation. Review while you eat, do chores, etc

Do you mean this?

I think it’s the Browser plugin that’s interfering with the WaniKani plugin. If I remember correctly I had turned it off since the beginning and only recently re-activated it to try it out.

It looks like you have at least one custom homosyn added but in another language (Japanese most likely). Can you switch to Japanese (by scrolling up and changing the language to Japanese temporarily) then show me that same Custom Homosyn Plugin?

Oh yeah, there’s one in Japanese.

Totally missed this notification :confused:

Did you get it working? I can look into it tomorrow.

Yeah so I added the same homophone you have there and it wasn’t giving me any issues. Maybe there is some weird bug that’s since fixed in the dev 1.10 version I’m running now, but let me know if you continue to get it after the next version and we’ll do a more in depth look together :slight_smile:

Sure thing. :slight_smile:

Finally, after more than a month of slaving away… v1.10 has been released! Ooof, that was a tough release :relieved:

Hope you guys like the wake-word, push to talk key and growing wk compatibility.

Things have been rewritten from the ground up. I’ve been squashing lots of bugs, but if you notice anything, please don’t hesitate to let me know!

Release video & more notes: Updates | LipSurf

2 Likes

Very excited for the new release! Haven’t had the chance to test it on a big review stack yet as I’m about to level-up, but I can’t wait to see how the new homophones work! I’ve come across many more since the last time I sent a report about it, but figured you were working on it and didn’t want to spam you over something that was already in progress. Thanks for all your hard work! Lipsurf is a fantastic tool.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! Are you aware of the custom “homosyn” feature (when you click on the live text and add custom homophones/synonyms)?

If something isn’t recognized correctly (even in Japanese), be sure to add it as a custom homophone, that way it will work for you immediately for that review (and all the subsequent reviews of that item) also I’ll be able to add them as official homophones if I see a homophone as a common problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re absolutely welcome! And I had no idea about that feature, thanks for the heads up! I’ll definitely be doing that from here on out. Glad to hear you’re further ahead on that issue than I realized! Thanks again for the hard work!

Haven’t seen many people using the custom homophones yet. I need to do a better job of documenting functionality. Were you able to get it working?

I haven’t used it yet, been meaning to ask about it. When I click on the live text, I get a window that allows me to change what I said to a separate word. Is that the same function? I just want to make sure it doesn’t completely render the word it originally hears/suggests useless before I start manipulating it.

In all seriousness, though, I haven’t had enough issues recently to remember any specific homophones that were causing issues. Part of that is I’ve been studying at my computer less.
The most frequent one I remember having was えん showing up as 塩 and not switching to hiragana.

2 Likes

I’ve just added that homosyn for 塩. Thanks for letting me know.

Yes, that’s the functionality I was talking about. Any ones you add you’ll be able to see in the options under the “Custom” plugin. From there you can always disable any later, so it’s all undo-able. You can also completely remove all the custom settings you have with the “reset to factory settings” button.

Actually I’m working on adding another type of homophone so there will be two types soon (soft and hard). Hard ones will always replace their counterparts in the transcript, and soft ones will only take affect if the original transcript is not a valid command. The hard ones will do as you said, essentially eliminating the original spoken phrase from the vocabulary and replacing it with something else.

Hope it makes sense.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks for the reply!

I’ll start using the function more liberally from now on to help out with your statistics. And that makes great sense, sounds like you’ve got some great plans for the software! Seriously appreciate the work you’re doing with this. It’s helped a lot with cementing vocab/kanji readings into my memory for when I need to recall them in daily conversation, on top of making studying a bit less tedious!

1 Like

v1.11 has been released. Contexts are now here! I still need to put the WaniKani plugin in it’s own context. That will be in a subsequent release.

Just a heads up, if you’ve disabled the Browser plugin before, you’ll need to go into the options and re-disable like functionality (now split into Scrolling, Tabs & Windows, LipSurf, TextInput and Navigation).

Still pretty new to using this, but is there a way to manually go back and mark an item as incorrect? Sometimes LipSurf will think I’m saying the correct answer when I’m not (and they’re really not close…), and sometimes I’ll say the right answer but the live text will show something completely different–and WaniKani accepts it, despite it not being a synonym.
Besides that, I’m really loving using this! I usually read my reviews aloud anyways when I’m alone, so it fits in pretty well with my studying.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried this script? WK Double Check

1 Like

I’ll have to give that a shot! Thank you!

Hey folks, due to high demand… I’ve just added a new pricing plan that is specifically for language learners. It has the WaniKani plugin currently and will have the upcoming DuoLingo plugin etc.

It’s half the price. See the pricing plans here: Pricing | LipSurf

It does not have the wake-word or dictation mode features.

Current Subscribers:
If you have already subscribed to LipSurf Pro, then email me at miko@lipsurf.com and let me know if you want to downgrade to the new Plus plan and I can refund you the remaining part of the year if you had the yearly subscription.

1 Like

Peeps,
Thinking about review speed… what if LipSurf let you do all your meaning reviews first, then Japanese. Anyone have any opinion on that?