LingoDeer App Japanese (SRS/grammar)

If it’s mutliple choice, I think it’s fine to auto check (although mis-taps can be a pain as I regularly experience with Memrise), but if it requires you to type something in then I’m not such a huge fan since I don’t really feel like I’m being tested.

Definately a great habit to get into

For me, this really depends on what resource I’m using. For most resources I’m content with taking my time, making sure I fully understand the sentence before moving on. In these, spending the slight extra time tapping a few buttons isn’t a problem, since I’ll spend way longer looking and thinking about the sentence anyway. I think the key difference though is whether you’re using the resource to learn or to review. When it comes to reviewing, I’ll happily speed through. But when I’m learning fresh material I’ll take my time.

Basically in short: Learning resources are fine being slow for beginners, but they wont be good for more advanced users reviewing material.

At least that’s how I feel. Again, I’m looking at the app through a learning perspective though I’d agree that it’s just too slow to review Japanese stuff.

1 Like

Looks like the iOS version is live (just appeared today apparently).

I’m currently learning Chinese (school didn’t have Japanese due to the lack of Japanese professors and/or lack of student interest) so this may help me excel on what I’m learning right now in class.

2 Likes

I’m giving this app a try. It seems cute, and might help reinforce some concepts.

Oh cool!! I’ve been looking for something like this!!! Thanks!!!

Hi all, I’m associated with the LingoDeer app. I just discovered this thread as someone mentioned it to me. Thanks for all the feedback here! I’ll forward them to the developers and designers and nudge them to improve the usability and lessons. Feel free to keep sharing your thoughts! ありがとうございます!

10 Likes

Ooh, thanks for sharing. I’ve been looking into phone apps and downloaded Memrise but haven’t tried it yet.

Just one question… How are you using DuoLingo for Japanese? When I tried it, it didn’t have Japanese as an option.

When did you try it last? Japanese was just added a few months ago.

I tried it about a year ago, and did end up using it for Spanish for a
while, but then deleted it.
At the suggestion of a friend who uses it for French, I went to download it
again just a couple weeks ago and the description information didn’t
include Japanese as an option, so I didn’t bother downloading it again.

Seems like they just forgot to update the description, so I’ll try again!
Thank you. :slight_smile:

You could always get an android emulator like BlueStacks to play/use android games/apps on your PC. I used BlueStacks for years to play Clash of Clans because I can’t stand playing games on my cell.

3 Likes

Japanese for DuoLingo is only available on the Android/IOS apps, so if you try to get it in the website, it doesn’t exist (and then if you try to access it from the website it will bump you to the language selection screen and force you to choose another language too).

Out of curiosity, I popped over to the Mandarin side of Lingo deer. It teaches you to write hanzi! A little bit. So far, the Japanese side has not taught me any Kanji, and it seems to be very kana focussed (eg, when you assemble sentences, you do it out of kana; in Mandarin, you do it with hanzi)

Also, the mandarin ‘r’ is difficult. It sounds like they’ve got a sock in their mouth, at least with the recorded speaker :wink:

Yup, I’m talking about the app in the Google Play store, for downloading apps to my Android phone. Here’s a screenshot of the app description. Doesn’t list Japanese, so I didn’t download it. Based on Ryouki’s info, I went back and installed it yesterday. It does have it!
Will probably still try LingoDeer as well.

Hey, welcome here.
Could you please have a word or two about what the app covers?
I mean there seems to be a lot of units but I can’t really figure out how far it goes?
Do you think the app takes us to N5? N4? N3? or maybe you didnt use them a a reference to create the syllabus?
Why I’m asking this is because I’m having a hard time choosing between all of these materials and I can’t obviously use them all, whether it’s your app, Genki, Bunpro, Tae Kim, Duolingo, Imabi, they all have ups and downs but I’d like to avoid wasting my time with redundancies as much as possible.
Thank you for your answer and good job, that app is very nice.

I downloaded this app yesterday and started going through the Japanese and Chinese lessons. It’s excellent. I’m finding the Chinese audio particularly helpful.

2 Likes

Reading this says Genki I and Genki II material. I would only use the app to back up what you have already learnt- exactly what I am doing now actually. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve read this article but I don’t really know what genki covers anyway so…
Plus i was interested to get an insight from the staff

Having scanned through the app’s content, it does look like it covers pretty much all the grammar points that are in Genki I and II. I expect you’d pick up more vocab by doing Genki, but the accessibility and integration of an app may be more effective for some people. The app is probably more enjoyable too. But having done Genki first, I can’t really say how useful the app would be for someone who hasn’t done Genki. My hunch is that the app would be more effective as an introduction.

1 Like

I read somewhere (either on the Lingodeer Facebook page or the app store page, I can’t remember) that the app covers the things necessary for N5. I don’t think it goes any higher than that for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love LingoDeer so much!! I’m doing Genki, but I’m using the app for a little extra practice and it’s super cute and effective.

1 Like